Rowe Electronics Power Distribution Module PDM60: anybody try one?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by John Smallberries, Nov 17, 2010.

1. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    These work great for a clean PDM60 install and avoid any wire consumption concerns: http://www.posi-lock.com/positite.html
  2. ady-uk

ady-uk n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you but I don't like those either.
    They are massive. 12 of those and you have a bunch of grapes to hide :(
  3. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

Lot of whining and whinging there for what amounts to a non-issue...

If the fixed length of wire is your big, oh-my-God worry then why not just put male-female bullet-connectors on each of the PDM60's wires and on whatever you wish to wire to it? Then if you want to move the PDM60 to another bike, or you change electrical farkles, you simply unplug it...

What's the problem? :dunno

Or were you just looking for a reason to post your own wish list and then diss the product here because it didn't meet your rather odd requirements? A simple perusal of the product's website and/or this thread would have quickly and easily told you it didn't currently match your rather narrow criteria, so why bother? :brow

Dallara

~
  4. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    Talked with Rowe yesterday. I hate to quote dates, as things always seem to run longer than expected. That said - *this time* -- I really think it is a couple of weeks.

We have a supply of PDM60's that came in this week, sans USB cable. Our next batch, and all those going forward that Rowe supplies, will include the USB cable - and an upwards price adjustment.

We'll have a stock of cables to satisfy pent-up demand, as well.
  5. JPCollinsworth

JPCollinsworth Compulsive Spender

Oddometer:
    Adam, please check your PM's

Thanks - John
  6. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    John:

I just replied. We've been flat-out++ here. I apologize for the delay.
  7. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've spent ages wiring up relays, fuses, boxes, more relays and other crap over the years on my bikes. This time I did it different.

Ok, so I just installed one of these on my Ducati Monster.

Seriously, this was just so easy. I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting on the bandwagon and buying this thing sooner.

What a GREAT piece of kit.
  8. ngng

ngng Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bump!
  9. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vibration?
  10. ngng

ngng Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think that's it, I have the same kit on my DRZ without any issues. My buddy has an 07 R1200GSA with the same xenon that I have on my 09 R1200GSA and he has zero issues.
  11. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    ...Are finally here!!! WOOT!! :clap

Here's the deal - We are going to fulfill backorders for cables on Tuesday, and we have a good stock of 'em for anyone that wants one. We'll get these up on the website in the next few days. Retail price on the cable is $39.99.

Rowe has instituted a price increase with our latest PDM60 shipment that just came in. All of these new PDM60's have the USB cable in the package, $199.99 retail. The PDM60 will only be sold with the USB cable, going forward.

We have a handful of the PDM60's without the cables, but once we update the site, our remaining stock will only be sold with a USB programming cable.

Thought y'all'd wanna be the first to know. :deal
  12. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    I failed at my third attempt to run my Stebel horn thru my PDM60. I have estimated that the horn pulls 17 amps after ~1 second of full "blow". I joined together two 15-amp circuits (white and red) from my PDM60, thinking that each would feed the horn ~8.5 amps and I'd be good to go.

Well - it worked on the short test blasts. If you have one of these horns, you will understand that you DO NOT want to run it full-out in your garage, or anywhere that offends the neighbors. When I got the bike out on the road, away from people, I gave it the full-on 5-second blast - and it popped the circuit.

Has ANYONE out there successfully run a Stebel horn off a PDM60? If so - would you tell me exactly how yours is wired up?:ear:ear

Also - with the new programmable version - can I get a single circuit set to 20 amps?
  13. Squelch

Squelch Everyday People Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm interested to hear the answer to the Stebel question too - I bought one but haven't installed it yet. I may run it off bike power instead if the PDM60 can't handle it.
  14. RocketMoto

Oddometer:
    With the updated firmware on existing PDM60's (which we can update at our shop), or the newest PDM60's that have the USB programming cable option enabled, we've done Stebel horns in a 20A circuit. So far, so good.

Why yours is tripping the 2x 15A circuits, I cannot say - it shouldn't - but you know that, already. I'd suggest calling Blake at Rowe Electronics.
  15. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Adam;
    Very interesting. If I read your note correctly, you are able to calibrate a single channel on the new PDM60 to handle 20 amps. Did I get that right? This appears to be different than what I've seen written previously which implies a 15-amp limit to any individual channel.

From the RocketMoto website: "With custom programming, the current capacity of each circuit, up to 15Amps maximum, can be can be adjusted in .25A (1/4AMP) increments to meet your specific requirements."

If I can truly get a single channel at 20 amps - it may be worth the upgrade!
  16. Cerberus83

Cerberus83 The Wingman

Oddometer:
    @John - I think that's the whole idea behind the USB cable: to let users set their own amperage.

However, now I'm confused about the price... $200 for the unit + $40 for the cable or does $200 get you the unit AND the cable? Also, $40 for the USB cable?? :huh Seriously? Is it made by Monster Cables... can you post the pic of the cable?
  17. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    and a GOOD picture- high quality, well-lit plenty of detail?

:rofl
  18. Cerberus83

Cerberus83 The Wingman

Oddometer:
    Not sure what's so funny? If you think spending $40 on a USB cable (that costs under $.20 to produce and sells for under $3) is reasonable to you, then I have plenty of shit to sell you...

Don't believe me?
  19. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:

Easy, easy.

It was a joke about the photography services I offer.

Shhhhh. It's ok.
  20. Cerberus83

Cerberus83 The Wingman

Oddometer:
    My apologies :freaky

I still can't get over the price of the cable...