Should a dirt bike come with a title?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by DudeMang, Nov 15, 2012.

1. DudeMang

DudeMang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to buy a Kawa KDX 200 and I'm wondering if it should come with a title. I'm ignorant when it comes to off-road bikes and I'm hoping you guys can educate me. Any help would be much appreciated!
  2. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most true dirt bikes like the KDX did not come with a title from the factory. In some states it is easy to get a title on a dirt bike and in some it is not. If you plan to trailer it to a riding spot then you should be fine without one, but here we some times need to ride on county roads to connect trails and a title is much preferred.

So if you need one really depends on what you are going to use it for.

Marc
  3. ThanatosF

ThanatosF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I would argue what a "true" dirt bike is. In my opinion a true dirt bike certainly wouldn't have a headlight! I sold my 2001 Honda CR125 a few years back. I never had a title and was never asked for one.
  4. offrdr1975

offrdr1975 .

Oddometer:
    Some states require titles on all vehicles regardless of whether they are street legal or not. Illinois for example has a street legal title and also have a title that specifically states not for highway use. You need to find out the information for your state. If you are in a state that requires titles for all vehicles it can significantly impact the
    value of the bike and also raises questions about whether the bike is stolen if no title is being offered with the bike. So check your individual states laws.
  5. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had some instances where dirtbikes come with "dealership titles."
    Like people said already, a dirtbike shouldn't come with a true title that can be registered and tagged.

A good example would be a Bultaco Matador vs. a Bultaco Pursang. The matador came equipped with headlight and tail light, so it got a street legal title. The Pursang was Bultaco's true "dirtbike," so you don't really see titles for them.
  6. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    Florida started registering dirt bikes and quads in 2001 I believe. I have a 1999 WR400F that I bought new, it came with a BOS only from the dealer. In 2001 I bought a Honda Rancher, and it came with an MSO that the dealer had to mail to the DMV. In return I got a title in the mail that said "for off highway use only."

So it depends what state you are in and the year of the bike. I understand there is a mechanism to obtain a title for my Yamaha, but I only ride it on private land and have the BOS for proof of ownership. If I was going to ride it at an OHV area, I would need to get an off-road title for it.

But, I recently bought an XR650R that had been tagged and titled in TN since new (2007). Because it was already tagged in another state, I was able to get a street-legal title and tag in FL. If it hadn't been tagged, the best I coulda done was register it in FL as an "off-highway vehicle" and the title would have said so.
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    In CA every bike made comes with a title,how do you prove you own it or register it for an offroad sticker with out a title? Now some ins companies are insuring OHV's,probably not with out a title though.
  8. DudeMang

DudeMang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Off-road sticker? Does CA have to get paid for everything you do?
  9. SprintSix

SprintSix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ohio- Must have title or certificate of origin to ride anywhere but private property. If your riding private property and the law comes, you will have to prove ownership or have it impounded. This also applies to any state Ohio is linked to via the ORV sticker.

All bikes come with paperwork from the dealer. No matter what state your in. If your hearing:"its a dirt bike it dont come with a title or need one." It did and it does. It may not be a streetable title but it did come with something.
  10. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    no stickers needed, because there are no public places to ride them.

It's 50/50 here, all came with a mso, most get lost/dropped to not pay sales and or property tax

That was the same with quad registration/plating in PA, but ATVs on private property still need registered. I still don't know anyone who actually got one registered/plated.

I have never seen a pa title for a off road bike either.
  11. Rockcat

Rockcat LDA

Oddometer:
    Many states have off-road stickers.
  12. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:

In a nutshell. YES
  13. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    No MX bikes sold in MI for sure ever had titles in the 70s. You got a bill of sale (basically a receipt) from the dealer not a title of any kind. That was your proof of ownership.So there never was a title per se on old bikes like this and they are in need of a bill of sale that is notorized in most states to be legit. Titles for OR only bikes are a relatively new invention. Some states (like MI) allow you to title one for the street if it is converted and inspected. Others (like NM) will not allow you to convert one under any circumstances. A KDX200 in Michigan will often have a plate and an ORV sticker on it, but this could not be done in New Mexico or many other states.It varies with every state.
  14. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    No MX bikes sold in MI for sure ever had titles in the 70s. You got a bill of sale (basically a receipt) from the dealer not a title of any kind. That was your proof of ownership.So there never was a title per se on old bikes like this and they are in need of a bill of sale that is notorized in most states to be legit. Titles for OR only bikes are a relatively new invention. Some states (like MI) allow you to title one for the street if it is converted and inspected. Others (like NM) will not allow you to convert one under any circumstances. A KDX200 in Michigan will often have a plate and an ORV sticker on it, but this could not be done in New Mexico or many other states.It varies with every state.