Southern Maryland Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by EOD3MC, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    This arrived in today's mail:
    [​IMG]

I've had fun pluggin in POI (Waterfalls, hot springs, glaciers). Seems most of the tour companies hit a loop that is 70-80% similar to eachother. The bad news is that this probably will be just a trip that waits in the wings as a back-up plan.

Having yourself as a crappy tour guide, Iceland gets way cheaper... :evil Bike rental is 140EU($200) day and another $150 day for food/lodging.
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Blaster and I have often thought that going out west with the bikes is a huge time factor. We've pondered how to eat the elephant, a few bites at time.

Surely, the way to get the most bang for your bike is to leave it somwhere for that season as you do-fly-and-rides. The down side this approach is that you spend cash on airline flights, but you get back riding days. Another option would not to take your bike at all, and just do rentals. This spends more cash, but less head ache in one sense.

Just doodling some thoughts down on electrons. The more I think about it, there really isn't any reason you'd need to do these back to back years, and you could ship your bike home between riding seasons.

[​IMG]
  3. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    I have to say that I accomplished absolutely NOTHING today and it sucks! Tomorrow will be better and more productive! It looks like the first time it was about 5 weeks before they started letting me put weight on the foot. I will be finishing up week two Wednesday so if I am lucky maybe 3 more weeks and I can start moving back into a better life. It also looks like I was full weight bearing by 01 December as well, so maybe December could be back to a somewhat normal life and trying to walk normally....hopefully without pain. The worst part about the no weight bearing on the bad foot is getting on and off the crapper. Your basically doing a one legged squat with the other one stuck straight out in front of you. I am just glad I have pretty strong legs and can do it all by myself, but it's still not easy. Probably TMI but these are the things we normally take for granted.
    I can tell you I am more positive this time than last time but this not being able to do much sucks none the less.
  4. blaster11

Oddometer:
    In case you guys were wondering where this all came from Keith's brother apparently lives out in Utah and has a rather large garage with an extra stall. So the plan is to get bikes out there and then buy basically a commuter pack of airline tickets to Salt Lake and go explore the area on our bikes on weekends and long holiday and then at some point bring the bikes home via shipper or maybe ride them who knows.
  5. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
  7. macaroni

macaroni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dana, I keep thinking I'll walk out and see her sitting there...:cry
  8. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fucked up Matt. I find that cursing, cocksuckermotherfuckers, helps.
  9. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:

Ok, so those highlighted in yellow can run a 5k, no matter how slow. Of people on that list, what other workouts are you doing right now?
  10. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    and why do you want to know?:wink:
  11. SwellsRides

SwellsRides Come ride the Himalayans!!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Why do you want to know? And just because I have been MIA for a few months, why am I not on the list? I can run a 5K or 2. Will there be beer involved, before, during and after? It's my Gatorade.
  12. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Would you like to be added to the list Swells?
  13. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    Well, if we're gonna do this, we should do it right, you know?
  14. SwellsRides

SwellsRides Come ride the Himalayans!!

Oddometer:
    Think I missed what this was about. Just know I like running:happay, I love motorcycles:p3rry, and love drinking beer:freaky with people that like those things...... So thought I might be missing an opportunity to do any of the above.

So Yes, please include me if it involves, running, riding, drinking or just generally shooting the shit about any of those topics.

THANKS!!
    Swells
  15. blaster11

Oddometer:
    In a nut shell I had planned to do a mud run of some type this year as a way of getting in shape and recovering from my foot injury/surgery. So I kind of threw it out there and others are obviously interested in participating as well. What we seem to have decided on so far is;
    ChisenhallW has taken the lead, which is awesome, and trying to figure out some areas that we could work on to be.....ummm more likely to finish without injury to yourself or others trying to assist you....yeah that's it. :D I think pretty well sums it up.
  16. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Even though I am not on the list of people capable of completing a 5 K I will break the ice.
    I try to work out 3 to 4 times a week for about 1.5 hrs
    Of that time I spend about 20 to 30 minutes on a stationary bike (due to the foot injury).
    The rest of my time is split between upper and lower body exercises with core exercises as well.
    I have been doing more core and upper due to some limitations on lower.
    I concentrate a lot on shoulders, upper and lower back.

My biggest issues will be my diet as I need to drop a lot and getting running/more heavily into the cardio work out. So those are really my two goals is more cardio/diet work and to maintain in the other areas.
  17. blaster11

Oddometer:
    The one thing I forgot to add is that one of my short term goals is to get my cardio on the bike up to an hour per session multiple times per week
  18. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    A good general rule of thumb is to increase the amount of time you're doing cardio by 20% every two weeks.

Seeing as how a warrior dash is a mixed aerobic & anaerobic workout, some interval training is going to be on order before too long as well.
  19. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Things to wanderlust about doing..

Thu Oct 24-27 VA Adventure Riders Campout - http://www.crabtreefallscampground.com/
    Fri Oct 25-26 Mountain Man 400 Dual Sport and Adventure Bike Challenge - Giles County VA
    Sat Oct 26-27 Ride in the Pines Dual Sport Ride - South NJ
    Sat Oct 26-27 MAX BMW Motorsport Off-Road Performance School - Hunter Mountain Resort, NY
    Sun Oct 27 301 Riders Harescamble - Dahlgren, VA
    Sat Nov 2-3 Hammer Run Dual Sport Event - New Jersey
    Mon Nov 4 Baltimore RTE (Hosted by LoPL) - 2 hrs radius from Baltimore, MD
    Sat Nov 9 Colin Busch Presents Long Distance on a Budget - Bob's BMW Jessup, MD
    Sun Nov 10 Fall Trail Ride - Eagle Bay/Dahlgren, Va

More information all post #2 calendar (click on each event)

Got ideas/events for calendar? Send them in
  20. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Good piece of information...thanks!

Chisenhall....what does your typical routine look like?

I talked to one of the trainers at the gym tonight and he said he had a really good time doing the Tough Mudder other than when he blacked from getting shocked and woke up face up in the mud in the dead cockroach position. :lol3 He said he will most likely go back next year. I ask him how his body took it and he said that he was sore all over but not like hurt sore just like he worked hard sore. He invited me along next year and I told him I would have to wait and see how things go.