BMW R1150RT / 1200RT / R1250RT Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. k12lts

k12lts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem, I do it all the time.
  2. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    I fabbed a spacer out of 1/8"x1" wide aluminum strap from home depot to mount between the frame mount tab and the seat adjuster mechanisms and that fixed the sliding forward problem with the comfort seat on my "02 R1150RT-P. I had heard of someone using 1/4"x1" aluminum, but I had some 1/8" on hand, tried it and it worked. Thought I'd share in case anyone is looking!
  3. rous44

rous44 Long timer

Oddometer:

??????
    Have a picture of the mod?

4. fastbikedroid

fastbikedroid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Old thread, but yes I have .. still working on a write-up but PM me if you're still looking for info.
  5. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    Here's a few:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in this too...
  7. fastbikedroid

fastbikedroid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since we're having what I'm guessing is the final weekend of 80+' weather here I'll finish this up and post later in the week!
  8. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Yeah? Where you at?
  9. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer:
    I am having weird ABS faults on my '02 1150RT. It started out random but now it looks to be here to stay.

At first my ABS light would flash while I was riding, I would try the brakes and found that the servos were disabled. Usually I would try the brakes roll a little, the ABS would reset and I would continue on my merry way.

Just recently on my way home from the Barber Vintage Festival I was puling into a rest area as it happened...ABS light on solid, no servo brakes. When I stopped I noticed my brake light was on even though no brake lever was being applied. I thought maybe a faulty brake light switch. I left the rest area and a couple miles up the road the ABS light went out and the servos were active again.

Today as I was pulling into my garage it happened again. I checked the brake light it wouldn't work with either the front or rear. I rapped on the taillight housing and it cam on and stayed on. I turned the Ign switch off and left it off for a couple of minutes. I turned the Ign switch back on and the brake light was off. Pulled the bulb out of it's holder, put it back in and the brake light came on and stayed on.

I have checked the tail light bulb and brake light bulb with my meter and the read good.

Here is the weird thing...when I pulled fuse #1 out, the ABS warning relay starts cycling and when I try my brake light it works normally with either the front or rear being applied....any ideas????:ear
  10. drivefastandswerve

drivefastandswerve Indianapolis

Oddometer:
    Yea, well, I'll get to it maybe over Thanksgiving weekend. This is not good. :cry

Parts ~600.00, labor=free--->me! Probably my most challenging job!

Need to do the little stuff first, valve adj, change oil/filter, new ABS sensor for the front, etc.....

If anyone has experience doing this, please let me know.........chuck :eek1

Attached Files:

11. BOETJE

BOETJE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am considering going for a RT , after riding GS's ,R's and RS. The wind noise is just getting to me. I rode a 1200 RT yesterday, and was really impressed with how light it feels( looks HUGE). The 1150/ 1100 RT's look a lot better though, and are easier to come by. Haven't had a ride on one yet , but a lot of people reckon they handle a lot worse then the 1200RT. Anybody has experience with aftermarket shocks on the 1150/1100 RT ?.
    I know it doesn't take away the weight difference, but it should help the handling. Is the wind protection ( noise and buffeting) any worse on the oilheads compared to the 1200 ?
  12. rous44

rous44 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do not have first hand experience with different shocks on the 1150, but changing to Wilbur shocks made an amazing improvement on the 1200. My friend put Ohlins on his 1150 and claimed it completely transformed the handling.
    But, like you said, you are still dealing with the weight difference.

13. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I had an '04 GT and the RT is so much better! The wind noise and buffeting is far better than the GT, seating and riding position is much better, and to be honest I don't miss that bike at all! Get one, you will love it! :clap

Attached Files:

14. Brisco

Brisco Chik'n Eater

Oddometer:
    I may be able to offer some advise, at least pertaining to my R1150RT
    I just replaced the clutch disk and sent my transmission to Anton for an input spline replacement.
    I do have an extensive checklist for removal written up for an R1150RT
  15. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question about the BMW 4 Stage Charger. Does it ever reach a point where it just stays at the full charge indicated by the green light as the older charger models did? Mine seems to stay green for a while and then run through the cycles again.
    The manual does state that "reduction of the battery voltage in Stage 4 causes a reset - and the cycle starts again from the beginning, and that the battery cannot be overcharged." However it seems like it runs through the cycles quite often.
    It just seems a bit unusual, and I'm wondering if it's normal?

Thanks for your replies.
  16. Skred

Skred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Firenailer,

Check that all your switches are turned off, including the key and master switch. Then disconnect the battery for one minute to dump any memory the computers might have. Reconnect the battery and see if that works.

Constant recycling of the battery charger cycle may indicate another problem, like the battery is faulty or a loose wire.

Skred
  17. Papermaker

Papermaker Infrequent Poster

Oddometer:
    I had a R1100RT with Ohlins shocks front and back and currently have an R1200RT with ESA. Even with the Ohlins on the R1100RT there's no comparison. The R1200RT handles far better IMHO.

Having said that, adding the Ohlins did improve both the ride and the handling of my R1100RT. Even my wife, who's not normally intune with such things, noticed the immediate improvement in ride quality after switching to the Ohlins shocks.

I found that the wind noise/buffetting for the rider was comparable between the two bikes. On the R1100RT I added an aftermarket windshield to improve buffeting for the passenger.
  18. BOETJE

BOETJE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for your replies gentlemen
  19. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Did my clutch earlier this year and added some pics and commentary in this thread. Slippage caused by leaking input shaft seal and/or bad slave cylinder. Installed the Siebenrock oil resistant disc just in case. It's slightly more than stock but much less than Touraech. While I had the trans out, I changed both rear main seals on the engine, and the input and output seals on the trans. I kept having leaks from the output shaft, make sure the seal is tight to the shaft. Wrote about my troubles here. All in all not that bad of a job if you have decent tools and some mechanical ability. Feel free to PM me if you get stuck.
  20. Chuck az

Chuck az Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally a pic of my bike. It was Blue when I got it and I had it painted Lambo Primer Grey Metallic. I did the graphics on it myself.

[​IMG]
    patrkbukly and dixiethedog like this.