CE Spec Motorcycle Gloves- Group Buy

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by velocitygear, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Miles Tugeaux

Miles Tugeaux Adventurer

Oddometer:
    John,

PM sent - need to exchange a pair.

MT
  2. velocitygear

velocitygear Killer Moto Gloves

Oddometer:
    Another missed detail.....

Our next order is going to be for our Formula gloves in all black, with the bridge and perforations.

Anyone with the same issues, use your current gloves until we can replace them with Formula's if necessary...

I'd like to be able to bitch about it but realistically, they're doing me a favor with these small orders and over the top construction requests.

Given the known delays, etc. Anyone looking for a BLACK FORMULA GROUP BUY??????

................................................................................................................................
  3. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    I would be interested. Large size.
  4. velocitygear

Oddometer:
    Thank You for the post, I appreciate your interest. Let's see how many we can drum up.

--Pass it around--

PLEASE NOTE: payment to delivery time-frame of 4-12 weeks. Not very specific but I don't want to upset any ADVRiders. Customs won't be an issue this time around, just meeting the numbers and getting them built.

I'll be using the "preferred" sewing house on this order, fit and detailing will only improve this time around.

Unfortunately, I'll need to triple our last group buy for this glove model to make the minimum production requirement. I had hoped for more glove sales after the last group buy, or at least some requests for another group buy..
    There's been a few but not as many as I had hoped.

Reviews were very good across the board. A few sizing issues but that issue will disappear with the preferred sewing house.

$149.00 for a glove that is unmatched in terms of physical CE testing requirements seems like a steal to me..

What say you; ADVRiders?
  5. gamerfou

gamerfou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested if what we talked about in PM can't be done.

I know a few people who might be interested too, but not without first seeing them or at least having my opinion about them...
  6. TeakRider

TeakRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi John:
    PM you, please check my order.
  7. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    John,

I want to be clear on this as I have not used my Prodigy's yet.

You are saying to use them until the Formula's come in...new Formula's will have the bridged fingers and perforations.......then just return the Prodigy's for an exchange?
    If that is the case, then count me in to exchange mine for a size Medium, all black Formula once they arrive.

This is a very generous offer.

Keep me posted.

Cheers
  8. Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson n00b

Oddometer:
    Ordered a pair of Exhibition from the web site before learning of this discussion. GREAT looking and quality. Returned because my hand is longer than the large size. Can hardly wait to get them back!

So, I liked them so much I would like a second pair of formula or prodigy, when I know the size. However, I really can not tell the difference from the web site between prodigy and formula.
  9. petieboy

petieboy n00b

Oddometer:
    I'd be in for a medium.
  10. Andela

Andela n00b

Oddometer:
    I am interested...Pm Sent
  11. Mrs. Potato Dick

Mrs. Potato Dick DJ Supersoak

Oddometer:
    Okay count me in for an XL pair of the all black Formula gloves. I too would prefer to be able to try them on before purchase but for $149.00 I'll roll the dice. Please advise how you would like me to proceed and what the expected delivery date is.....maybe too soon to tell?

PS - I'm the guy whose dillh*le buddy bent and broke the spine protector on his Juggernaut. Please let me know how long that'll take to fix. I do still have a 6-plate Juggernaut as well so it's not like I am without protection. Looking forward to getting it back for sure.
  12. nectar_balen

nectar_balen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I might be interested in the black Formulas, though I'm leaning towards something a little more "summer friendly" like the Exhibition Pro.

So two questions I guess:

Any suggestions on the difference in ventilation between the models and which would be most appropriate for me? We have had some pretty good New England humidity rocking here lately and these would be street duty cummuting gloves.

If your thinking something other than the Formula would be good, would you be throwing some other models in the group or would you happen to have an ADVrider discount for them?

Anyone else who has had them care to chime in on the hot weather experience?

Thanks!
  13. slimey_cucumber

slimey_cucumber n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Sounds like a great deal for some fantastic gloves.
  14. Mrs. Potato Dick

Mrs. Potato Dick DJ Supersoak

Oddometer:
    FYI - I have seeen this before with Velocity Gear. I ordered a Juggernaut with a 7-plate spine protector and they only had a 6-plate in stock. They sent me the 6-plate and then just told me to keep it when the 7-plate arrived. Classy.
  15. Elder_MMHS

Elder_MMHS n00b

Oddometer:
    I finally received my pair of Prodigy gloves a couple weeks ago. I'm a new rider with only three months riding experience and I prefer to over-invest in hand protection due to my occupation (I sit in front of a computer all day long). For reference, I rotate through two other pairs of gloves (A* GP Plus, and one of their cold weather/waterproof Drystar gloves) in addition to this.

The overall fit of the glove is terrific - I have a small hand and the XS glove fit perfectly. The double velcro closures were all high-quality and had terrific adjustment. The gauntlet overlaps my leather jacket sleeves smoothly. This is the best fitting glove I have tried on (which numbers at about a dozen due to my small hand sizing).

The feel, however, is a mixed bag. The glove liner (keprotec?) comes off as initially harsh/rough and didn't feel good until I got a few hundred km of riding on the gloves. It now feels comfortable.

On the Prodigy, the finger stitching is on the interior. When I initially ordered the gloves in February, I knew nothing of the value of exterior stitching. After now having my two A* gloves with this feature, I understand much more clearly. Feeling the seams on the fingertips, while not a show-stopper, is an added minor detraction from the overall feel.

The worst part was the hard knuckle protector base which dug into the top of my hands while clenching a fist form. It seems there is some foam padding underneath the floating knuckle but insufficient coverage to reach to the far end of the base. Maybe this has something to do with scaling the glove to an XS hand? Regardless, this proved to be very uncomfortable and initially bordered on unbearable for any ride longer than 45 minutes. I improvised by cutting a small strip of 5mm light foam packing sheet and inserting them underneath the knuckle protector. It's a bit "ghetto" but did the job and I can now wear the gloves for indefinite periods of riding.

The build quality of the glove is good - the fibres on some of the stitching are fraying slightly but I'm not too worried about it at the moment. The other safety features (scaphoid protectors, gauntlet/wrist protector, etc.) are well-integrated and appropriately beefy. The extra layer on the inner palms are holding up.

As for the "missing" features - the missing ventilation perforations are indeed unfortunate; I don't wear this glove during hotter days because of this. I also always though a pinky bridge would interfere with control feel. After riding with both pairs of A* GP Plus gloves (which do have the finger bridge), I realized it was pretty inconsequential and a nice safety feature. Would have been nice to see it here.

Oddly enough, many of the issues are addressed in the Formula gloves - they have external finger stitching and a finger bridge. They also have TPU knuckle protectors on the fingers and fabric to cover the wrist velcro adjuster. In hindsight and after seeing the "all black" photos posted a while back, I would have taken those over the Prodigy, especially at the same price. Like an earlier poster, I initially chose the Prodigy because it had a more subdued look (colour, mainly) that I prefer under the advisement of one of John's postings and the photos available on the Velocity Gear website.

Despite all the criticisms I may have, I do like the glove a lot and still think it's a great value, especially with the Kangaroo leather. I would switch to this when riding in the cooler spring/summer days and evenings.

[​IMG]
  16. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good review.
    Although slightly less protection, the Exhibition Pro address the exterior stitching and perforation issues you have. Just a thought. I bought both, and am unsure which ones I'll keep. I agree on the stitching bunching up in the fingers on the Prodigy. Annoying, but the full velcro strap makes up for it. I've never had a pair of gloves that secured so well on my hand thanks to my (apparent) small wrists. I was hoping the Exhibition Pro would be a full on hot weather glove, but it's not. The perforations don't do anything, and the vent on the knuckle protector doesn't either. Maybe, the shorter gauntlet makes a tiny bit of difference but not much. These are gonna be hot over 80 or so.

Not a critique. These are awesome gloves. 2 pairs are overkill since they basically fill the same need. Just need to decide which to keep. I wore my Racer High Ends the other day for a couple hundred miles just for fun, and they felt like a toy in comparison. Actual crash test it's hard to tell how well they'd hold up compared to the Velocity Gear gloves, but they are full race gloves so...
  17. velocitygear

Oddometer:
    Thank You for the post. I'll just touch on this again, since I believe this is what separates us from the rest....

It's impossible to "judge" a products true abilities by simply wearing it. The minor issues encountered here are simply due to manufacturing and limited quantities. If I had a 50th of the resources available to the mainstreamers, there would be no limits...

I post these numbers, because you won't find any manufacturer, anywhere that will outperform these numbers. Hell, you won't get any testing data from any of them. The reason your "other" gloves feel inadequate in comparison, is simply because they are. Aside from abrasion resistance, no other gloves mentioned here can touch our numbers posted....NONE OF THEM! NOT ONE!

I have the testing documentation and proof to show what my glove chassis is capable of. I'm still having manufacturing difficulty, the reason for all of the little nonsense, like missed bridges, etc.... I have a box of blems to boot!!!

My single biggest hurdle is Manufacturing, enough so that I've wanted to quit this "hobby" many times over the years. Someone else will get a clue and copy my design sooner or later and my inability to get consistent competent manufacturing is once again at the forefront! It drives me FU@#*&$ crazy at times....

4.9. Tear Strength- passing = 40N

---VelocityGear gloves- 165.75N

4.10. Seam Strength- passing 15N/mm

---VelocityGear gloves- 21.4n/mm

4.11. Cut Resistance- 2.2 on the cutting index

---VelocityGear gloves- 21.2

4.12. Abrasion Resistance- 2.5seconds

---VelocityGear gloves- 7.96s

All numbers are "mean" adjusted.

As much as I want to be upset over the nonsense, this email from one of my Manufacturers sums it up:

"We are in a messed up country, if you live here then you know. We have electricity shortage, we have natural gas shortage, we have severe petrol shortage these days. We have on and off shortage of wheat, sugar. We have shitty medical facilities. Our educational system sucks. Moreover we have bombs every day. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT A LYCRA MESH :p HAHAHA man c’mon :p "

In response to a lycra swap that was incorrect...

Everyone says go to China but I'm not so sure that's a good choice either. I can't set-up a factory, I need the facilities that already exist with said materials and processes. I like to be able to pick and choose my components from a wide variety of existing products..

I'm too stubborn or stupid to quit, so I'll find a way. It's just part of the journey I guess......
  18. Tonic

Tonic n00b

Oddometer:
    Put me down for one medium size. After hemming and hawing extensively over gloves on the internet I'm attracted to all the features from the Formula (Knox Protectors, Kevlar stitching, kangaroo leather).
    As far as customizations go, would asking for the vented finger sliders as seen on the Exhibition Pro be too much to ask? It seems like full race-style gauntlets need all the ventilation they can get so that you don't have to leave them at home on those 80F+ days, as another poster mentioned.
    Just curious, have you even considered using perforated leather in greater amounts or would this impact the structural integrity significantly?

Also how many do you have so far and how many more to go for a group buy?
  19. gamerfou

gamerfou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    any news, velocitygear?

I just noticed a new hole in the palm of my left glove (leather torn by the stiches this time)... I really need a new pair of gloves.
  20. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like a pair of the Exhibition Pro's. My hand measures a whisker under 10" but my fingers are long. Should I be looking at an XL or a L. I wear 3xl in Axos due to my long fingers, but a XXL (Axo) would probably fit my palm better.

Cheers,

Adrian