Another alternator hits the dust and not under warranty

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by C5!, Jul 11, 2011.

1. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
  2. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    What did we determine the max temps our stators were getting to? I think I might have a phase in my stator burnt out already on my Rick's stator was thinking of just going to the new "updated" Bimmer parts though that's gonna cost a small fortune :deal
  3. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peak stator temp is dynamic. The highest temp I measured was 216c on a hot day after hard enough riding to purge coolant.

A 220 stator will not burn out at 240c it will just age quicker.

BMW uses 200c magnet wire which is unusual and why all the typical 180c aftermarket stators burn out quickly.

Assuming it is made well, a 220c stator would get my vote of confidence :)
  4. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:

Thanks for following this and sharing the info.

has anyone on this list installed one of these new elecrtosport stators?

Just an obsessive detail. my f650gs is up for the winter, has over 33k miles so I intend to open it up and inspect the condition of the stator...ie how toastie is it. at this point my system is working fine, but if it looks toasted I plan to replace the stator before next riding season.
  5. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    VTBob:

Per my contact, supply is just trickling in now as of last week they had sold just a handful ...
    as ... so far that was all they had received - it was a short run apparently done for a final QA inspection.
    That batch sold out quickly, and more is either here now or will be shortly.
    When the "full" batch comes in the website will be updated.
  6. 3Rrr

3Rrr Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer:
    Anyone use the Accel 152440 Stator?

My stator is going out and I need a replacement, but was told that Electrosport would be getting there's mid-Jan.
  7. goldentaco

goldentaco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have an F800 GS but for some reason I read through all 40 pages here as it was quite interesting.

Still have one question. The Series regulator talked about earlier like the Compufire is listed as ouputting 30% of the total current the OEM stator would when demand is low. I'm not sure if I misread one of the posts but wayyyy back in the pages I thought it was mentioned the series regulator will provide less power most of the time but when you need the full capacity of the stator, it will allow it to provide that.

Then later there was quite a few posts weighing the benefits or probability whether each rider could "deal" with the reduced power output of the series regulator or whether they would need more power for heated gear and gadgets.

Question is does the series regulator only always output a reduced current from the stator and thus "derating" the stator output ALLL the time? OR does it provide up to the 400 watts if needed but if not needed ramps stator output down to say 100 watts for the majority of the running time?

Reasons I'm curious the F650 Funduros are notorious for eating their VRR's ( regulator rectifiers) and my current one from an F650 GS while better, is on it's way out. Testing the stator output I noticed quite a noticeable jump in RPM's when the stator leads to the VRR are disconnected for testing. If the Series regulator like the Compufire could do similar on my application it may be worth considering...but only if at some point I'd have access to all 280w of my charging system's power.

Incidentally, I just ordered an FH020AA for my little beast. They do quite well on the Funduros and I like a safe bet.

J
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    The difference between the two, is merely that the shunt type cooks the stator at max all the time, and the series sort of just supplies what is needed of the system. So you might think why not just use the series. That question is hard to answer. As the series unit operates all ok....all is well, but when they fail they might drag other stuff with it.... Without going into too much confusion, I will say that it could send bad filtered ( large noise....ac ripples) perhaps over volted power to the system, where as the shunt type tends to just short itself to ground, and not damaging anything else in the process. It has been a while since I have studied the series r/r circuitry, and perhaps much has changed, but I have no doubt that the sure bet is the shunt, but are cautiously optimistic that after some beta testing long term results will prove me wrong. Only reason I would jump to a series, is if it helps the stator to run cooler. In the case of the 8gs, that it does, and that is needed, as it cooks the stators after several thousand miles. I hope I have not confused you more, but that is my two cents.....:D
  9. goldentaco

goldentaco Long timer

Oddometer:

"...so you're saying there's a chance"

I get the differences, and the failures of each are definitely of concern. I don't have computers on the bike but I'm sure there are a few things that could go :kboom after a failure.

But if there was a load total <= to the rated capacity of the stator would the Series regulator provide that? Or is it always putting out less than your stator running flat out could provide?

J
  10. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lower output referred to earlier in the thread is a reference only to the stated maximum ratings of the particular model of VR and the possibility of overloading it on the F800. Overall a good series VR will provide more of the stator output to the machine than a shunt VR

In general terms the series VR open circuits the stator in the process of regulating and a shunt VR short circuits the stator to ground hence the shunt regulator applies a constant load to the stator and this increases stator temperature

The other benefit of a series VR is the lower engine load it creates and so a very small increase in usable engine power can result. BMW are using slightly different techniques on the cars to reduce fuel consumption and increase engine response by "disconnecting" the alternator output under constant throttle and acceleration. They have called it "regenerative charging" which is only slightly misleading
  11. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just as I consider adding an 800 to my garage I see threads like this [​IMG]
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. The series type will just supply what the system is demanding. If for example you run a 200 watt system, it will draw and supply that. The remanding capacity will simply just not be generated..... thus the stator running cooler. It will do this up to its 400 watt capacity. It is the potential failure I would be worried about. Be interesting to talk with people who have run them for long periods of time.... perhaps even seen a failure...
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a 125$ fix.....:clap:freaky Come on board.....
  14. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 I know a guy with a great deal on one.... :lol3
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:clap:freaky:freaky
  16. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    I installed a Compufire on my Honda CBF1000 after the stator fried. It's a known problem with the CBFs, with some riders on the forum on their 3rd stator. Mine went at 24,000km and that's when I installed the Compufire, rode the bike another 16,000km and two years before selling it so I can't say for sure if the Compufire "fixed" the problem on the CBF or not. From my research and a few of us with CBFs who have tried them, they seemed to work and I had more confidence in the Compufire than running another stock unit that I knew would fry at some point.
  17. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know... I have a compufire in my 800 currently
  18. goldentaco

goldentaco Long timer

Oddometer:

Well that would be cool if I could somehow prevent the possible Event Horizon that may occur during a failure. Add a filter or something.

My last VR failed in a way most of our OEM's didn't...one diode shorted hard to the VRR chassis. The other diodes would short in a thermal runaway scenario. Acted like battery was dead. Once cooled, it would behave for a while until the next failure ( about 30 mins).

J
  19. goldentaco

goldentaco Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm most interested in it from an engine load point of view. With the possible freeing up of a pony or two or more like better fuel mileage it is enticing. Obviously other bikes have used it and with Harley's looking like they should literally shake themselves to a pile of bolts, the Compufire is targeted to that market. A failure would likely leave an imprint on the net I would guess.

Wayne, you're familiar with the F650's...would this be worth considering? Or is a perfectly well running bike that most definitely not erupt in flames a better option?

J

I know it's not that simple and sorry for steering this thread off the mark but I figure at 40 pages a page or two of nonsense won't hurt.:freaky
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indeed that is great to hear...... Thanks.