Need an advice on SoCal roads accessible in FebruaryHello, I'll be in LA for business

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by genka, Jan 24, 2013.

1. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I'll be in LA for business in the middle of February and would like to rent a bike for 3 days or so. There are a lot of great roads in the surrounding mountains, but it seems that snow and ice may be a problem at higher elevations. Where would you recommend me to go?
    Since I'll be on a rental, the ride will be limited to paved roads.
  2. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    You would be surprised at how little snow is a problem..... almost everything will be open and ready for riding
  3. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    It will depend on whether one of the pacific storms blows thru or not. If so, we get snow all the way through March. Otherwise all roads are open and clear.

There are currently ice patches in some higher elevations, generally about five thousand and up, that can make road treking quite dangerous. You just have to keep a close eye out and beware on north facing slopes. That said, there are plenty of lower elevations to enjoy.

Basically you break it down into which direction you're heading. We can get a start and then maybe more of the locals will chime in.

There are four basic routes out of the LA basin where we can list roads and routes to seek out. A Buttler map would be a good source of routes to seek, they've already rated the best touring and scenic roads in the area.

Here's a start

NORTH - over the grapvine
    Frazier Park, Pine Mountain Club to the 33
    Up 101 to Ojai and north, or continue to Santa Barbara, 154 route north
    Malibu, Malibu Canyons, Rock Store, Neptunes Nest

NORTHEAST - Cajon Pass
    Glendale Mountain Road GLR (Asuza)
    Angeles Crest Hiway

EAST - Inland Empire, east of Riverside/San Bernardino
    Hiway 15 to Temecula then east to Julien, Borrego Springs, the whole plateau up there
    Palm Springs

SOUTH - Orange County, San Diego County, and routes heading east along the way
    Santiago Road
    Ortega Hiway
    South Main Divide
    San Diego
  4. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I don't plan to spend the nights in LA, I'd rather go in the more remote places. It takes very little ice to dump a bike- I just did it yesterday. Doing it on a rental may be very expensive.
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Go to Death Valley, Anza Borrego or Joshua Tree, nice three day rideabout, weather no problem.

I have a good three dayer:

Day one.

40 east from Barstow to exit 78.
    North to Kelso.
    Right at Kelso to Cima.
    Right in Cima up to 164.
    164 to Searchlight Nevada (Motel) Easy day from LA

Day two.

95 north through Henderson, freeway to Vegas, cross over town and visit Red Rock Harley Davidson to see bike collection.
    Ride through Red Rock Canyon.
    Take 160 to towards Pahrump, stopping at the biker bar at Spring Mountain.
    Left on 372 at Pahrump.
    Becomes 178 in California.
    Turn right at Shoshone T.
    Eat at the Crowbar there and get a motel room. Easy day

Day three.

127 out of Shoshone to Baker.
    15 south towards LA. Easy day
  6. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
  7. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Какой байк будешь брать в прокат? Надеюсь в твои планы входит остановка в Beach Moto? :)
  8. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another suggestion: get the bike and start in San Diego, head up the range just east of I15 towards Hemet, from there go up over the mountains through Big Bear to Lucerne Valley if there hasn't been any recent snow, but if there is stay lower and go through 29 Palms to Lucerne valley. From there head west through Lake Elizabeth if no snow or Sierra Hwy if there is, then towards Ojai and up along the coast as far as you have time. Some great roads and nice scenery while avoiding most of that mess called LA. If you're flying in, you can probably fly into San Diego for the same price or less, or fly into La and back from San Diego and take the train from La to San Diego for something different.
  9. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Насчет байка еще не решил, наверное что-то бюджетное и непохожее на мой ГС. Мне сейчас из оджеды ничего не надо, но постараюсь заехать познакомиться после работы или с аэропорта.
  10. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I created a route based on your suggestions http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/share/521957
    Why should I start in San Diego? I don't see any advantages of it. I know that LA traffic is one fo the worst, but you have lane splitting, don't you?
    You recommend going down to Lucerne Valley instead of going west through the mountains. Do you think 18 and 138 will not be passable?
  11. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

Check out the link in my sigline below for a fly and ride, I offer personally guided tours on your choice of bikes we have to ride, might be something you're interested in if you don't want to explore the area solo.

Cheers
    -Finn
  12. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Я как раз и имел ввиду познакомиться.

Д.

13. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Finn, I wasn't planning for a tour, but your offer is intriguing. I'll email you.
  14. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Ну одежку я все равно должен полапать :)
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA

No real twisties to speak of. Most of your twisties around here are mountain rides. Some low mountain places never get snow. Usually 4000 feet and up.

You could tool around Hemet, Borrego Springs and Julian and any of those back roads down to the 8 freeway, staying away from Salton Sea. The road up to Idyllwild could be clear, you'd have to check.

If the weather bucks up our own Route 2 is World class and back roads to Big Bear. I did three nights and never got more than 120 miles away from home!

Reserve the bike and ride according to weather. There is a little loop up Highway 38 out of Azusa and Glendora Ridge and Mount Baldy.
    We rent rooms to travellers and offer advice, guide or just leave you alone. You could ride two or three days over on the east side (Claremont) weather permitting. (Glendora Ridge/ Baldy/Big Bear/Idyllwild/Joshua Tree.