Bill introduced to legalize lane splitting in Nevada

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Surj, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    I'm a Californian and I've been splitting for 25 years, so riding between cars is natural to me - hard to refrain in other states. :D I wanted to share this so y'all NV riders can get involved and help push this through.

Assemblymen Richard “Skip” Daly (District 31), Richard Carrillo (District 18) and James Healey (District 35) have introduced AB236 which would legalize lane splitting in Nevada. The bill language is interesting because it's simple and smart. There's currently a bill - SB 350 - in the works ("on hold" for now) here in California that would codify the supposed gray areas around splitting - I hope the folks working on that take a look at this language:

The bill page is here. I'll post updates as I have them under the Nevada lane splitting news tag of LaneSplittingIsLegal.com too.
  2. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm all for it. Hope it passes.
  3. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Update on AB236. The bill went to the Transportation Committee late last week, which is chaired by Assemblyman Richard Carrillo, one of the co-sponsors of the bill. Writeup and video here. Gnarly quote from one of the opposing legislators, Assemblywoman Carlton: "I’m picturing a scenario, I’m on the highway, we’re going down… 25 miles an hour, I’ve got a kid in the back seat. They roll the window down, they stick their arm out, my kid ends up with a broken arm, the motorcyclist’s guts end up all over the back of my car. Uhm… it just doesn’t seem to me to make a lot of sense. I’m sorry, it doesn’t. It just seems like a very dangerous thing to be doing."

Anyone ever here of this actually happening? I've been splitting for a long time and I don't know of any cases of broken arms by passing motorcycle. Spooked smokers, maybe. :D

Another disturbing bit: they're talking about adding a something to the bill that would make accidents that occur during splitting the fault of the motorcyclist by default. No details on this yet, and not sure it would actually fly, but Assemblyman Daly said "…on the liability side, talking with people in law enforcement is that if there was an accident, and the lane splitting, that they would cite the motorcyclist anyway, say it was his fault. So we was just looking at it a little more in the… trying to give people a little more peace of mind to say that, if a person decides to do the lane splitting, you do so at your own risk. So we just want to make it clear that, you know, we’re not trying to put anybody on the hook, or get the regular people in their cars to have additional liability ’cause someone else… you know, did something else."

So if that's added and this bill is passed and you’re splitting lanes legally – cautiously and prudently as required by the new law – and a driver hits you, it’s your fault because we can’t have “regular people” (which apparently doesn’t include motorcyclists) being “on the hook” to be aware of their surroundings and check their mirrors to avoid “additional liability” if they hit a rider who’s doing “something else.” Something else being lane splitting, which would be legal. Isn’t not hitting other drivers something all drivers are already on the hook for? No bueno.

Anyway, check out the video and presentations from the meeting here.
  4. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    30 years of lane splitting in CA, (i was pro!) now I'm in Nevada.

It took a while for me to adjust my ride style for a more relaxed non-agressive light traffic environment without lane splitting.

Honestly, I havent really missed it. Personally I'm never in tat big of a hurry.:D
    It's probably more of an issue down in Vegas.
    I hope it gets passed though.
  5. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    We're getting there! AB236 passed the Assembly Transportation Committee today with slight amendments and limited opposition. Full story here.
  6. Flyinace1

Flyinace1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be great to have another state that allows it, Cali wouldn't be standing alone anymore and that may help pave the way for other states, hopefully
  7. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    cautious and prudent manner, leaves alot for interpretation.
    Sorry son youre riding between cars, and I dont think its safe or prudent for you to do so, so heres a ticket. have a nice day.
  8. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    this message self-destroyed...
  9. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Civil disobedience lane splitting? It's the beginning of a revolution! :clap
  10. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
  11. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
  12. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    At least it, the bill, wasn't completely rejected. It will be interesting to see what see what happens with the next step.

:lurk
  13. francisthepig

francisthepig Dances with Lurkers Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF_Hooligan
    Thanks for the updates! Your site is great. Keep up the good work.
  14. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Indeed. I'm trying to find out from the various folks in NV when the full Senate vote will happen.

Thanks! :D
  15. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer: