2012 KTM 350 freeride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bikeaddict, Oct 18, 2011.

1. milzispete

milzispete is it supposed to look like that?

Oddometer:
  2. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    I have the freeride to the wife
    I also have a 690 enduro r and adv 990r.
    I was very skeptical to the power off the freeride but i thinking off to sell my 690 and get my self a freeride.
    Its fantastic in the forest, and its a killer when i go and "freerides" ..
    I just want litle more power!
    Is ther any easy mods to get it more alive.

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2
  3. milzispete

milzispete is it supposed to look like that?

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing Blakken. I bought one for the wife and now you can't get me off it. The only simple mod I know of is a re-map of the ECU which will take the bike from 24hp up to around 30hp. You should be able to find it covered earlier in this thread. After the ECU changes it looks to me like changes to the intake and exhaust system are required.

There is another good thread on here at http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740262&page=18

The Aussies have had the Freeride for a little while now and from what I've read they are about to start pulling them to pieces :rofl Watch this space for some useful info on how to make the bike more manly

I should add that not all bikes came with only 24hp. It depends where and when and where you bought your bike from
  4. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After introduction to the UK, KTM got enough feedback to take the HP from 24 to 30. That ECU map should be KTM factory for all newer bikes? I hope so.

However, more than 30 hp and you should switch to a 350 EXC-F or XC-W. The steep steering geometry (23*) of the Freeride and the 2.5" shorter wheel base are like those of a Trials bike - indeed it is a Trials hybrid. It won't handle like an Enduro at higher speeds - it will be less stable. :evil

If you want a full-on dirt bike (Enduro), buy the Enduro. The Freeride wasn't designed to do what you are talking about. Can you do it? Yes. The KTM manual even tells you how, and notes that you void the warranty when you do it. But why do it when the EXC-F / XC-W will do it better? The weight penalty of the bigger bikes is trivial, and you get a rear subframe and access to larger gas tanks in the bargin - neither of which will happen on the Freeride easily.

We now have a world-wide culture of modifying motorcycles to beyond sensible limits. In this case - don't. Buy the right KTM in the first place.
  5. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ Best comments I've read about the FR350. :thumb:thumb:thumb
  6. One67

One67 Tell 'em the captain sent ya.

Oddometer:
    With regards to the revised ECU map, mine was upgraded as part of the pre- delivery shake down.

Some shops here are removing the pre-filter and muffler gauze as well, those bits were left on mine.
  7. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    and at the price you said the freeride is selling at,add another $1700 and you can have the ktm350exc
  8. One67

Oddometer:
    If the 350EXC is what you need/want, then you shouldn't even be looking at the Freeride.

Two completely different beasts, no matter what the price difference.
  9. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    ONE67
    did you mount the 12 tooth sprocket?
    report please how did it work.

any one ho has tried the other map is it big difference?

i like to now a little more before i sell the 690 enduro r and get a freeride to complete my 990 adv r.

Pete40 what mods have you done airfilter skin? exhaust what part did you remove? mapping?
  10. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    i agree 100% with you,but on this thread and other threads guys are trying to use them that a 350 would/could be a better option,
  11. One67

Oddometer:
    Yeah, fair enough.

@Blakken - Yeah , I put the 12 tooth on because I felt that 1st gear was really only useful for rock hopping, which I don't do.

With the 12 in 1st, it will still pull up the gnarliest hills I can imagine, but it just cruises better getting to the trails at 80 cliks.
    As for the new map, It's standard on all new Freerides now, mine was re-flashed before I picked it up.
    After it's run in, I'll remove the pre-filter and exhaust restrictors, i think I'll feel a big difference then according to what the euro boys have said.
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Keep your reviews coming One67.
  13. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OZv_nrwoYVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

if you buy a freeride it vill feel like the bike has to little power,,,,but it never stop hauling forward.
    i like the little ktm,,all in the family can drive it and have fun.

but its not an enduro,,its a good compromise to enduro/trial and its do that perfect.
  14. One67

Oddometer:
    In those conditions ^ I'd be on the snowboard not the Freeride :D
  15. mwalker

mwalker mike

Oddometer:
    I talked with the KTM dealer in Evansville In and he said the US would not be getting this bike anytime soon, in 2014 or otherwise. Anybody heard differently? Is there a way to black market one in?
  16. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, there is no way to grey or black-market import a Freeride with current EPA and EU trade rules.

While not all US KTM dealers actually know what KTM HQ (Austria) is thinking and/or planning, I'm not holding my breath - KTM is actually a small manufacturer, their India production by Bajaj notwithstanding. I believe that they are selling every FR that they can make, so we will be waiting a while, until demand is satisfied in other markets.
  17. mwalker

mwalker mike

Oddometer:
    Does Canada sell em?
  18. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:

:ear
  19. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer:
    Google up a Canadian dealer and ask , cant hurt.
  20. More CowBell

More CowBell gotahave moreCowbell

Oddometer:
    I asked a dealer in Langstons Motorsport CA. about the chance of the freeride 350 coming to the U.S. and he said no we dont do demo rides, I just droped my head and walked away. Its not my job to train this guy.