KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Licky

Licky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unless I am reading it wrong it appears that other are getting close to 300 miles on tank. I hit reserve around 200 depending on riding (75 on the interstate and I'll hit reserve around 175). Is this odd or am I reading others results wrong?
  2. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    I'm more close to your figures than others, but the PO of my bike modified the intake and exhaust. I get about 205 with 75MPH interstate dominate riding, and about 245-250 with backroad putzing around. I say I average about 45mpg, looks like others are getting nearly 60?
  3. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I' m in your ball park too.
    The most Ive ever ever gotten is 225 to reserve most times it is in the 180-200 range.
  4. Kbowling

Kbowling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im getting 275+ on my 09 model riding easy
  5. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    an absolutely beautiful bike...but...your flag on the tank-bag is in retreat :cry
    on a vehicle or uniform the right side flag has the stars in the upper right. as if it was moving forward.
    http://www.marlowwhite.com/faq/f-why-is-the-flag-patch-reversed.html
    please don't take offense...just thought you might want to know :D
    again..that is the sexiest gen II i have seen.
  6. serangelc

serangelc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here.

Does the fuel quality have anything to do about it?

Samsung GT-I9100 + Tapatalk 2
  7. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting, appreciate the vehicle and uniform protocols you share, astrolump! For static display, the link info indicates the flag on the bag would be shown properly. From flag etiquette, as in wall display: "The field is my right shoulder; I always face people."

Regardless, I'm glad MissingFrame honors his country by displaying its flag; agree with you, astrolump: stunningly good-looking bike!
  8. Manolito

Manolito Patagonia guide

Oddometer:
  9. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My last several fill-ups have been after hitting reserve at 242 to 248 miles. Before I mounted side cases I could make 300 including reserve. I don't usually use an entire tank on interstate before I get back on 2-lane.
  10. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    I consistantly get 220 before reserve.
  11. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:

Were did you get the knee pads on the tank mine is getting polished from my knees ?

tom
  12. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    See post 4491 :wink:
  13. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    My commute is mostly interstate where i'm cruising between 75-80 for 25 miles of my journey. I'll hit reserve in the 190 mile range. This with a 16t sprocket, klx needle and jet change and Lexx exhaust.
  14. Vic Cosmic

Vic Cosmic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have noticed a definite fuel difference with my side cases on, even a tall windsheild will effect the milage.
  15. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Hi - just bought a spare KLR650 engine today... well most of one - lower end minus side covers, clutch basket, alternator, starter, etc. Got a nice condition head in the deal too (this was the main thing I wanted)... all supposedly from a low mileage write-off. I have an extra cylinder/piston, so in theory could build up a spare engine if I sourced more parts. Am trying to determine engine year of manufacture. The engine cases are silver, it has newer countershaft sprocket (so 2000 or newer) and engine serial number is KL650AEA20411. Have tried Googling this to no avail. I seem to remember stumbling across a cross reference table somewhere (found one for VIN #s) for engines - can anyone point me to where I could determine what year this engine was made? Thnx
  16. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    out of either of my bikes but hit 55mpg on the 1990 once and that was riding very consertivly. I don't think I've ever gotten less than 42 mpg out of either bike off road. typically 42-45. One time I was getting 38 mpg on the 09 but that was when I had it jetted really fat. didn't stay that way long, I was experimenting. :D
  17. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    Contact Wattman... www.watt-man.com He has a list of serial numbers by year.
  18. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Ahhh! Good thinking Thnx! Maybe that's where I saw it. Am doing 685 kit... doing Thermobob mod is actually recommended in the instructions... and he's the guy. Thnx again.
  19. Snypercell

Snypercell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I consistently got 280 miles/tank before rejetting and a lexx exhaust, and I now hit reserve right at 190 miles, just to verify some of these numbers.

Red/Black '05
  20. serangelc

serangelc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got these numbers earlier today:

180.9 miles with 3.88 gallons, without reaching reserve. That is 46.6 mpg. Stock carb, filter and exhaust. NGK Iridium spark plug. Riding twisty roads between 4000 and 5500 rpm most of the time (min 2500, max 7000 a couple of times). 81 octane.

This is the best I have got during 3000 miles with my new-to-me 2010 KLR.

Samsung GT-I9100 + Tapatalk 2