Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. higworld

higworld Cheeseburger in Paradise

Oddometer:
    Dammit! I'll be out of town. Someone eat an extra steak for me, will ya?
  2. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
    nice weather for running my Troybuilt electric start SNOWBLOWER that is:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

B-L-I-Z-Z-Z-Z-A=R=D....:eek1:vardy
    We'll have over a foot on the ground tomorry a.m. when I take off for HHI......:jkam

in the truck....:hide

have a happy New Year....:freaky

Guy, stay put till the weekend.....your path home looks horrible also......
  3. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guy, looks like you have your first class coming together for you. :D
  4. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny how Rusty volunteers me every year for this ride. :evil:rofl:D
  5. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too late. Left Sykesville in snow/sleet/freezing rain this morning. Just getting out of their subdivision was a PITA. Not sure I would have made it without 4WD. Route 32 south was a disaster. Cars/trucks all over the place and in ditches.

I headed south when I got to 29, and it was pretty bad off right out of the chute, but by the time I got near Silver Springs there was nothing but a driving rain and the roads were pretty clear. 495 was pretty clear of yuk and traffic, but traffic backed up near Springfield (as usual), and it was hit and miss all the rest of the way home. Got here about an hour ago,

Wife and younger daughter are staying put and are going to try and get out of there tomorrow. Wife said they have a little over 3" there now, and it was still coming down.

6. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if it is presumptuous of us to be assuming Guy would have a class?

Yes there are a couple words that mean the same thing in that sentence. Mind isn't working right after deciphering what is and is not a local call from Philly and all the ways you have to be allowed to dial all 4 Philly area codes. I am yet again amazed telephones work at all.

I still have to do the same thing for Boston and San Francisco. Stupid telephones. Why can't NPA NXX actually have real meaning when it comes to local versus long distance? Maybe I wasn't really ready to come back to work.
  7. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first time I tried that tool, for some reason expected to drive it in one place until the bead "popped" off - which of course didn't happen. After Dave explained the proper technique, tried again working back/forth over 16" of the rim and it did ooch the bead away from the rim a little on each pass and eventually came off. Was expecting something more dramatic - it's called a popper not an oocher. :D

I think the trick with both the bead popper or the tire iron pry method is don't try to break the bead in one shot in one spot. Rather finesse it over a foot or so of rim, keep widening the gap till it's off.
  8. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Grinning emoticon = humor intended. Hope your day brightens Jeremy!
  9. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bring me a wheel with a mounted tire, and I'll show you how to use it.

Admittedly, some are a little easier than others. Starting out I usually whack it at 90 deg. increments around the tire. If no go, I drop back to 45 deg. segments and continue on. USE NO lube on the tire/rim joint during the breaking process. Tried that once; just doesn't work.

10. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assumed it was obvious that it was just me being bored and stirring the pot while procrastinating at work. Turns out Boston is a bit more sane with their dialing rules. 10 digits for local and 1+ 10 digits for long distance which made things a little less complicated for the rest of the day.
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i always spray the bead area with commercial tire lube, allows the popper to slip against both tire and wheel.
  12. Jeff Munn

Jeff Munn Just along for the ride..

Oddometer:
    I'll wander out tomorrow and see what the Honda will do, but we received 6-7" of snow today and it is gorgeous outside. It is still snowing and we may get a bit more tonight. I'll fire up the CRF150F and see if the knobbies can handle it. We tried the XR650L with DS tires yesterday and it was all over the place, even in only 1" of snow. Go figure.

Hope everyone survived the rain event today. Bet that mud road in West Point will be super tomorrow.

jeff
  13. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya, the big pig needs knobbies to have any kinda handling plus some other bits like a fork brace make a big difference...springs for my weight helped alot as well...the mud road was on my mind today as it poured down...:D
  14. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably would be but seeing how it's still hunting season the dogs and deer will be running could be in for some interesting maneuvering at speed. :evil:D

I'm sure Todd will be itching to get his detailed GS back out in the muck!:evil
  15. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I would need some trash bags for my boots before riding it again. I'm sure it will have plenty of frozen skin on the puddles by Sunday. Too bad, I doubt my parts for my brake will be here before that. While the zip tie worked great I have a feeling I shouldn't push my luck with it. Will just have to ride the Wee and avoid the mud.
  16. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had no idea I was famous. :flug

:lol3

I've got an old KLR rear wheel, with tire mounted that I don't want. Maybe you could use it for your instructionals? I've had it about 7 years, got it off ebay for a project that never amounted to anything. I've never tried to remove the tire. It's a bit beat up, with some bend spokes, seized bearings etc. Free to an abusive home.
  17. toddzacker

toddzacker Just the Shame

Oddometer:
    You guys would have been proud...it must have rained out on the mud road before Xmas day...my son Nick & I hit it Xmas day, it was the worst I had seen it. Even with the TKCs, I was struggling with the big pig. Nick said I looked like a trapeze artist trying to balance that bike waving my legs & arms all over. I was just trying to keep my butt from becoming part of the mud road. Well it got so dirty I actually left it out in the rain today to wash it off.

Don't worry John, I will detail it tomorrow after I get home from work.

Good times!!!
  18. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Belated Merry Xmas to all.

Got back from Marlinton, WV late yesterday afternoon after spending Xmas with the youngest son, his wife and the grand daughter. What is normally a 3.5 hour drive was 9.5 thanks to the ice / snow and idiot drivers.

I followed a idiot from the RT 39 / 42 intersection in WV all the way to the Dollar General @ Goshen, VA at about 10 - 15 mph, I guess the SOB needed to get to the 50% off after Xmas sale :kboom

We had a white Xmas with about 3" of snow, but yesterday morning when I got up at 5 a.m. it was snowing and sleeting pretty heavy, probably had another 3" - 4" at that time and it was coming down really heavy.

The only accidents we saw was on RT 64 from RT 81 through C'ville, there were cars and pick up trucks on their sides and roofs, must have been close to a dozen. Saw a fellow in a new Camaro hydroplane going up Afton Mtn. and end up heading east in the west bound lane, he ended up in the median strip.

Gotta love my 07 Subaru Outback though, not a lick of problems, no wheel slip, no nothing.
  19. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

+1 for Subaru. Although I haven't even put my winter tires on yet this year. :cry
  20. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    knobs or not, XR-L is hopeless in snow. I vote mullet.. :deal