Two Beards, Two Beemers: A Canadian Trip Too Short

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by HBN, Sep 18, 2012.

1. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I woke up around 5:00AM having had three hours of sleep in a children's room. MY first stop: ADV! I spent about 2 hours reading through JD Rock's ride report from Northern Canada, Quebec and the Trans Lab. Somehow I hadn't read it before but we had hit many of the same spots. Smart minds wander alike.
    [​IMG]

I read his report till they sounded the warning to return to your vehicle. I suited up, said goodbye to the fellow bikers and disembarked.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sun shone low on the horizon as our line of bikes stretched back onto the island.
    [​IMG]

I lent my phone to one of my friends to call her hosts then headed down Little Bra D'Or south. Riding in Nova Scotia again felt so safe and comforting compared to Riding the Rock. It just didn't feel so remote or epic.
    [​IMG]

I practically had the roads to myself. Anyone that came in front of me was judiciously passed.
    [​IMG]

Looked a bit like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Grand Narrows Hwy Bridge
    [​IMG]

Stopped for a granola bar and pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was low on water and just happened to spy this fresh water source along the road. Well worth a U-Turn to fill up the Camelback.
    [​IMG]

Crossing the Canso Causeway back to Nova Scotia's mainland from Cape Breton.
    [​IMG]

As I crossed, I noticed this helicopter conducting repairs or checks to the power lines. Quite impressive!
    [​IMG]

I met my uncle as well
    [​IMG]

On the Trans Canada making my way "home" to Sandy Cove.
    [​IMG]

A quick stop for 9AM breakfast in Antigonish. Thems look like Timmie Ho's Thighs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The temps rose considerably as I rode back. By the time I arrived in the Annapolis River Valley it was already into the 80's.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once back in Digby, I cruised through downtown to check out the Wharf Rat Rally in town for the weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

WWWEEEEEEEEEE I felt such a rush of joy to make it back to Sandy Cove
    [​IMG]

Dad was outside painting the house and hanging numbers when I arrived.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a stop at the NSLC for a celebratory beer :deal That shower felt amazing.
    [​IMG]

We had a huge family lobster feast for the second time of the trip that evening. It was fabulous and exactly what I needed after the long miles I had been putting in. I relaxed that night and spent time inside with the family. It was great!
  2. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today was an R&R day with family.

Our first stop was the Annapolis Royal Farmer's Market
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Potato Pancake NOM
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I liked the birch labels
    [​IMG]

$3/carton each!?!?!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o2BcIxPyRXY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Your art would be just as bright if it was so cold and dark most of the year...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We walked up to Fort Anne for some pictures.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YVFkouvE4-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pops and I beside the lighthouse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After walking through Annapolis Royal, we drove across the bay to historic Port Royal dating to 1605. This is a reconstruction completed to the highest standards of authenticity.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EcAnvfd8N8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Deer hide was used for window panes in rooms where light was important but seeing out not as much. Glass was expensive to have imported.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wonder what my aim would be like with one of these?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wood.
    [​IMG]

I'm ready to step back into time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting quirky reenactor guy.
    [​IMG]

After the tour of the fort and returning home to Sandy Cove I set out on the Woodland Path to pick berries. It winds through the woods over to the Bay of Fundy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made it back in time for the garden party that night. Unfortunately I took no photos but once a week, a community member in Sandy Cove hosts the Sunday evening garden party. Everyone brings a dish or drink and mingles about with the neighbors over a small fire and treats. It was a great evening to relax and take my time seeing the local sights.

The GS waits for me to ride home tomorrow though.
    [​IMG]

3. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    We started with coffee and muffins as the sun rose over Sandy Cove
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I geared up and the family went with me to say goodbye at the ferry crossing in Digby.
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w1e7QsUdnYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

Lots of bikers from the Wharf Rat Rally boarded the ship as well. We almost filled up one whole deck of the ship.
    [​IMG]

Love this sticker in the gift shop
    [​IMG]

Dad and I had a nice cruise back together. The ride was warm and sunny and we were treate to the sight of a humpback whale, a few porpoise and some seals. Upon landing, we said goodbye and he hopped in the car to make the drive back. I hit the highway trying to make up some time. The fall colors were just starting here but you can't really tell in this photo as intended.
    [​IMG]

Before I know it...I'm in St. Stephen's crossing the river to Calais, Me.
    [​IMG]

Border crossing was no problem. I fueled up and kept on down the road. Big storm clouds began to appear on the horizon as I snaked my way down Maine Rt.9 toward Bangor. I passed this dude who I'm sure was on ADV. You HAVE to be to wear these kind of colors!
    [​IMG]

I pulled away from him for a few miles then stopped to put on rain gear. He pulled in and we chatted for 5 min. He just road the TransLab from VT on this thing and was on the final push toward home. Good for you buddy!
    [​IMG]

I left him a granola bar while he was in the restroom and kept on down the road. There was a big rain storm moving across Maine so I just rode through it and eventually came out the other side when I got off 95 and onto Rt 2 heading west.

I was cruising around 55 just enjoying the road when I pass a cop, he quickly slows and I look around to see what rule I could have been breaking. Whoops, this intersection was a 45mph zone.
    [​IMG]

He really just wanted to check out the bike I think.
    Cop: "Where are you coming from today?"
    Me: "Sandy Cove, Nova Scotia"
    Cop: "Really? How'd you get here?"
    Me: "I rode there from Virginia, then a ferry then a day of riding through that thunderstorm to get here"
    Cop: "Where are you going?"
    Me: "Mt. Washington if I can get there by dusk then Virginia tomorrow"
    Cop: "Ughhhh good luck! You have a good day"

Back on the road with only a warning :clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This old home was part of the Grange Movement
    [​IMG]

In continuance with the "strange loads on vehicles" theme
    [​IMG]

I think this was somewhere near Rumford, ME
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THis beautiful lake beckoned for a dinner break of crackers and tuna shortly after crossing into New Hampshire.
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qF9syYy5-Ts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I finally made it to the base of Mt. Washington a few hours later. It closed around 5 so I was fortunate to make it in time...to sit in a line of slow moving ninny's.
    [​IMG]

I would brake, let them go for a while then catch up. Riding this mountain road slow working the clutch is a pain in the arse. Also, my clutch was beginning to stink.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MADE IT!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old Cog Railway serving the top of the mountain.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JLu8Jm59_Oo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Chains hold the structures in place during high wind events.
    [​IMG]

I hold my bike in place during high wind events. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SpsuyKic4fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Sunset shadow on Mt. Washington
    [​IMG]

The descent
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally back at the bottom, I made a few illegal passes knowing they had already closed the road going up for oncoming cars. Had a blast heading down :ricky
    [​IMG]

The sun was setting fast and I high-tailed it outta the mountains with the GPS set on "GO HOME"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HA! I think this sounds like a fun place to spend the night. NO SANDWICH FOR YOU!
    [​IMG]

Potential cleared home site...check!
    [​IMG]

Beautiful sunset view while smoking a pipe and eating some pollock.
    [​IMG]

I slept soundly through the night with a full moon for light.
  4. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    The final day of a trip...always the saddest.

The view after packing and getting on down the road was breathtaking.
    [​IMG]

I spotted this cow on the roadside. It didn't seem to care much about me a this distance.
    [​IMG]

The town of Meredith on Meredith Bay at first light:
    [​IMG]

I stopped in a small shop in Henniker for some coffe and a breakfast sandwich. I had a nice chat with the owner who told me about her cross country RV trip and how southerners didn't like her because of her accent. I told her I liked her alright.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roads were pretty clear and dry. This shot taken outside of Keene.
    [​IMG]

The fog picked up for a while.
    [​IMG]

Then into Massachusetts it began to brighten up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the poor people were out near Kent
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Model Airplanes always make me smile.
    [​IMG]

Finally cruising through the Delaware Water Gap, it began to rain. From here I just slabbed it on home to Arlington.
    [​IMG]

MADE IT! I gave the GS a big hug, promised her some much needed maintenance then hit the local Beer Garden with friends for a celebratory IPA :freaky
    [​IMG]
  5. macaroni

macaroni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice RR Mike!
  6. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks buddy!
  7. Elkhound

Elkhound Hunting Dog

Oddometer:
    Great report! Definitely a top-tier RR with great pics and stories.

You seem to be able to find an IPA everywhere you go. :1drink
  8. OldnoGPS

OldnoGPS Just a sightseer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the effort to put this RR up Mike, really enjoyed it. Great job on the details and photos as usual.
  9. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! :clap Beautiful job Mike; loved it, from start to finish.
  10. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    Remember that citizens of New Hampshire are just Mainers with money :D

Nice ride report... home sick again :becca
  11. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    A wonderful RR ..As always Mike !!! :clap
    Great photos....Thanks for taking us all along...
  12. TOTim

TOTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great R R.
  13. Dr. Beard

Dr. Beard Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer:
    Finally got power back to finish the RR for the part of the trip that I should have been on. I officially *&$#ing hate you.

:lol3

Now get back to the garage & help me fix one of these broken-ass bikes that are just sitting around... :1drink
  14. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoyed your report, thanks for taking us along!

Cheers
  15. DCMC

DCMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report!
  16. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Excellent HBN! As usual.
  17. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
    really enjoyed reading your ride report. I made it to fortress Louisburg many years ago during a six week ride that started and ended here in Calif. I think I'll have to dig out the slides from that trip and take a ride down memory lane.I sure injoyed the photos. JB
  18. MazinguerZ

MazinguerZ n00b

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed your RR.
    Congratulations HBN&Dr. Beard
  19. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    HBN and Beard :D GREAT REPORT!!!! Thanks for taking the time to put it all together, some of the best stuff on ADV :clap
  20. Mohawk Unit

Mohawk Unit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report, stop over in Albany next time and I'll take you to a rad diner in Coxsackie :lol3 It aso has one of the strangest thrift stores I've ever been to..like if there had been a thrift store in the Shining.