Mind blowing....err.....Head exploding CO and UT BDR!!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by hardwaregrrl, Jul 16, 2014.

1. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    This sucker ain't live.....we are back home.

[​IMG]

3 weeks, a nurse and carpenter....you figure out who is who :deal, decide it's high time they got their asses back in the saddle. Instead of freezing them off in the great white north, we head west........ Took us not too long to decide to do a couple of BDR's back to back. Neither of us had been to Utah, and I've had great luck in Colorado. Mike had not seen either, throw in a few short stretches of Idaho and Wyoming and we're in!!!

In our world, prepping the bikes usually involves a grinder, a welder, and various sizes of hammers.:evil

It's on!

[​IMG]

Bikes prepped and packed......2004 KLR and a 1983 BMW R80ST......we like dull butter knives.!!

[​IMG]
    And now a few pics displaying triumph, defeat, dirt, food, bathing spots, my foot in my ass.....etc.....

Stay tuned.......:1drink

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In! So in! Inny in in!
  3. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    IN big time. Youall came this close and you did not stop in to say helllooo to a bama boy?

gale
  4. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Shit *face palm* didn't even know you were out there??? We smelled real bad...dunno if you would've wanted us near your dog.
  5. Angelkiss

Angelkiss n00b

Oddometer:
    Damn girl! That's nuts! Made for a great story though.

Angela
  6. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    I hope we're getting some details. Some of those pix look kinda nasty. :huh
  7. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle"

Oddometer:
    Nice! Bait the hook with some cool pics - give us a little taste - and give it a good yank to set it! :tb

Great pic of the aspens! Makes this colorado native - pacific NW/Southern transplant homesick!:freaky

:beer
  8. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    AIRHEADS FOREVER :freaky
  9. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    :lurk

:wave

10. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    In !

Mike
  11. wheezyryder

wheezyryder Punk in Drublic

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone I'm Mike. I'm the one on that super-sexy black and white KLR650. Spose I should jump in on this one since I'm one of the guilty parties. Guilty of motorcycle abuse on the road, on the trail, and definitely in the shop.
  12. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome

more..............
  13. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let us see everything an ST can do :clap
  14. BRUTSQD

BRUTSQD 2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer:
    Badass and badass!! Great pictures, I can't wait! Fellow nurse here in full support of your bad decisions :evil
  15. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Don't need no stinkin kick stands! :lol3
  16. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    ah. so its going to be one of THOSE ride reports. finally, something interesting. i like destruction.
    in.
  17. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Mike had just graduated from nursing school and this trip was a bit of present to himself, I just needed a getaway as being self employed sometimes isn't enough of an adventure.:D

We left Atlanta on Wednesday June 25th in the auto and decided time/money would dictate a trailer run by fire to some dudes house in Placerville CO. We would leave the auto/trailer combo and run section 1 in CO backwards to Utah....

We drove an overnighter and made it to Placerville in 34 hours. I will NEVER do that again....although waking up in New Mexico with pronghorns lining a rural state hwy was a pretty cool treat.

This is Tom and Aven, AKA some dude in Placerville He has a great pic of Aven on the airhead....hoping he coughs it up. *hint hint*. Advrider is a great resource allows us to meet wonderfull people all over the place. On our last trip I was recognized by an inmate which lead us to an ADV rally, great folks, yummy BBQ and a warm bed. Tom not knowing me from Eve, allowed us to leave our shit with him. How cool is that?!! He and Aven played across the street from their house in the park while we packed up and grabbed water from them.

[​IMG]

Aven wanted to be sure the caterpillar she is holding got in the pic. Sorry Aven....
    Landing in Placerville around 430pm didn't leave us a lot of time to ride. So we headed into Telluride for food and beer and planned to camp on the trail.

[​IMG]

Camp #1 was a nice spot right off the road which provided both of us with a great spot to take our first freezing ass bath in Fall Creek.

[​IMG]

Starting section 1# provided some great roads a beautiful scenery.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Being vertically challenged means I need to plan my parking, especially since I'm carrying quite a load.....I didn't plan very well on day one which resulted in this.

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wasn't in gear so tipped into Mike. Hooked proper, we had to remove the KLRs footpegs to free the bikes. Whoo-hoo!! First and only tipover out of the way early!!! Doesn't work that way unfortunately. Mike felt the need to reinforce his footpegs the day before our drive....probably a good thing since I imagine my 500# bike would've ripped the originals out of their sockets.

The first section in CO involed a bit of navigating, rutted roads, great views, and a bit of wildlife. Mike saw a bobcat that first day, and we both saw several deer. They're much bigger out here than back home.

Seen near Groundhog reservoir.

[​IMG]

Bikes were running ok at altitude, but we both decided a re-jet was necessary. Luckily Delores had the Fun Center which provided us with proper jets. I had planned for this.....kinda. I brought extra jets, but they were the same size as the existing. I need a better magnifying glass I guess.

[​IMG]

We ended up in Mexican Hat UT that night.

[​IMG]

Stopped in town and grabbed a beer and shared a plate of nachos. First low octane beer of the trip. Utah had some weirdo laws about serving as well. Full dinner had to be orderd if you were to drink liquor or have more than 2 beers.....something along those lines. We looked at the map to find a good spot to camp.

Day one was pretty uneventful and complete.

[​IMG]
  18. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage

Oddometer:
  19. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great first installment! Love reading RRs where things go wrong, and the creative ways inmates sort them out.

You ain't kidding. When the wife and I were coming from DC to SF (in a car) we stopped in Moab, and couldn't wrap my head around it. Something like the restaurant was where you went if you wanted drinks, the bar was went if you wanted food, you couldn't order liquor or wine unless it came with food, but if you wanted beer you could get that as long as you sat in a special separate section and it was brought to you by a server and not served at the bar...
  20. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    Great teaser pics! IN!:clap