Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note to Andres, plan the next rally in November! Tlaloc is usually sleeping then.
    Steve, the way back was fun, they delayed flights and rerouted some planes, that's how intense it was.
    See you in a couple of hours, we'll make it this time.
    The password is "Give me La Esperanza, or give me a dry crotch". LOL!
    Los retachan!

13 Octubre, 2012 07:22:00
    [​IMG]
    Por el mal tiempo imperante en el Golfo de México, que afecto la visibilidad por intensa lluvia en el aeropuerto internacional ´General Heriberto Jara Corona´, de Veracruz, Ver., cuatro vuelos fueron desviados a terminales alternas y otros dos retrasados en su despegue, confirmo la Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil de la SCT.
    Por ANTONIO MARIN
    Reportero de NOTIVER
    Los pasajeros resultaron afectados por las inclemencias del tiempo, ya que su vuelo correspondiente a la línea Viva Aerobús y Aeroméxico procedentes de Monterrey y la Ciudad de México, fueron desviados a la terminal de Villa Hermosa, Tab., donde permanecieron hasta que mejoro la visibilidad en la terminal local.

El síntesis el atraso fue de aproximadamente de dos horas, debido a la lluvia que azoto con rudeza en la demarcación del aeródromo lo cual perjudicaba las condiciones de seguridad para los aterrizajes y despegues clorrespondientemente.
  2. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    We try to keeps the facts straight around here.
  4. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    On a serious note, feel bad that such a great part of the world is turning into a place to avoid. If it was me riding solo i would take the chances but my wife/ kids not worth the try. This is why I'm asking for people's views of the situation on the ground.[/QUOTE]

GSAragazzi, I won't try to minimize the events in Tres Marias but per the WaPo article, the agents had been traveling back and forth to the camp many times and they were specifically targeted. A solo rider or even a small group is likely not going to be noticed if they are passing through an area. No one is going to pay some bad cops to go after a few turistas. But in the final analysis, you must make your own assessments and use your own judgement about the risks to you and your family. But please make them based not only on the facts of this situation (facts often being a hard thing to come by in Mexico) but on the broader picture of how the violence happens and where.

As the article says, the cartels have lost their top guys and the second and third tier guys who have taken over are not as business savvy and don't understand that, as Don Corleone said, blood costs money.

I'm fortunate to be in a very safe area in the very safe state of Sonora.

Saludos
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a hotel owner :deal:freaky
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

But I'm a rider and I love Mexico. I want the best for this country and for visitors here. I can say honestly that I have never sugarcoated the situation here.

Saludos

7. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have proof that you have:

[​IMG]
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    That would be Mrs. TC, she is much sweeter than I am.
  9. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:

Schizz, the big bad gringo man with the special warfare badge made me cry!:cry

Hey, it's all good! Maybe if he comes down he can meet mi Tia "Tuchi".

And in other news...photo up date from the 1st Annual Rally La Ruta del Cafe in La Esperanza coming up.
    Craneguy and I are going to make the evening news out of Xalapa.:deal

Andres and Arte did a helluva job along with all the great people in La Esperanza to put on a really good motorcycle event!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  10. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I've decided to appropriate this photo. I'm liking it.
  11. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Really a fantastic day. I know Mexico pretty well now but that had to be the friendliest group of people I've EVER met!

Looks like there's going to be another media outlet we can't trust. The interview is with a brit and a canuck and the canuck does all the talking. Talk about slanted reporting! :-D

I won't hear anything bad said about the mexican people. Take out the asshole element (as with all countries) and they and their roads, food and honest hospitality make this a place that shouldn't be avoided. Hell, we were 100 miles from anywhere and everyone even spoke some English!

Get on your bikes and ride people and call us when you get here!
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend and I have just traveled from A. Prieta down to Moctezuma, Son. on some really nice Sierra roads. No problems, not even a mean look have we received. We were going to stay at Turkey Creek's sweet hotelito but found ourselves on the wrong side of some pretty big Sierra late in the day. We are almost certainly the only gringo in this little pueblo and I like it. Cold Pacificos in a plastic bag with hielo.:freaky
  13. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GsgVspgy184" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
  14. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, some early pics from the rally.
    I need to mention that the people in La Esperanza are among the most kind, generous, and truly warm folks you will find in all of Mexico. They make their village proud!
    It was good to meet up with Andres again, and great to meet Arte and the boys from up north. All really good guys and great riders!
    The morning breakfast was cooked up by the local ladies, eggs with a chile salsa que no tienen mama!, beans, and fresh homemade tortillas.
    It is worth going to La Esperanza just for the coffee, too. Some of the best in Mexico and produced by the relatives of Andres, a family with a century of experience.
    It's called "Greenland" for a reason, as you will see.
    I am sure you'll see more pics when Arte and Andres get back, they were leaving tonight after the rally. Hardcore guys, doing the rally and then riding out of town and back home. If you know the area, you know these guys can ride.
    I won't spoil the finishing order, I'll let Arte let you know. This was a benefit event for the local school, a really good cause. Real good, fun, party atmosphere and I know that the Craneguy and I will be at the next one for sure and we'll be bringing more people next time.

Start line was beside the rec center. Notice the blue sky, unlike the previous two days of rain! Today was warm and sunny.

[​IMG]

Good turn out of people from different parts of the state and pretty much the whole village.

[​IMG]

The people below are discussing CraneGuy's refusal to start from the pit beside the rec center.
    He couldn't be convinced. LOL!

[​IMG]

Why they call it Greenland
    Somewhere by those mountains 4 wheelers, bikes, two up 4 wheelers, you name it, were jockeying for position
    for close to 2 hours.

[​IMG]

A flashy CraneGuy stops to "reflect" for a moment.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, we both finished out of the running. Two little lambs who have lost their way. "Follow me, Steve,
    I know the route". "But Mike, the road just seems to end in those trees". "Well, it didn't 3 years ago"!

[​IMG]

Every time I go to La Esperanza I spot interesting wildlife. One year it was a Jaguarondi, another year it was a Yorkshireman on a Harley, and this year it was a camel.

[​IMG]

The above pic prompted CraneGuy to explain "50 Shades of Gray" as practiced in certain locales he has worked in.

[​IMG]

What's inside that bag is pure magic!

Thanks Andres (who sacrificed his appendix) and Arte who enjoyed the Pepito and Sarita joke!:freaky
  15. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, about the level of hospitality as I expected. I should too introduce you to my cousin Ben. Funny last name Tuchi something to do with a Madre who's 1st name is Chinga (she must be Chinese or something'). Something like Ben (cousin) Tuchi (last name) Mrs Chinga (someone's Madre).
    Those a gret picks and clearly a great ride. Trying to book a bike in DF but no dice. I can only find singles and I really want something larger. Any leads?
    Enjoy the Joe in good health.
  16. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gee, does that mean you're not coming down?:cry

[​IMG]

Over here on the Gulf coast we take our "bull" seriously.
  17. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:

I'd love to! October got crazy at work, maybe this winter.

Who knows. Gotta check the budget too. $4+ diesel isn't great for the van transport budget.
  18. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:

Igalmente, tricepiloto
  19. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the name of the mountain range in the area of Ciudad Victoria and Soto la Marina and south toward Tampico?
  20. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    We will see you next time Jimmex. Let us know if SON 117 south is still a wreck. It was really bad south of Sahuaripa. Hewby and Ajinsan both rode that way recently. (Two great RRs if you have not seen them)