Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Jick Magger

Jick Magger Exile on Main Street

Oddometer:
    Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
    :rofl Good point. Guy posts about a brand new motorcycle farkled out for a trip to the Baja and nobody points out the diehards who ride beat up 250's on the same type of riding in order to make him look like an poser. I think the inference about Johnny was he was as i believe they say in Texas "all hat ..no cattle". Thats a lot to read into a mention of camera equipment. The putdown wrapped in accolades about Mike Mikes prowess with a point and shoot was still a putdown non the less.
  2. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Yeah, like you are perfect. :lol3

I just chalk it up to a couple of old fools that need more fiber in their diet. Either that, or they should have retired and gone riding 20 years ago. :deal
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Good reason to bring a supply of nuts and bolts to Mexico

After lunch this BMW turn signal was found dangling, we fixed that with the house supply, then Jeff discovered the footpeg on the KLR had come loose with a wayward bolt as well.
  4. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Funny. I had one clown call me a poser one time. That was in Jacksonville and he was a clerk at a shopping center. My crime was that I rode my GS from the Beaches to the Mall in full riding wear but it was also about a month after I had ridden coast to coast and a few years after the same bike had been in Mexico.

Poor kid probably still feels the heat from me telling him to get out and ride and not be such a judgmental dickhead. :lol3
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Craig at CJdesigns has fitted one of the Christini units to a 950 and everyone that has ridden it has given it rave reviews.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635152
  6. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Either that, or go to a Mexican hardware store. I lost a screw out of my helmet and had visions of riding back to the border with the visor duct taped in place. Arte sent me to a builder's hardware place in a little town of less than 1,000 population.

Long story short, the clerk vanished in the back and came out with the right screw in stainless steel rather than the original nylon. As he was putting it into my helmet he looked up at me and said "I used to live in Buffalo. Too fu*king cold. Now I am here and it's too fu*king hot." :lol3

Small world.
  7. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
  8. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Jeff/Jaxton are crossing at the Colombia in the morning, then off towards Matehuala to see Real 14.

LeĂ³n after that to park the bikes & visit friends there, taking day rides in and around the Triangle.

He made a really interesting decision regarding Mexico insurance. I told him he should post about it.
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:

Good point Jick, It's not like he said he was riding a Harley. In any case, he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me.
  10. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    SR, regarding the hacienda production it was very likely what that region produces today: frijol, milpa, papas, and chiles.
    In that village, at chile harvest, the aroma is incredible.
    Once, I was riding through there and stopped, shut off the bike and was breathing deep, taking it all in. Two old wrinkled up guys were watching me and smiled and touched their noses and waved. They were enjoying the same thing.
    Amazing how human we really are when we let ourselves be.:clap
  11. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Schizz, Check out page one of my RR, link below. Hotel Reyna Soledad Recommended by Miguelito. Nice place, great location. Great coffee shop next door.
  12. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Thanks, RMO!!

Miguelito knows his area of Mexico pretty well.
  13. D K

D K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I regret 'dropping name' as I should have just said 'camera'.

Im the first to admit Im more fortunate than having talent. I learn or try to learn something every day. I also benefit from having had parents that were photographers and had a darkroom in our house.

A good camera doesnt make a good photographer any more than a fast racecar makes a good race driver.

Yet, its often said that you should own the best equipment that you can afford.
    FWIW, I also own a Fuji X100 and a Fuji XPro1.
    Does that make me a professional? No.
    Does that help me enjoy experimenting with 'painting with light'? Fuck yes.

No offence taken.

Still curious as to what MM uses, just for curiosity.

Once I get to better bandwidth, Ill post some stuff up for some friendly critique.

Hasta Luego pendejos!

14. D K

D K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once I get the bike down here and find out the boat hasn't sank while I was gone, everything will be more calm.
    I would love to get up to VC for the weekend.
    And yes, I will bring my camera and you are welcome to give it a go.

Speaking of point and shoots... there is a reason why more good shots are taken with an iPhone than any other camera - it's always with you. With a DSLR, it's always a mission to carry the bag, etc..

Nikon just came out with the A1 which is a very good camera for 1000 bucks. It's small and has a big sensor. No zoom though (like the X100) but good for 90% of situations.

David

15. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    :clap Look forward to it.
  16. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz

Oddometer:
    Sorry trice,

I misinterpreted your post. Didn't realize you and D K were friends & you were just giving him a hard time.

Apologies for mistaking your intentions!

17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    And it's a KTM 500 - another bike I really don't know how to ride :rofl
  19. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    :freaky

I have a Nikon D700 and some good glass for it, but other than a telephoto for portraits, I'll never be any good with it because I'm not doing anything where a DSLR makes a difference. That, and I'm mostly a picture taker, not a photographer (with an eye for it).

I should probably get rid of it. Never have brought it to Mexico and can't see where I would bother with the bulk, the risk, or the hassel of pulling it out and putting it back in a bag.

For on the go photos, the best setup I've seen is where riders keep a P&S in a bag carabiner-clipped to their jacket. That, plus a riding glove with the thumb and pointer finger tips cut down.

I've tried a simple cord around the neck and a camera on that - most recently Richard's 500 mile challenge - but I couldn't escape the feeling that if I slid off the bike, I'd have something around the neck to catch on an object. Kind of related to the idea of why cops who wear ties usually only use clip-on ties.

It's probably my opinion only, but it's my impression that the #1 reason more photos aren't taken, even on "epic" rides (if only epic to the rider), is ease of availability of the camera.

There are also so many post processing platforms - the simplest and cheapest will do fine - that simple cropping and light adjustment is a snap, and fast.

When I take off for Durango this weekend and when riding SR's DRZ in the bosque backcountry, it will be the usual Canon Digital Elph in a Walmart carabiner case, clipped to my jacket. The glove is already cut. :freaky
  20. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Mrs. TC got a frantic call this afternoon from our housekeeper's sister, all upset because she had received a phone call claiming that our housekeeper had been kidnapped and money needed to transferred to the kidnappers right away. Mrs. TC found this strange since the housekeeper was standing right there in the kitchen talking with her. So the sisters talked on the phone and wailed and cried for 2 minutes and it was all over.

This is a common scam. It will be a random call. The caller will say "we have your sister/brother /cousin" The victim answering will usually say something like "Susie?" The scammer "will say yes, Susie." and then try to reel them in.

I don't know if this scam has a name but it should.

This is not likely to happen to motorcyclist riding through but I though you might find it interesting.