Zumo 660 frozen on "loader loading" - anyone know the fix?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by folknride, Apr 12, 2014.

1. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran the update from Garmin Express on my Zumo 660 for new maps and software, but I guess a file got corrupted somehow and now it freezes with "loader loading" on the screen. Computer doesn't see the unit.
    Has anyone had/solved this issue?
    There is a procedure on line for a Nuvi but it doesn't work for Zumo (tried every possible variation - no luck). Tried removing the battery for 10 minutes, holding the on/off switch down etc.
    Apparently you have to get the unit into "mass storage" mode so you can delete the corrupted file from your computer, then re-install the update.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!
  2. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Talked to Garmin, and Raytech, their Canadian warranty shop, and they are replacing the unit, DESPITE IT BEING OVER 4 YEARS OLD, and expediting it to me in under a week so I'll have it for my upcoming Mexico trip.
    Hats off to Garmin and Raytech for great service above and beyond.

(It did take 4 or 5 phone calls, but I'm taking the high road here :wink:)
  3. stevedo

stevedo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had similar service from Garmin here in the UK. Zumo 550 failed to turn on, sent it in and they declared it permanently dead and would replace it. However they had no 550's and we were due to go to Morocco in about 10 days time. Their solution? Send me a Zumo 660 as a replacement unit at no cost to me even though the 550 was about 3 years old.

Yes their units are expensive but if they provide customer service like that at least I can see where some of my money went.
  4. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    Same exact problem here today. Going to call Garmin....
  5. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    It happened yesterday when updating firmware and maps. I will call Garmin tomorrow. David
  6. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    Garmin had me go through 20 mins of trying to reset the garmin. They gave up and gave me an RMA. I sent it back and the day after they got it, I have a refurbished one coming back to me. Not bad for a 4 year old product. He mentioned because it was a software screwup and nothing physical I did to the unit, they would replace it.

Did you use a mac to update your garmin? I did. I wonder why so many are locking up with the latest update.
  7. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was updating on my MacBook Air that screwed it up. Must be a glich.
  8. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    I've had issues with garmin stuff for Mac in the past too. When I get the replacement I'll update with my Mac booted with windows.
  9. Fatallybitten

Oddometer:
    I was updating from a Macbook Air as well. David
  10. Fatallybitten

Oddometer:
    I sent my Garmin Zumo 660 off for exchange today. Should be back in a couple of weeks. David
  11. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    I got mine back today. Quick turnaround. I got a different model because the road rash on the case is gone. It popped off in a parking lot once....:D
  12. vikingolly

vikingolly Iron Butt Rider

Oddometer:
    I have this problem today in Australia. I called Garmin. Their answering service is in the Phillipines. They emailed me a piece of software to upgrade my unit. It would still not recognise the USB connection. I tried with two ports and two cables. So far no joy at all. A call tomorrow will follow.
  13. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    Did you attempt to update with a Mac? I think that's the problem. You'll probably need a new unit. I updated in windows with no problems.