Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try expressing interest in Moto Guzzi.
  2. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I first received 'my' bike, I wasn't exactly nervous, but neither was I Hindu Cow calm. All these guys are fast and smooth. And they all had a session to familiarize themselves with CotA.

One of the most common mistakes guys make on the track is worrying about what is behind them. If half of your mental focus is devoted to what's in your non-existent mirrors, only half is left for what's in front of you. Though we weren't racing, there wasn't a guy onsite without octane in his blood. Though I'm no different, this wasn't my bike and I was not going to do anything stupid. Priority number 1 was: restrain warfare personality. No competing.

Even in pit lane, my impression of the track was that it was resurfaced using razor blades. I've never been on a smoother or more communicative surface. I also wasn't used to having tires that had been warmed, so even though the bike felt wickedly planted, I didn't trust 'em the first lap.

Turn one: the approach, even out of the pits, is uphill. Left turn, 1st gear, apex as the track flattens and drops downhill. Snake left to prepare for sweeping right, on the throttle up and under a footbridge after which the track just disappears. I rolled off the throttle, then saw a huge expanse of red/white/blue. It was stunning and unlike anything I'd seen at a track before. The track surface is painted? A moment of momentary confusion.

We tend to think that our mind follows black asphalt, but more likely I think most of us use borders to determine which direction the road goes. On the track, especially an unfamiliar one, side-reference points, such as grandstands, barriers, gator strips, sand/gravel, walls are typically what guide us through the course when memory can't. Coming up to turn three the whole track just opens wide up, with nothing but some crazy colors in front. Only problem is the track goes left and I was heading straight at speed. If they analyzed braking data for all the bikes I believe my braking maneuver recorded the highest amount of G forces....I stayed on track, but three turns in I'd made a mistake. It wouldn't have caused any issues, as it's just painted pavement, meant for running off safely. But I don't like mistakes and I'm sure Ducati doesn't appreciate them either.

That would be the last dumbshit move of the day. I picked up the layout of the track midway through the first session, but spent most of my energy trying to figure out the proper lines. Normally it's pretty easy if you do your research. Any track that's been around long enough has plenty of videos and turn-by-turn PDFs. Being so new, I was on my own. And CotA is by no means a simple track to figure out. With its share of blind, increasing radius and decreasing radius turns, turns with odd entry points and turns that require 'backward-planning' lines, it's more challenging than any other track I've been to. L

Still, a good session. Had a blast, loved the bike, loved the track, felt like I was the luckiest guy alive.

I returned to the paddock and just sat there soaking it all in. Prior to getting out on the track I was in a "look but don't touch" state. Then after the ride (not sure if the first was to be my last session or not) I entered the "touch, but don't taste" state....ARRGGHHH!!! A very real example of the process by which satisfaction of desire increases desire.

[​IMG]

But happy, still. Very happy.
  3. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    I hope you caught the motoGP race there this weekend (on TV). You shouldn't feel bad blowing a turn, or trying to figure out a good line...looked to me like even the best of the best had a hard time with it. I think a couple guys blew the same turn you did :deal
  4. lurw

lurw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hell for Leather did an interesting review of COTA. Wes writes about the corners with the painted runoffs and how difficult they are.
  5. daveknievel

daveknievel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roadracingworld mag did a write up of your day there also. Few pages long. No pics of you shredding the track.
  6. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting perspectives on the track. I read Lorenzo's take on CotA and I wish I could find where I'd read it, because it was a great description of how challenging the track is. Fortunately, I wasn't doing a time attack and in the second and third sessions I focused on being smooth and having fun.

[​IMG]

Though I never really felt comfortable with the track, the R just got more and more brilliant. It did whatever I wanted it to, whenever I wanted it to. "Video game" motorcycle is not an exaggeration. The journos had been talking about how you could brake as hard as you wanted to right to the apex....and with the bike responding to every input (nay--thought!) and I began exploring braking later and later at shallower and shallower lean angles down to the point where I could feel the front end 'creeping' sideways at/near full lean. Pretty cool. So much traction, so much feedback. Sublime. Totally sublime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The film crew Ducati hired are the ones responsible for that GoPro. They were also out with a slo mo cam (like the one used for that Casey Stoner video) and, of course, all their other gear, getting shots of me missing apexes and being passed. Final edit should be done soon.

In between sessions 2 and 3 Ducati came and asked me if I could do an 'interview' with Nicky Hayden. Sure....but what the hell do I say? "Just talk about your trip." Sounds good. I peeled off my leathers, then I think I drank a bottle of water and took a leak. I might have sat staring into space while eating one of the delicious snacks they had in the paddock and I could have possibly taken some pictures of my toes. Then, as I went to find Gabe, the head camera honcho, he finds me. "Hey we're waiting." Shit, we're doing this NOW? I went outside to find they'd set up in front of a paddock door, and from Hayden's expression I think they'd been waiting for longer than convention typically allows. As we talked about what the hell we should talk about, No. 69 takes over and says, "I got it" and starts asking me questions. Content problem solved.
  7. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    and the story just keeps getting better :D
  8. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    The interview by Haden will be good.
    Got a time line on that for us?
  9. RacineWI

RacineWI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been following this ride report from the beginning and as guys were jocking how awesome AntiHero's pictures/philosophies/stories are I was thinking "quit sweating AntiHero and just enjoy the adventure". I was flat out wrong. This RR is truly special and I am impressed, truly inspiring stuff Anti. I am one of those guys that is too "responsible" to go and do something like this....and my PO wouldn't let me leave the state that long anyway.....I do make time to take my bikes out and ride them like I stole them, even slow down enough to grab a pic once in awhile. Thanks for sharing...
  10. KGBz

KGBz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really Enjoying The Ride Report! Only On Page 15, But It is Making Me Giddy For My Own Road Trip This Fall.Safe Travels IF You Are Still On The Road.
  11. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:

Congrats Dennis.
    I don't think I have ever seen a thread attract so many new ADV members as yours.
  12. Trane Francks

Trane Francks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No shit. :D
  13. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really like to see your interview. Was it on Roadracing World?
  14. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    As others have said, quite a fabulous report and viewpoint on life. Having lived through some life changing experiences certainly helps. I think giving people hope and truly showing that anything is possible and your points about sweat equity are right on the money. My few college years were about partying and getting laid. Never graduated. Didn't have the right mindset and as others have said, we might not be cut out for it. However, I never gave up working hard at doing work and doing the best I could. You do your bosses work BEFORE you ever get paid for it, there is no 'entitlement'. So today I actually have a job thats a global role most people would consider to be pretty far up the ladder and am sure in a small class of people to achieve this in the professional world today with no degree. Sure I still have self doubts and that self defeating type of voice in my head but I do my best to beat it back and your points are so valid- the only limits are those we set on ourselves.

Having said that, I purposely went to a shop today to look at Ducatis and sit on a Panigale. She is one hot (I love red!!) seductive beauty. Well, its very impressive that you did what you did on that bike, I doubt I really could make it more than a couple of hours (buldging disc L5,6). Hats off to you!!! Having said that, I definitely want a Duc at some point but more like a Multistrada to share the stable with my KTMs.

Basically your right on and people have read this thread for all things it does say about life and attitude and living!!!

I think one of the things you point out and I have found out- I always wonder what is on the other side of the horizon. Truth is, its another horizon and another and another. Which is; its all about the journey and not the destination. You came back changed but it didn't change what is.

Terrific and thanks!!! Right on brother :super:super !!!
  15. manban9888

manban9888 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dennis, Your RR continues and is finding new lives to touch. Ride free brother
  16. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fookin' hell--you guys never cease to be one of the most rewarding parts of this entire trip. I've been jammed up with work and travel (the airplane/conference room/rental car/variety)....flying back late tomorrow after which time I'll respond individually. Just wanted to say thanks again before I crash hard.

Zzzzzzzz
  17. Rider14

Rider14 Rider14

Oddometer:
    Just finished catching up over the last week. This thread is hard to describe - suffice it to say that it not only grabbed my attention like a vise grip plier, but inspired me to try a few new things.

ONLY QUESTION - what the hell did you name your bike??!? If you mentioned it, I missed it...

Great thread, great journey. Enjoy everywhere your trip took you, and will take you.

- Dan
  18. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:

I was wondering the same but feel that Ducati is a pretty good name.
  19. Holy Smoke

Holy Smoke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bravo....

Did you ever detail your packing and clothing strategy?

I am T- 364 days from starting my adventure. I am still in the early planning stages but my 50th year on this planet will be epic. I am trying
    to pack as light as possible.

Thank you for letting us ride along.
  20. zingo

zingo @ ?

Oddometer:
    Nice track ride and review , I still follow with Envy. Stay Safe Tonight...