Tennessee Plates

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by 8trackmind, Jun 19, 2012.

1. FJracer

FJracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recommend you explore just across the TN River(from you) sometime. 438, 128, 228, 13(south of Linden), Clifton Turnpike(out of Waynesboro) and again, hundreds of great roads between 128 and the Tenn. River.
  2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Gotta have the funk

Oddometer:
    Been on a few of those roads and you're absolutely right, they are good. No complaints with middle Tennessee. My whining was directed towards the county's near where I live (Extreme west TN) and was not intended to broad brush everything west of I65. You have to admit, those folks on the far east end of the state are truly spoiled though. :lol3

I hate to be completely lazy, but do you have any personal favorite routes in your neck of the 'hood you could share? Maybe PM me, or post here?
    While I have done some exploring out there, I might have ridden by something even better and not even known it. (Thanks in advance :evil)
  3. FJracer

FJracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd be happy to recommend some of my favs. Memory for names is fading so I'll have to rely on a map in some cases.
    And yes, I understood where you where coming from being in the Memphis area. I've taken a few cruises that way and interesting scenery and POI can be spread quite a distance. I'm sure you are familiar with the Wolf River. South outta Moscow is some interesting little detour. And there's picturesque Woodlawn near Lagrange. I'll work up a route around the TN River and post later. I'm packing right now for a NC trip tomorrow morning.
    Your initial Post intrigued me because I've never been to Lauderdale Co. All other Counties west of I-65 but not that one. Is there much to see there, or just visit Fort Pillow?
  4. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:

There are good roads, HOWEVER I have also noticed what makes them different than 232 is they have lots of driveways, dirty roads, and intersections, that means its alot less fun...also more houses, I dont like being the asshat ripping past someones house...232 is lots of forest..with small patches of houses.(which I slow down for)

That said, I will look some of those roads up, though..they are close enough to check out this weekend in less than 2 -3 hours

Also, about the track thing, I wish they would open Nashville back up... right now you have to go 3+ hours to get to a motorcycle track:(
  5. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    While doing some digging I found this...which graphicly shows where NOT to ride in Tennessee. :lol3
    Yeah, I've done most of the close stuff to death...However, many of my photos came from the areas I complain about so...
    [​IMG]

Well, if you are already near there for some reason it may be worth it I suppose...but I wouldn't plan a weekend around it. The Tomatos from that area are awesome though. :lol3
    [​IMG]
  6. FJracer

FJracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride a LOT of counties and Montgomery stacks up as one of the cleanest, best paved, and widest in at least the Mid-State. But admittedly not everyone is cut out for rockin'-and-rollin' on public roads. But when I'm out there the "traffic" is virtually non-existent. And NOT that many houses either!
  7. FJracer

FJracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what I suspected.
    You know you have one advantage over the East Tenneseans; You're just 2-3 hours from central Ark. :lol3
  8. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    You know what, I didn't want to say that and insult my TN brothers, but you're right...:lol3 On top of that, the roads are damn near deserted.
    I just stop in the middle of the road and watch my mirrors while shooting photos.
    [​IMG]

I might be wrong, but...Seems to be less drunken pickup truck drivers on your side of the road in those parts. :wink:
  9. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I dont like traffic, people, or driveways when Im playing hard, while just wandering around enjoying a nice ride, I'lkl agree I do have some really nice riding roads near me.

In any case Im gonna hit the sack, the wife and I are going to go check out some of these roads you drew my attention to(o On seperate bikes!!!:clap)
  10. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Now you're just showing off with the "separate bike" thing. :wink:

Hey, check back in an let us know what you found. I'm interested in exploring more of your area.
  11. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:

Wife ended up not feeling well shortly into the ride, so I didnt get to sidetrack like I wanted. Maybe tomorrow morning or something Ill head out.
  12. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Call me cRaZy but two months out of a year, I really don't like riding. I know what you may be thinkin', January and February are miserable right?...Nope, not around here.
    It's July and August that suck. Guess what...It's starting to feel like July already. So what in blue blazes does this have to do with my ride report? It was a SHORT ride.
    Got up early, came back early, stayed near home. (something I haven't done much of since buying the 'Strom)

My local rides usually go one of two ways:

A.Pick a direction, (N, S, E, W) head out 100 miles (or more) in said direction, and then get myself lost for a hundred more. GPS my way to a gas station, then head home. (some people ride with be because they like that feeling, others hate it and will never ride with me again)

B. Make a detailed route in Microsoft Streets and Trips (or Basecamp) spending hours researching every little detail, carefully load it into the GPS, then disregard it within five minutes of leaving the house and go back to plan "A". :wink:

However, I was in my backyard today so I didn't do either.No way to get lost if you know exactly where you are. (Dammit)
    I decided to emulate my online heroes and just took "ADV Style" photos. (Yes, I'm painfully aware mine pale in direct comparison, no need to point that out) :lol3

I "could" be on my way cross country...but I'm not.
    [​IMG]

The most dangerous thing thing I did today was eat a Ham Biscuit at the General Store. That sodium is a silent killer, baby.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parking lot is patrolled 24/7
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now them's some "ADV" look'n pit'chers right thar boy
    [​IMG]
    Wait a second, I don't see any dirt...
    [​IMG]
    Or a water crossing...Or gravel. Paved roads? Really? Man, you suck.
    [​IMG]

The tinted shield increases my handsomeness level by at least ten.
    [​IMG]

Safety third.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bowtie
    [​IMG]

Oops...
    [​IMG]

(underarm reverse off handed topbox tailshot) Well dang, now the boy's just showing off...Still no dirt, mountains, wheelies or nothin'...What a phony.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, had to hide under a pic-a-nick table from the law. (jaywalking 1991, been on the run ever since)
    While getting the bike under there was hard, getting it back out was even harder.
    [​IMG]

That's enough for today I suppose...:snore
    [​IMG]
    motocopter and thechief86 like this.
  13. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you just using a normal camera hanging from your neck and snapping shots by hand? Ive though of it but wasnt sure how good they would come out.
  14. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's a regular old Nikon 12MP point and shoot. And I am by no means an expert on this.
    The Camera is actually tethered to a D ring on my tank bag so there is no way to lose it. .
    Here's my personal procedure: (yours will probably differ)

• On a straight stretch, set throttle lock
    • Remove camera from case (also tethered to tank bag)
    • Turn camera on
    • Damn gloves!
    • Turn camera on again
    • Hold camera low and hit the button with my thumb
    • When I'm not shooting it just lays against my left leg
    • Take a LOT of photos
    While they should come out like this:
    [​IMG]
    Or this:
    [​IMG]
    Often I get stuff like this:
    [​IMG]
    Or even this:
    [​IMG]
    Or this:
    [​IMG]

I just keep taking 'em. About one out of four are worth saving. (I have very low standards though :lol3)
  15. FJracer

FJracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gotta agree with ya on Riding in the South in the Summer. BRUTAL!
    I thought NC might be a solution. Better.......IF your at some elevation. But inevitably you've got to come down for food.
  16. FJracer

FJracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep! I certainly noticed less Bikes in the areas of Ark. I traveled. Traffic was thin too except near the tourist attractions. But that's pretty much the same for the roads I ride here. Very few cars/trucks to deal with.
    Some pretty rough pavement the further west I went. That Hwy 22 comin' back from Mt. Magazine was the "pits". But 27 headed north from 298 was an unexpected gem.
  17. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Brutal is right. If I could export humidity to a willing buyer, I could be the next Donald Trump but alas...I may have to resume my misadventures in September. :cry

(Yes, I'm being a "weenie" :lol3)
  18. Tom48

Tom48 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great post.
  19. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Well thanks for lookin'. :evil

Check back later, I have another Ozark trip coming up very soon.
    Don't worry about me, I'll be riding in "Dry" county's mostly so I will be completely safe...except for the deer...and the farm implements...and Jet-ski's falling off trailers. :1drink
    [​IMG]
  20. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    alas, that one lane bridge is no more. :cry

I was thru there a couple of weeks ago and it was still there, but they had the road construction signs up and heavy equipment in place. It's a shame, really. I LOVE that road. There is lots of good riding in that area. I was exploring that area once and got lost, stopped to ask some locals for directions, and it turned out they were just as lost as I was. Nice people though. :lol3

I have crossed the TN River on that ferry many times. It used to be that you could ride up to the "bridge to nowhere". I walked out on it once, all the way to the end. SCARY!:eek1

I'm lovin' your RR!

:clap:clap:clap