2011 bmw g 650 gs fork failure

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by antiquewidow, Jun 22, 2011.

1. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    -100. Thread started by the account of a failure of the re-designed fork. IMO, riding one of these things, given BMW's secrecy about the failures, is having a death wish.
  2. reenmachine

reenmachine Rain or Shine

Oddometer:
    I have a death wish then.

Silence doesn't necessarily mean secrecy and suppression of information. Sometimes silence happens because there isn't actually anything to say!
  3. slide

Oddometer:
    If BMW had, instead of denying all the failures, had said the failures were due to ABC and to make sure that ABC never recurs it has implemented XYZ, I'd feel ok but the whole thing. However, BMW's silence and constant denial that these crashes were caused by everything except the old model forks, makes me question the new model ones especially in light of this thread.
  4. zig06

zig06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was seriously going to buy a Sertao last fall, and in the process of doing some basic research I ran across "the fork issue". After looking up what that was and what changes were made from the old design to the new design, and then wondering why they didn't spec out even the basic USD forks off of the X-Country, I decided to not buy this bike.

After all, beyond all of the fork issues (real or perceived) BMW is asking a premium price for a bike with average suspension. And while it's true that I could upgrade the suspension with some USD Kayaba of Showa forks (or KLX forks ...), for the asking price BMW should have already done this. Especially when you cosider the past troubles (real or perceived).

Which is sad because I really do like the bike (and that's for real).
  5. Libertynh

Libertynh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really sorry to hear about your wreck and hope you recover quickly and well. I had one early on too that was outside my control and have enjoyed years of riding since. Gear and injuries sound pretty much the same. About the bike, honestly it would be on my trailer and being parked right out front at the dealer while I hobbled in to talk to the manager every busy day until I got the answers I wanted. Most folks would probably go the lawyer route I suppose.
  6. kc2ine

kc2ine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yet, how can anyone be sure now??? problems in 2008, then in 2011 - that every 3 years, so next case maybe in 2014...few months to go.
  7. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Now you have to try to stir it up here. What's your problem? Not enough love as a child?
  8. _vortex_

_vortex_ snow snow snow :(

Oddometer:

Someone should point the herd of lawyers currently going after GM and their killer ignition switch over this way.

Rather similar... bad design, severely injures or kills, silently fixed with a part change without changing the part numbers to try to cover up the problem...
  9. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    The ignition switch is a non issue, only a total dumbass would crash their car because the engine quit. I have zero sympathy for those people.

Having your front wheel fall off your forks is something that will likely kill you, and no amount of skill in the world will save you if this happens.

Mike
  10. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    If you look at any industry in history, there have always been cover ups, and attempts to silence anyone that would expose a problem. To just say " BMW would not try to cover up a problem " is just dumb. But hey, industries love people like you :) Next you will be saying how honest all the cigarette companies were in the 1950's, and that smoking is harmless ....

I would not say you have a death wish, I would just say that you could be a little smarter... Personally, if someone gave me a BMW, I would probably ride it. But I most definitely be checking that fork attachment for cracks under magnification on a regular basis...

If I were buying a bike of that class, there would be no choice, the Yamaha Super Ténéré :thumbup

Mike
  11. _vortex_

Oddometer:
    And yet... the lawyer are going to _easily_ win against GM.

All the more reason this should be a slam dunk.
  12. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    All the yapping in this thread.....

The ignition switches have nothing in common with this defect, other than the fact that they are both defects. The issue with the ignition switch was that the defect was conciously designed in. The failure mode was repeatable and the switches alwaays failed in the same way.

We do not have that here. If the fork failures all showed the same metallurgy, this would have been resolved a while ago. They don't, therefore it is very very challenging to say who is fault., or even if true fault exists.
  13. slide

Oddometer:
    I agree. C&D did an analysis of the dead ones. Something like 70% of those who died when their ignition switch cut off were drunk or drugged or both.
  14. PT Rider

PT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many drivers do not realize that they must muscle the steering when the power steering stops, and that they may need to put two feet on the brake pedal when the power brakes quit. They weren't taught this, but they should be. They aren't a dumbass, they're untrained. And, the air bags don't deploy when the car crashes after the ignition switches itself off.
  15. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    So is there some link where one could view the results of the failure analysis you refer to? There are many other models of motorcycle with similarly designed lower fork legs that don't seem to be failing. When have you heard of a fork failure on the lowly KLR for example?

Regards....just jeff
  16. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Seriously guys, this is pointless. The only information that has ever been found is in this thread and there's no benefit in continuing to beat a dead horse and hurl insults.

The thread should be locked.
  17. zig06

zig06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same camp as you. I've never heard of any other model having experienced this type of failure, including the KLR. I've even considered buying the G650 and installing KLR forks as they do have better bracing down around the axle boss. The part that grinds me even more is that for what BMW is asking for this model you'd expect to get better suspension components (i.e. USD forks).
  18. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    soooo .. what was the final solution?
    sorry have not read this massive thread ..
  19. _vortex_

Oddometer:

Its not really about fact that there was a defect. Its how the company reacted to the defect. Here, they have apparently silently settled with all owners that sued them, requiring non-disclosures, not issuing a recall, not issuing a service bulletin, silently changing the construction of the defective part without even changing the part number.

GM did all of those same things.... and now they have multiple class action lawsuits, and massive recall, and are setting up a multi-billion dollar payout fund. To try to save face, they are now firing all of the engineers / lawyers and VPs that were involved in the switch coverup.

Some lawyer needs to file the proper type of lawsuit against BMW to compel them to release their internal info - you know darn well they have all of the evidence necessary. They didn't redesign the forks because they felt like it.

And to be honest who really cares about the metallurgy? If they can't control their supply chain well enough to make the metallurgy meet the specs, then maybe they should over-design the part like every other manufacturer in the world... you know, the ones where the front wheels don't fall off the bike.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/WcU4t6zRAKg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I guess it only makes sense to those of us who have participated in OE/Tier transportation recalls in administrative and technical roles. I have yet to do one from the regulatory side. :norton

The GM case is open and shut for NHTSA - and notice that NHTSA has not actually required GM to recall the switches. Why? Because they perform as designed, and to the current safety standard. GM is recalling them because there are so damn many of them and they are cheap to R&R. Additionally, the "defect" is possible to design out with simple engineering, and NHTSA can quickly confirm that the fix will work as designed without impacting other systems.

A defect that can't be quantified, qualified, or otherwise measured is almost impossible to design around. BMW has beefed up the axle buss twice, and there are still occasional fractures. Believe it or not, NHTSA has some engineers on staff, and I am quite sure that they have consulted to BMW to try to fix the problem. When BMW and NHTSA can figure out what the root cause of the fractures is and provide a certifiable means to eliminate them, then and only then can NHTSA force a recall. Prior to that, if the failure rate does not exceed the federal guidelines, meh. Also, up until a recall is ordered, people CAN sue BMW. Once the recall is issued, it's not so easy.

Like I said, I guess the whole recall process only makes sense to those of us who have to operate the process.

Perhaps you guys should put some of the effort into reforming NHTSA. It would be much more effective than screaming on the internet about BMW.

Besides, I can see exactly what the outcome of a recall would be already. Every bike would be hauled into the dealership and the fork ends would be treated with Magnaflux dye. No cracks after some predetermined number of miles that BMW and NHTSA agree is realistic? Good to go. And then if it broke after the mileage number was exceeded, well, tough shit. Those whose cracks were caught early enough would get to wait for new fork sliders, likely with the bike in impound at the dealership. Those who didn't would be SOL. Because that is how the law works.

Go to Grainger and buy your own dye and keep and eye on things. When you find a crack, post up and ask how to best approach BMW.