New "Old" KTM rider.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Spoke'nword, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Spoke'nword

Spoke'nword n00b

Oddometer:
    I started riding road bikes 35 years ago and did my license test on a used 1974 Kawasaki Z1B which I had just purchase sans riders license! In the years since I have owned the following bikes: Kawasaki Z1000 Mk 2, Honda K6 750 Four,1979 Triumph Bonneville 750, 1981 Harley Davidson 1340 FLH Shovelhead (still own this one), 1958 Triumph 'Model 21" 350, 1958 Triumph Speed Twin 500, BMW R50/5, also a 1958 model, Triumph T100,1968 Harley Davidson Sportster, BMW R25 single.

So I started on the big Horsepower Japanese bikes and moved through the British, American and German marques, did a lot of riding on them, and all had their plusses and minus's. Some had more horsepower, some handled way better than others and yet some had "personality and soul" which the others did not have. All great, in their own way.

Around 18 months ago I had the opportunity to pick up a very low Km 2009 KTM 990 ADVENTURE. To be honest, when I first saw the picture of the bike I a) didn't know what it was and B) thought it looked like a big plastic trail bike!
    I " googled" the bike and found not only this forum but lots of info about the big KTM. A "V" Twin,and not only that, a state of the art V twin. Coupled with long travel suspension, brembo brakes I mean, what doesn't this bike have?

I bought it.

I left yesterday morning and just came back a few hours ago from a 594 km round trip through the southern highlands of Vietnam ( forgot to mention I live in Vietnam and I am pretty sure this is the only 990 Adventure in the country)

I LOVE THIS BIKE

It has the best of every other machine I have ever owned wrapped up into the one machine and is the perfect 'do anything" bike for this country.

Have been a lurker on this forum for a couple of years and signed up about a year ago but this is my first post. Always read all the "this bike is better than that bike" and to be sure, I love Harley's and British bikes but my new love is the KTM!

Will post some pics of riding in Vietnam when I figure out how to post them
  2. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome, congratulation on the 990....lots to play with and indeed a personality. Good job you didn’t Google KTM SE. I went out to buy a BMW HP2.......:D
  3. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]Will post some pics of riding in Vietnam when I figure out how to post them[/QUOTE]

Put the pics in a photo website and copy the image code. What color did you buy?

[​IMG]

You can go anywhere on an Adventure. One of my memorable rides (on top of the world):
    [​IMG]
  4. Spoke'nword

Spoke'nword n00b

Oddometer:
    Orange! Is there any other colour?
  5. biggus

biggus Been here awhile

Oddometer:

YES!

"Blue and Orange":evil
  6. fredN4

fredN4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my last job before I retired was in Ho Chi Minh City. I hope you can find enough space to steer through the wall to wall Hondas! I love my 950, too. Take care out there.