o e m points and condensors for airhead

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by walkingbear, Feb 20, 2013.

1. walkingbear

walkingbear airhead_motocave

Oddometer:
    I have a R90S that I'm trying to keep stock. Looking for a new set of points and condensors instead of going to electronic .

Had a long talk with
    Motorrad Elektrik yesterday and he suggested keeping it as stock as possible.

The new stuff being sold by BMW dealers where all made in China. any sources for oem points here?
  2. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the crap Chinese points and condensers that are forcing me down the electronic ignition route with my 100/7. The last set of proper points ad condenser I had fitted had been on for over 10 years. I've now had three sets of points and condensers in the last three and they need frequent adjustment and tidying up. The arcing across the crap points, even when new, is sight to behold.

At least if I fit a Boyer I'll be fitting something that's made in England (albeit the South which always makes me suspicious).
  3. elite-less

elite-less MotorradDad

Oddometer:
  4. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    I'll second Noris. Good quality.

I added a Dyna Points Booster about 3-4 years ago. The points last longer (no electrical pitting) but the rubbing block wears slowly and the point gap needs to be adjusted at 3000-5000 intervals. Been reliable.

--Bill
  5. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  6. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try Motobins in the UK. They have lots of parts for these old airheads.
  7. homere

homere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huckey sells a"Bremi", made in germany ? anyone try these?
  8. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motobins supplied the cheapo points and condensers currently in my bike.
  9. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    A lot of reasons in this thread as to why I like electronic. Service every 3 to 5k miles? With the timing constantly changing in between? Nein Danke! I'll stick to servicing my electronic ignition every 100 to 200K miles or whenever it breaks with rock solid timing and spark the whole time in between.
  10. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel the same as Supershaft. I like to ride, not futz with stuff so I can take a short ride and futz some more. Therefore, I will keep my OEM electronic ignition until it fails. Actually, have yet to have one fail on any of my bikes. I guess as I get closer to the 300,000 plus miles, I may be looking at a replacement.

Sure, electronic is more expensive than points at the stealership, but if you add up all the points needed to last 300,000+ miles, I think the costs actually are in favour of the electronic. And a whole lot less time spent futzing.
  11. walkingbear

Oddometer:
    I understand the value of electronic ignition on a reg rider. I have the option to change from points to electronic. The value of a motorcycle is more if it is stock. I'm just looking for good replacements and I will have them put away for the next 10years so I can pass it along to my son or grandson.
  12. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    And your bike is running better most of the time. Brand new points only work like brand new when they are brand new.
  13. DoktorT

DoktorT BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer:
    Geez, I got over 20k on my points and still function nominal, as new. With the Dyna Booster they just need a few minutes maintenance every few years at my pace. There are advantages and disadvantages to either points or electronic. What is best for one is not wanted by another. Super's opinion is no better or worse than any other, just another DIYer but with the attitude that if you don't do it his way, you must be wrong.

It's just a bogas premise on it's face to suggest over and over again one way is better for everyone until all are convinced.

Bad opinion stated "McMillions" of times does not convert it to good opinion.
    Mouse likes this.
  14. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Well put. As I said earlier, one advantage to the Dyna Booster is that the Dwell (the "coil saturation time interval") is set electronically and the electrical load on the points is reduced to milliamps. As the wear on the points rubbing block closes the point gap, the ignition timing will slowly shift towards retarded. A quick periodic check with a timing light will tell where the timing is and whether or not the gap need to be opened. At that time, I'll refresh the point cam lube and run a strip of business card through the points to clean up any residual oxidation (the latter is not really needed, I'm just being picky).

--Bill
  15. JimX

JimX .. .

Oddometer:
    So a preference for electronic ignition is just a "bad opinion"? No charlatan references? You're slipping, Dok.
  16. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come on Dok, You really could do better.

If you think that your points with 20K on them are working as good as new, great. Good for you. At that rate, you probably will never ever have to replace them. I am certain that a lot of people would love to know your special secret.

Under normal circumstances, points will deteriorate due to normal arcing of the spark as well as wear of the cam rub block. Also, the condenser will slowly stop being able to work at optimum performance. And with any mechanical points that are in moved back and forth basically held in place by a spring, they will go out of alignment. And eventually that little spring will eventually lose it's tension. It is just normal wear and tear that has been around ever since points systems were invented.

All that being said, I really doubt that SS wants everybody to change to electronic. I think that it is more that electronic will usually result in less maintenance required, and better performance. Both his and my preference is electronic. But, there is nothing wrong with using points. I did not see anything in his post stating that everyone that currently is running points, should or has to change to electronic.

I think it comes down to personal preference. We would rather have electronic that we are comfortable with relying on. Easy set up and way less maintenance equals more time to be out riding or doing other things that we enjoy.
  17. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    I'm a points fan, especially with a Dyna booster that turns the points into just a trigger and they do last much longer. Simple and easy to diagnose if you have issues. Plus I like original and like to tinker. If I wanted everything upgraded I'd buy a new bike. I haven't seen any issues with points quality lately including non norris which I assume is chinese unless someone else is making them. The early chinese ones had a too long rubbing block and they just couldn't be set and timed correctly. That's been fixed. Points are not rocket science, been around a long time for better or worse.
  18. DoktorT

DoktorT BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. The booster shuts down points contact wear dramatically, cutting maintenance only to occasional checking of gap. Keep the rubbing block properly lubed and the rate of wear is very low. I have checked these twice in the last 6k miles and no adjustment was necessary, just a dab of lube and on down the road.

Kettering ignitions served everyone for around a hundred years. And I have seen many hundreds of condensers over 30 years old and function nominal.

And by the way, as to performance of 20k miles points, I get 48 to 54 mpg on the highway with my 79 RS. Indeed, proof of the highly refined tuning my background allows me with ease. The DIY'er who prefers the least possible maintenace and shuns the need to learn procedures should of course avoid anything mechanical and rely upon the "no maintenance" claims of the charlatans selling the wizbang aftermarket goods. You will get "huge increase in power, big gains in mpg, and every spark will send a prayer to Shiva", if you believe it.
  19. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    And my 1981 completely stock R100RT, still with the original electronic ignition, averages 45MPG when ridden hard and fully loaded, and into 50-55 MPG when ridden like a normal semi sane person. I used to check the ignition system every year, but have not done so for the past 6 years in which I have done approx. 85,000 miles. But, it still runs fine. Maybe I will check the ignition system in a few more years.
  20. walkingbear

Oddometer:
    I have order 4 sets of points. 4 booster . I have 3 pre 80's airheads that I am restoring. I will keep one spare set put away with the R90s parts.

I have an 81 RT and a 83 R80GS that are runners, one R100GS and R100mystic that are projects.

This should keep me busy for the next few years. Lucky I'm semi retired