G/S Centerstand

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Spark Plug, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Spark Plug

Spark Plug Low on compression

Oddometer:
    I need a little help. I recently aquired a 85 R80 G/S. I'm pretty sure it has a ST stand on it as the front wheel barely comes up off the ground.

My question is where is the stop for the stand? It looks when retracted the leg ends should be resting against the frame but this one contacts the exhaust on the toe tab first.

I was under the impression that the frame and exhaust were the same on the ST-G/S but the stand was shorter.
  2. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a shot to show what kind of clearance you should have on the front:

[​IMG]
  3. Spark Plug

Oddometer:
    I have about 1/2" so I'm pretty sure it's a ST stand.
  4. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    It could be that the stand or mounting lugs are bent and/or the bushes worn, my G/S's front wheel is closer to the ground than it should be because of this.
  5. Spark Plug

Oddometer:
    Nope checked it and there is little play in it. I had a R60 that had that problem.

The height isn't my concern. I'm trying to figure out why the stand hits the exhaust when retracted.
  6. Bluethumb

Bluethumb Long timer

Oddometer:
    A common modification was to swap out the G/S stand for an ST allowing the bike to be rolled up on the centerstand much easier. On my G/S as well as a GS I owned, I'd section one inch out of the centerstand making it easier to deploy. As long as the front wheel is off the ground, tires can still be removed. I've never understood why the need for such a long stand on the G/S or GS. Makes it a bitch to get up on the centerstand, especially loaded down. I took my G/S all over the place including some pretty wild dirt and never felt a shorter stand was a problem - never once wished for a longer stand.

The modified stand still hit against the frame, never the exhaust. There's something odd about yours to be hitting the exhaust.
  7. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    '81 G/S stock stand: the center tube of the stand on mine whacks the exhaust collector when folded up. Must have done it for possibly forever judging from the wear mark on the collector. It finally wore a tiny hole in the collector that i put a spot of weld on.

No amount of header/collector tango dancing adjustment ever seemed to make much difference :dunno
  8. Puddle

Puddle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine has a rubber bumper on the frame that the stand comes up and rests against so it doesn't hit the collector. Sorry no pic.