Northern VA Chatter Thread

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by HBN, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Why don't we do it in my garage in DC?

You might want to get an air filter since we will be in that area.

You should get some spark plugs. A couple of head gaskets too, just in case. I also replace my radiator fluid, bring some of that too.

I will post up when I get the shim kit, we can schedule a date at that point.

I have a Twin Max for throttle body synching. I have, I believe, all the tools needed to do the job but having duplicates would not be a bad thing. This would include torque wrenches, sockets, etc.

I have some supplies like loctite, hand soap, gloves and rags but you might want to bring what you have.

We could do my bike first for practice and because the engine will be cold. We could then do something of an assembly line to knock them all out.

I have done this twice before but do not consider myself an expert at this.

Here is some stuff to look at to help figure out what to do:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195248

http://blacklabadventures.com/2012/02/18/2007-dl-650-valve-check-and-adjustment/

http://perljam.net/motorcycle/dl650/valve-adjustment/

http://www.vstrom.info/forum/forum_files/VStrom650ThrottleBody.pdf

With all this information and the collective geniuses that we is, what could possibly go wrong?:rofl
  2. pglc

pglc 2B1ask1

Oddometer:
    Can a guy come over and watch some of the work being done?

Pete

3. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

Sure! Bring beer! :1drink
  4. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about doing such a thing next year. I want to buy a Guzzi from a friend who works at a dealer in Seattle

BTW, did you pick up free Doritos the other day?
  6. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

Not into the "special Doritos" . . . . :eek1

Washington is still trying to deconflict the new state law with existing federal law, and not doing a really great job yet! :brow

The Guzzi dealer in Seattle has a good rep. Why don't you fly out, buy the RT, ride it around the country (literally), and then trade it for a Guzzi? :wink:
  7. pglc

pglc 2B1ask1

Oddometer:
    Just let me know when and where...

8. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I might stop by and watch
  9. Lacedaemon

Lacedaemon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't grab one of those, the burgers were too good. Now I regret it. A lot.
  10. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    You my friend are a true voyeur.:evil

VAC
  11. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    says the pot to the kettle :wink: So ur ass survived the round trip to LF, soggy and all, the hack ride any better with the fork upgrade?
  12. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe a little firmer. Hard to say. I was never good with the seat-of-the-pants evaluations. No breaks or leaks so I am pleased with that. AND, if you ever accessed my browser history you would see that I too, like to watch.....

VAC
  13. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:

:rofl

Looks like everyone had some good riding and wrenching this weekend. Gotta make the next tech session.

Had an opportunity to use a friends house out in Lost River and rolled out Friday for the weekend.

Hiked to Tibbet Knob on Friday afternoon and rode over the mountains on Saturday - and visited Paradise City :huh in the PM to celebrate my buddys birthday. We also watched :lol3.

View from Tibbet's Knob and company

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scouting around Laurel Run FDR 252 and view off of Judge Rye

[​IMG]
  14. Hack

Hack .......

Oddometer:
    Why must you always say creepy shit the weeks when I'm going to be staying at your house? :D
  15. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll deguass the hard drive before you get here. Rest easy my friend as I will be several states away.:D

VAC
  16. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the links!
    Unfortunately I'll most likely be working weekends thru mid October so a tech day until after that point in time is out of the question for me. :cry
    Plus, I'm skierd of the big city! :lol3
  17. CaptnSlo

CaptnSlo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey peeps - I'm thinking about picking up a Tiger 800 and am wondering what my options are for service.

I've heard mixed things about the other "local" Triumph places (there aren't many, it seems). I think one of you described a MD dealership as Mordor, so I'm looking for places that aren't like that.

Also, has anyone had any experience with the new Triumph shop in Manassas? I stopped by about a month ago and it seemed like a nice place but I haven't read/heard any reviews of it.

Thanks in advance for any input.
  18. Dr. Beard

Dr. Beard Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer:
    The only thing I can say about the new place in Manassas is that their delivery drivers are great people. :lol3 My only interaction with that (VERY new) dealer was taking delivery of a bike for friend who was out of town. The driver said that the staff was trying to get used to the idea of being a motorcycle place, but that the owner was "extremely enthusiastic" about the bikes. Take that as you will.
  19. TH

TH There and Here

Oddometer:
    I've had mixed experience when having my Triumphs services. I definitely will not go back to the Baltimore dealer. The Frederick, MD dealer was OK, but I had to have them address a few separate things before I actually got back on the road (gas guage and speedo were not connected properly).

The Manassas Triumph dealer is brand spanking new. I haven't heard anything about them yet. I was so frustrated with the service I was getting on the Tiger 1050 I owned that I ended up taking it to a dealer in Connecticut. The dealers in the immediate area (at that time) were not that helpful. I hope the Manassas dealer is focused on customer service. I still own a 955 Sprint ST that I will need serviced in the near future, unless I decide to bite the bullet and do it all myself.
  20. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    saw this on women and old bikes and thought... " I've seen that upper front end before.. in someone's garage"

[​IMG]