Labor Day Solo trip 2010 in Oregon Outback

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by smilin jack, Sep 15, 2010.

1. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loaded up the DR650 with a mountain of junk for the 5 day ride from the Interstate 5 corridor of Oregon for a long day ride to Central Oregon. I headed over Santiam Pass on hwy 20 to Bend (110 miles) and stopped for fuel and food.

Went south of Bend on hwy 97 about 30 miles to hwy 31 and went almost 100 miles to Fort Rock State Park for a rest, before continuing to Christmas Valley for a fuel and adult beverage stop (got a box of beer).

Headed on about 50 miles, and before reaching hwy 395, turned south on a gravel/sand road into the rim rock valleys. Found a great spot to set up the tent and wait on my friends that were showing up the next day.

After camp was up, decided to head out for a 10 mile loop before dark. Saw lots of jack rabbits, a few coyotes and had a blast riding the dirt roads at high speed. Stopped at the designated meeting spot... and NO, they weren't there yet.

Back at camp, had a few adult beverages, took a nap on the cot and got some sunset photos. Went for a short walk down the ridge and went to bed. Didn't sleep much that night. The coyotes were all over, howling at the moon? Some of them were pretty close.

Here's camp just before sunset.

Dave

Attached Files:

2. smilin jack

Oddometer:
    Woke up the next morning and got coffee and oatmeal started on the Pepsi can stove. It really works great with Heet (yellow bottle) for fuel... not so well with rubbing alcohol.

Found a 6000 pound flat rock for a table to set up the cook stoves near camp. In this photo, the stove is going (steam on pot) and can't see the stove flame. It really burns hot.

Dave

Attached Files:

3. smilin jack

Oddometer:
    Here's another picture of the coffee funnel and oatmeal in the plastic bag.

Dave

Attached Files:

4. smilin jack

Oddometer:
    Here's a picture of the area we went jack rabbit hunting.

About 7am the bike was loaded and I headed over to the meeting spot. Turns out my friends got there about 9pm the night before and were about 4 miles from where I had camped.

I was invited to sleep on the couch in the camper, so didn't need to set up my camp again. They did all the cooking and we really ate well. BBQ steaks, fried halibut, BBQ sausages etc. Glad I'd chipped in on the food budget.

We did a lot of walking the sage brush rolling hills looking for jack rabbits. Found lots, but those little rascals really run fast. It's pretty had to hit a running rabbit with a 22LR rifle, but we each did get some. One of the guys called in a coyote.

The DR sat parked for four days. For the trip home, I got them to haul my camping gear so I could hit the road flying. I took the long way home, going about 50 miles of desert before reaching pavement and the 200+ miles, fighting the Labor Day traffic. A few gravel road "short cuts" were taken, but extended the time to get home.

Dave

Attached Files:

5. smilin jack

Oddometer:
    Here's a picture of me inside the camper. It had been cold outside while star gazing so wore my riding coat to keep warm. It was almost bed time.

The stars were almost close enough to touch. Had frost several mornings and was glad to be sleeping in the heated camper.

Did get some photos of the actual hunting (dead stuff) but this is a motorbike site...

Dave

Attached Files:

6. smilin jack

Oddometer:
    Here's my little 1970 Ruger 22LR and the DR on day 1.

Attached Files:

7. Kodanja

Kodanja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They're harmless to humans (unless they're very hungry :D ), but that sound sure is eerie when it's dark out. Looks like you had a fun time.
  8. fbritt5

fbritt5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear the Coyotees in Central Oregon are big, mean and smart. They like to sleep in tents....and eat human food...

Nice trip report - thanks - Frank
  9. smilin jack

Oddometer:
    Yep, never been bit by a coyote yet, but they do know how to keep me from sleeping much. I was an armed camper and wasn't worried... just too noisy to sleep much.

One of our guys ended up bagging a coyote several days later. We did have fun chasing the jack rabbits and wore ourselves out walking the desert looking for those speed demons.

Kodanja, hope to meet up with you at Hells Canyon Gathering 2011. I plan on going with Frank (fbritt5).

Dave
  10. smilin jack

Oddometer:
    The first evening I sat in the shade of the bike and had a few beers while sitting on the 1/2 rack box. It was too warm to set up camp, so cooled my heels while waiting a while.

I wrote two pages of a letter to my son back in South Carolina. Never did finish it. After meeting up the next day with my friends, I was having too much fun to write a letter. I'll finish it soon and mail it. He's been rabbit hunting with me since a little kid. He doesn't have email now, being unemployed etc. It's a rough life out there.

Dave
  11. fbritt5

fbritt5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I once slept on the top of a cover that went over a picnic table because the Coyotes were making so much noise. I was a bit young and alone so i was scared to death. I also froze my butt off. It was time to move to a safer place after that night. I wish I had my DR then! Would have made things a bit more simple.

Nice report. Have a good one.

Frank