The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. itrack

itrack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. gnath9

gnath9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I get around to ordering all my parts (getting c/c paid down first) I think these guys have a lot to offer.

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/290_293/products_id/4743

I still need to decide on what gearing to go with. If the lower chain guide was not an issue I think I would just put a 50 on the rear and leave the front a 14. I am currently thinking of going with a 13/45 combo.
  3. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    Hardly surprising, that forum smells like a Junior High locker room. I've been on it since 2011 and only venture in there when I'm bored.
  4. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    If your obsessed with knowing how the oil you chose is doing you can spend $25 and have it analyzed here:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

I send in the oil from my Husaberg regularly, but I also push the envelope with the miles I put on that high performance engine's oil in my travels, sometimes doubling recommended intervals out of pure necessity.

While the Husa does have a wet clutch and calls for full synthetic, I won't be spending the cash for it on the Honda as I don't think it really is going to matter in the long run, there's too many Honda's in the world that have many miles using whatever standard oil is around and lets face it, this engine isn't high performance. Maybe I'll try a semi-synthetic to see if it will help the shifting be smoother, after we get plenty of miles to wear in the engine but maybe not...

It's a Honda, just ride it. :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Previously, I exclusively used Easter Timber Rattlesnake Oil, harvested only from serpents employed during religious snake-handling ceremonies in Appalachia. Croatalus horridus, the timber rattler, when harvested from the free range, produces unsurpassed base oil stocks. These excellent base stocks are further, miraculously enhanced during the religious ceremonies. :nod

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the cost of collecting, handling, and harvesting these serpents has became prohibitive, so I switched to 15W/40 motor oil. The diesel motor oil is doing an excellent job for me, so I intend to keep using it. :evil

Spud :wink:
  6. RockRacing

RockRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey when your all done worrying bout oil could I plz get those torque specs from someone with a manual.
  8. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

you looking for the specs for the pinch bolts (forks) connecting to the triple clamp or the triple clamp connecting to the frame or the bars connecting to the triple clamp?
  9. itrack

itrack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got an email saying my Big Gun Evo Eco was on back order from the other company posted earlier. I emailed Tom at tom@biohazardcycles.com and he sold me one for $175 shipped. :clap Tom was great to work with over email and sent me an invoice within 10 minutes of requesting one. Figured I would pass this on as its the cheapest slip on by a long shot I have seen.
  10. Rider1

Rider1 Ridin' Dave

Oddometer:
    Lost,

What's the name and or location of the pass in the photo of death valley?

I asked earlier maybe you missed it?

Thanks,
    Dave

11. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Sorry Dave this thread moves fast.. :evil

That's Lippencott Pass going down into Saline Valley coming from the Race Track. Awesome road, though tricky in a few places and cold as hell this time of year.

The LRP was just perfect for Nancy though, and easy to pick up. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  12. JRaye89

JRaye89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Jinksy

Jinksy - Jinksy

Oddometer:
    Hey man, sorry I can't help you out I'm down in VA. I will tell you that I got rid of my Honda Shadow to get the CRF 250l and am very happy I did that. My cousin sold his street bike and got a WZ 250. His bike is a lot quicker then mine but for the price the Honda is definately the best deal out there. It doesn't wheelie well but Honda's aren't really known for that. It is a solid bike and I wouldn't trade it for any other dual sport. I've heard of people just doing some minor adjustments to increase the HP but I am a little more reserved because I can't afford to get hurt on it. Good luck and be safe!
  14. Jinksy

Jinksy - Jinksy

Oddometer:
    New to the site, new to this thread. How do you upload photos?
  15. Rider1

Rider1 Ridin' Dave

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lost !

Talk about cold....it's real cold here in Vegas, today especially with the wind.

Dave

16. Jinksy

Jinksy - Jinksy

Oddometer:
  17. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Triple clamp to fork
  18. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    35 Nm
  19. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    You need to use an external photo hosting site, I use Smugmug. The trial is free and basic service is cheap.... NO ads, no spam, no nothing but pro quality service. The main reason I promote using SM instead of one of the free services out there is the founder and owner of ADVrider.com is also the owner of Smugmug. We have a FREE, Ad Free good thing going here on ADV thanks to him and a little support is the right thing to do IMO.

Once you upload the photos to SM or some other free and Ad ridden BS hosting site, copy the "share" code, then click the little box when your in the "post a reply" window that looks like mountains with a postage stamp. Then hit OK, then post away.

We like photos here on ADV. :deal

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask, though searching around the the site will help you get your ADVrider.com groove on better and ask the questions in the right place.

When in doubt, type this code in Google, substituting "posting photos" with anything you're looking for:

site:advrider.com, posting photos

Start here and read all the stickies, then read the stickies at the top of each forum your in. Will help you understand what's going on here, maybe even help understand why some guy is sounding like a douchebag, but in reality he's talking to you like you're an old friend standing around a campfire....

Welcome to ADVrider!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Here to be cool and post photos.

https://www.smugmug.com
  20. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

Well... it did very good with no major issues except one of the many falls was right onto the perfect sized big rock that bent the shit out of the radiator. Normal wear and tear for a team Lost Rider Adventure. :evil
    Luckily no leaks on the radiator, and I'll be taking it in to a local auto shop to straighten it out.
    I'm hoping for a more stout radiator guard to become available, I'm not convinced the ones made from pressed aluminum sheets will provide enough lateral strength to survive a sideways hit as well as could be. I'm sure it would help though and I haven't seen one in person.
    Luckily Honda made the radiators out of some pretty flexible metal and it wasn't a ride killer. :evil
    Hopefully these guys will make one for the LRP:

https://www.bulletproofdesigns.com/products/type/radiator-guards.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honda also made the shift lever nice and flexible and while it did get bent up a few times, it was easy to straighten out to keep on riding, no foldable one going on this LRP, would rather bend the lever than break the shaft instead when we hit just the right rock and there's no give.

[​IMG]

We were able to run heated grips and heated socks with no issues of running out the battery, so it seems the charging system is stout enough for comfortable cold weather riding.

[​IMG]

The tool tube and fender bag carrying essential spare tubes and tools for trailside repairs in places that didn't interfere with the packing of camping gear and extra fuel worked out great too.

[​IMG]

The Highway Dirt Bike handgaurds took the punishment as usual in stride, transferring the hits directly to the top clamp and not breaking or bending the Protaper bars. The Flatlands tail rack was essential for securely holding a gas can with ROK straps and providing tie off points for the camping gear.
    Overall the LRP took the first of many beatings (rides) to come... Most of the way I set this bike up comes from lots of experience riding in demanding conditions, Honda has a well earned reputation for being bullet proof.... It's proving to be a perfect DS bike for the less aggressive rider and we hope to see many miles of good dirty fun out of it.
    So far it's Nancy Proof. :deal

Here's another short video of the latest LRP ride. :evil

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/57427638" width="1279" height="719" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>