Panhandle Old Guys

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by ElusivePedro, Jun 9, 2011.

1. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    BTW, just to clarify, and believe it or not -- the little blueish bits down there in between the painted lower pinstripes are more reflections from the black paint! :wink:
  2. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    Okay - I'll stop for now but...

This mirror finish is pretty damn crazy.

[​IMG]
  3. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yCSMCgqlc-0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  4. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Amen to that Pedro!
  5. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    Thanks, T!

Things are looking up here at the Pedro Casa del rojas. Time to get serious about the R80. Wonder if I could just jet to p-cola and get the BING 32 rebuild parts I need there...

Tank - RTG.
    [​IMG]

Used Clymers Manual. Required.
    [​IMG]

New battery. Of course.
    [​IMG]

And just for good measure, a dollop of cool.
    [​IMG]
  6. r_bin

r_bin Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    First Class there Pedro...
    Let go riding when you get er done!
  8. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:

That "Woody" has "Chucklehead" written all over it. :clap
  9. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Needs more hood stack :deal
  10. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    I was a sophomore in high school 50 years ago on Nov 22, 1963.

That's the day Kennedy was shot. We got out early.
  11. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in 5th grade.
    We got out of school early too.
    The fifties and sixties were the best of times and what seemed like the worst of times.
    Watching the funeral proceedings on TV, I can still remember the drum cadence of the funeral procession to Arlington.
    A picture I took a couple years ago.

[​IMG]
  12. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    Sadly, I wasn't born in the 50s or 60s! :cry and... I'm not very smart either since I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night
  13. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    I’ve been everywhere: Dodge A-100-based Xplorer motorhome at Hershey

Daniel Strohl Nov 18th, 2013 at 4pm | 36 comments
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes some of the more intriguing vehicles at Hershey aren’t there for sale or for show; instead, they’re the trucks, vans, trailers and motorhomes that vendors and other Hershey participants use to haul their cars and parts to the event. Take, for instance, Tony Concepcion’s 1970 Xplorer 21 motorhome, built by a man who some consider one of the founding fathers of the modern motorhome industry, which we spotted on Hershey’s Red Field last month.
    In 1963, Ray Frank, a farmer from Brown City, Michigan, sold the motorhome company he’d started just a few years earlier to a pair of businessmen who would rename the company Travco. Frank had already pioneered the use of fiberglass in motorhome construction and helped establish Dodge as the foremost supplier of chassis to motorhome builders, but he envisioned an even more radical type of self-contained motorhome – one that would fit entirely within a home garage. He turned once again to Dodge, which supplied him with half-ton A-108 forward-control van chassis and front sheetmetal. To those, he added a fiberglass roof and body and all the furnishings one would expect in a full-size motorhome, including a kitchenette and bathroom. Thanks to a modified passenger-side floor section, his design also (just barely) allows six-foot adults to stand up inside the motorhome, and thanks to a couple bumpouts toward the rear, Frank was even able to include a six-foot, three-inch double bed.
    Introduced in 1969, the Xplorer 21 came in at less than 18 feet long, less than seven feet tall, and weighed about 4,400 pounds. Frank claimed that it would sleep six and even went so far as to say it could double as a second car, touting its low center of gravity and excellent handling compared to other motorhomes.
    [​IMG]
    Frank continued to produce the Xplorers through 1970 and then switched to the B-series chassis when Dodge introduced it for 1971. Tony, who runs Toys With Wheels in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, said the best anybody can tell is that Frank built about 50 of the A-108-based Xplorer 21s, about 16 of which are known to survive today. That hobbled Tony’s search for one, which he said took about 10 years. “I had a 1969 Travco, which was just an A-100 with a push-up top,” he said. “But it wasn’t a real camper – it didn’t have a bathroom.” His search turned up a couple Xplorers in less-than-usable shape, but ultimately took him in 2011 to New Jersey, where he found this 1970 Xplorer in the hands of its second owner.
    [​IMG]
    Photo courtesy Tony Concepcion.
    It had well over 100,000 miles on it, but both previous owners had kept it garaged and in excellent shape. It still had the original 318-cu.in. V-8 and three-speed automatic transmission, along with all of its equipment and furnishings. Both previous owners had taken it on extensive trips: It wears a Newfoundland access sticker, Tony has photos of it at Yellowstone National Park, and he’s heard stories of it traveling to Mexico, Alaska, California, and just about everywhere in between.
    [​IMG]
    Photo courtesy Tony Concepcion.
    While Tony said he’d like to take it on yet another cross-country trip, so far he’s been limited to camping trips in and around Pennsylvania and West Virginia and, of course, to the Carlisle and Hershey swap meets. “I’m amazed at how well it does with the mountains, and it does actually fit in my garage,” he said. “I have a 1968 Chrysler Town and Country station wagon, and it’s actually longer than the Xplorer.”
    And although Tony had a price of $19,500 on the Xplorer while at Hershey, he said that it was a “crazy” price put up to placate his girlfriend and that the Xplorer is in no way for sale. “I love it, I absolutely love it,” he said. “I don’t want to sell it because I couldn’t replace it. It took me 10 years to find this one. How long would it take to find another one?”

- See more at: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...er-motorhome-at-hershey/#sthash.O2LpAKgF.dpuf
  14. r_bin

r_bin Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Bn2bERxFwN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Fixed
  16. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    I wonder if that seat is a Corbin. :hmmmmm
  17. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks MUCH nicer than any corbin I've ever seen, and fo sho more spendy:deal
  18. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Can't tell either.
    Fo'sho, the one in the blue pants needs a SPANKIN!:deal
  19. forrestrider

forrestrider Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer:
    DAMMM Tony I did not know You wore Blue Spandex.
  20. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    TMI :lol3