F800GS / F650GS Britania Composites Fairing

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Ian B, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Ian B

Ian B Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer:
    As promised, some first pics of the production version of the Mirage 2 on an 800 showing the new dash. Unfortunately, there are some minor changes needed, but generally it has tested out very well. Certainly the new shape screen (with the 'scoop' ) on the bottom really rams the air up behind the screen and takes the air over your head. I wouldn't necessarily choose to, but I was OK up to 140kph with the visor of my shoie hornet still open a couple of inches.

Attached Files:

2. Ian B

Oddometer:
    more

Attached Files:

3. Ian B

Oddometer:
    and some more

Attached Files:

4. Ian B

Oddometer:
    again

Attached Files:

5. jaycommando

jaycommando Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok you got me, I'm hooked. Who's leg do I have to hump to get one? And what's my bank manager gonna think?
  6. Ian B

Oddometer:
    I think they will be shipping in a couple of weeks. Bank manager will need to stump up $490 plus shipping. Best to contact us at britanniacomposites@shaw.ca so we can let you know when they are ready.

Cheers Ian
  7. hwa

hwa n00b

Oddometer:
    Are those Canadian dollars or US$ ?

hwa

8. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Both, currently.
  9. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great Ian!
  10. niklasthedolphin

niklasthedolphin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That Mirage 2 looks very interesting indeed.

I wonder if it copes with the turbulens for tall people as well as Wunderlich Ergo Vario with TT spoiler as the Mirage seems a tad lower and narrower?

I also wonder there might be space for a small and a big AUX power plug as I have in my current TT dash?

I could be seriously interested if it proves to be quality and perform well and encounter the above mentioned issues.

Niklas
  11. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like how the fairing itself looks from the front and sides. However, there are some key parts that are turning me off of this product to the point where I wouldn't buy it unless it was addressed. Specifically, the very boxy squared off edges where the red arrows point to. I can understand the top square piece acting as a "dash" so to speak where you can mount a GPS or power plug or something. I could live with that part and even use it. But those darn boxy corners to the lower left and right of the OEM instrument cluster! I mean... dang! They stick out enough to where they interfere seriously with the lines of the fairing itself. I mean, you have this beautifully designed fairing with good lines that compliment the F800GS well. Then all of the sudden out of no where you have this 80's looking square that sticks out of the sides visibly. If you could somehow round off where the red lines are on the lower left and right of the instrument cluster, I'd be all in. And yes, because I can already hear an inmate chiming in with something like this, you could round things off on the lower left and right areas while still leaving enough material around the OEM instrument cluster for power plugs and switches and such.:deal

[​IMG]
  12. bpken11

bpken11 Back to the Dirt

Oddometer:
    From the front, this is a total winner. Then you get to the dash and there comes a big let down. I was all in, then I saw the lower part of the dash and well, just read what Griz said "ditto"
  13. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    Ian,
    Can you post a picture of the dash from the rider's perspective? Griz makes some good comments but I'd like to see that angle to help shape my opinion.
  14. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea... you really should put some burled walnut veneer on that sad lookin thang :D
  15. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    No offense, Ian, but I agree with The Griz. There is a big difference, IMHO, between the front of the screen and the back. It just seems too *bulky* for lack of a better word. Kinda like an old American car compared to the Euros. Looks like all the design work went into the front, and the rest was an afterthought. It would make my 800 look like a *cool* bike from the front, and a Goldwing from the back! Sorry if that sounds harsh..I applaud your effort in getting this project moving forward, and I was looking forward to the finished product with some anticipation.
  16. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    I was thinking maybe some cool carbon fibre from Ebrabaek :bow :lol3

In the mean time I will reserve my judgment until I see a rider perspective photo!
  17. Ian B

Oddometer:
    [quote='Flagger]Ian,
    Can you post a picture of the dash from the rider's perspective? Griz makes some good comments but I'd like to see that angle to help shape my opinion.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the bike is now back with it's owner, so I don't have a pic of the riders view. The comments about the hard edge is one of the changes that are going to be made (softening the edge). However, in real life, the edge isn't quite what it appears in the photo. The sides slope into the inside of the fairing at 45 degrees, so the edge isn't like the edge of a box, but rather a change in direction from flat and the edge itself is well inside the width of the fairing. In any event, I agree it will be more pleasing to look at with a more rounded edge.
  18. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having just spent the last day and a 1/2 figuring out where to mount my HID ballast boxes, StarCom head unit and aux fuse panel, I actually think all the flat surfaces are a great idea. The upper section looks like it would hold the Zumo as well.

I dig the utilitarian dashboard.
  19. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Well, at least someone likes it !!:cry The back of the dash is an ideal place for the HID ballasts etc and we do this with the Lynx fairings.

It's a shame the photos tend to make the dash look more dominant than it really is. Personally, I am more concerned with the look of the GPS platform. We have measured up on a zumo and 276 and decided that the platform can be made smaller and still accomodate these GPS units. The idea is that the platform should hardly show at all when the GPS is mounted.

We'll keep at it !
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl.......I`m flattered.....:D..... I have made several pieces over the years....most recently on a different forum. I asked for other riders opinion, and also were prepared for the friendly bashing to follow. The great thing is that one can draw upon the collective of riders....their thoughts.....ideas....which when summed together....is by far a broader r&d section than any manufacture can match. The hardest thing is when people critiques it in a such way....dictating changes....as Ian has now seen, But I`m sure he can see through it, and use it positively to perhaps better his products. And... I must say that Griz was in his best behavior.....:D.... If it was my product....I`d take a response like that very serious.
    Ian..... Is the fairing made from Glass....Polyester....epoxy???? Just curious.
    Good work, my fellow compositour.......:thumb:thumb

Erling