Bay Area Adventure Riders Club

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by T O Double D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

24,000 miles on the 250 since July 1 and I can't take any more of that thing. :baldy

Bought the wing, much happier on the cummute. Saves me 20 minutes per day not having to fight the wind...set the cruise and flip through the XM stations. :evil
  2. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I fully expected it, he'd been looking left over his shoulder looking for his buddy...you go where you look.

Glad you're ok Joe and knowing you were ok before I watched the video let me have a good belly laugh when I saw what you did. :lol3

Seriously glad you're ok. :beer
  3. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Joe, so glad to hear that you are ok. That was a nasty crash. Big respect to you for keeping it together and to Darrell, etal. for helping you (and your bike/gear) get out safely.
  4. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    thanks for posting that Joe.

When I ride my 990 I often keep my spot in my panniers or in the glove box..

No more.. its going on me just like when I ride my Honda !
  5. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree with THAT guy..[​IMG]

I used to strap it to my bike - now always on my CamelBack.
  6. Overcomb3

Overcomb3 Icy PUMA

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Total noob here. Been lurkin & thought I should say howdy.
    Well, can't say I've never owned a dual sport before(1998tiger) but I certainly never owned one like my new to me bike. 2008 990 S. I never really did much dirt riding on my tiger so lets just say I'm a complete novice. I got my new bike about 2 weeks ago & ain't been off it since;^}. I luv it and would sleep ride it if I could. Only problem I'm having is not enough time off work to get the hell outta da Bay Area to find sum dirt. Finally after lurkin here awhile & seeing the threads about summit road I gave it a shot. I totally waffled all morning about going. I checked the weather and it showed rain by the late afternoon. Now I know a lot of you must be thinking what kinda rider am I that I'm worried about a little rain. Well, lets get that outta the way right now. More than 20 yrs. 30 something bikes(I lost count). Mostly streetbikes & vintage beemers. So, truth be told I wasn't to keen on gettin caught in the rain and endin up riding in mud. I've got good gear and don't mind rain rides its the mud I fear. I've also got good crash bars & a skid plate.........just not installed yet. Anyway I decided screw it and went for a ride. Left Pinole around 1pm. Headed down 101 to 87. Followed almaden to Harry to Mckean and onto uvas. Y'all kno the rest I'm sure. After reading that there have been a few concerns about riding up there I was curious to say the least. As I got further up mt. Madonna rd the weather started to get pretty ominous. No rain tho. I turned right onto summit and prepared to surely run into rain before I found dirt. It was cold up there fo sho. No rain still. Found dirt and made my way. Passed a few cages and just waved. They waved back. No altercations & no residents openly protesting my presence. Really beautiful up there. I've lived near the bay most of my life but never knew this place existed. Great fun. Had a blast didn't crash and never saw a drop. Figure if I make this any longer y'all start tellin me to post to day rides. Sorry for the length just wanted to share.
  7. stutfl

stutfl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damm Joe, that was scary.

When you going back to finish the ride? need company?

8. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Welcome to ADV and to this Bay Area thread. :freaky
  9. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    there's a nice little article in Motorcyclist this month, entitled "Touring California on a 2012 Ural Sidecar | Side By Side"... which, a page into it mentions this little gem:

but... isn't all of Big Basin Redwoods State Park closed to all vehicles? did the magazine get special permission to ride/drive on the fire roads? or are they just romanticizing China Grade into something that sounds more like two track
    ... than the badly paved goat path that it is?

why do they get all the fun? us locals want to ride those roads too!

</rant off>
  10. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Sounds like some fanciful editor may have tweaked things a bit.

But, I've been feeling kinda guilty lately for not riding enough. Anyone see the new aerostich catalog? Andy's come up with a new riding-more prod...he's mapped the US according to how many potential rideable days there are in each city/region based on min/max temps., or something close to that. I dunno, he lives in Minnesota, right?

Anyway, there's only ONE* region that gets the rubric of 365 rideable days/year.

And----------it's here.

[​IMG]

:huh

:eek1

gotta ride more...

*....uhhh, in the continental US, that is
  11. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I would hope they'd qualify anything like that with "we got permission" or some such :lol3

You can ride/drive through the park. But as far as I know, there are no off-road tracks (unless you count the turn at hwy 9 as "going off-road" which you might easily do). There are definitely places it feels like two track. Especially with oncoming traffic :eek1
  12. LexTalionis

LexTalionis Inciteful

Oddometer:
    This. I've ridden all the legal roadways in that area with a park ranger (for San Jose) who lives a few miles from the park, and there are no dirt roads legally passable by the public.

Lex
  13. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    i totally want to write them and call them on it. it disheartens me to read such nonsense in something that's supposed to be about the soul of being a motorcyclist. makes me wonder how much of the rest of the writing is similar cruft. :dunno
  14. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You should.
  15. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen the Motorcyclist article, but yesterday I rode just over 4 miles (2+ miles in, and then return) on 100% legal dirt very close to Big Basin. Nothing rugged, but a scenic cruise.

-dman
  16. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't beeen up there in a few years, but there used to be a dirt road, not technical or tough, sounds like what Dman is talking about.

Those writers are very good at sucking you into thinking there are miles and miles of cool dirt roads to ride in a state park.:lol3

We all know that there are only a handful of dirt rides (legal) in the Bay Area.
  17. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:

While I'm not surprised the Bay Area scored highest in number of ridable days per year, I have to question the stats for SJ and SF.

How is SJ 3 days LESS? What, it gets too hot here in the summer? It can get way too foggy in SF...

I ride 365 and I LIVE in SJ. So...nyah! Take that!

Oh and btw, SF SUCKS! :amazon
  18. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I count 2. And I've ridden them both in the last month... :D
  19. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I checked and checked, at least 5 times before I posted that, but knew as soon
    as I used that definitive statement I'd be proven wrong.. Amazing how you only
    see what you look for...

:lol3 :lol3 :lol3

...and lucky you!
  20. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    True that there are no *through* dirt roads open to motor vehicles, but the last mile or so of upper China Grade (up to Johansen Road at the Boy Scout camp sign) and White House Canyon/Creek (accessed from Hwy 1) are both dirt and open to the public (at least to the point where they are each posted closed).

Upper Gazos Creek (up to Sandy Point) is also fun (but it's mostly broken pavement) when it is seasonally open.

None of these are super exciting in themselves, but I like to head up them occasionally for some variety on a larger SC mtns ride.

Big Basin Brochure (map at bottom): http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/540/files/BigBasinRedwoodsFinalWebLayout2013.pdf