Add me to the cracked fuel tank list

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by lepoer, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Danzo

Danzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2013 F700gs with 1600 miles, bought January this year, finally has crack on fuel filler side of tank. Pretty sad this has been a problem for so long.
  2. f800kris

f800kris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike is a little older then the last few mentioned, 2009 f800gs. Its cracked down both sides almost all the way down. Just thought Id throw that out there. Called the dealership, not covered. They said not to worry unless it was just bother me and that no leak should occur.
  3. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Lots cracked but I've not heard of one leaking. It's a clear/white plastic tank with a black plastic covering. If it bothers you then keep an eye out on Ebay as there are usually one or two there. Big job to replace though. :evil

I have a spare 2012 tank hidden away for either of our bikes.
  4. pilesofmiles

pilesofmiles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Learned from the dealer that I bought my F800 ADV from that BMW has addressed this issue by now using a thicker polymer wall on the outer gas tank black exterior shell on the newer 2014 model bikes. I guess time will tell if this is a really been addressed.
  5. fire88dog

fire88dog CaptainStache

Oddometer:
    OK, thought I had done my homework before the purchase... and that motorad had this figured out, apparently not. My 13 has less than 1500 mi. and it is cracked on both sides. I have contacted dealer and they will replace it of course, hope this isn't a regular effing occurrence!!
  6. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    would be funny if the ADV version had that problem too :lol3
  7. SCFoster

SCFoster It is what it is Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ignorance is bliss..... took the bike (2012 F800GS) in for annual service. Happened to park next to a guy and we got to talking. He told me he was having his tank replaced. So, he looks over at mine and says "looks like you have the same issue". :eek1

Dealer confirmed and has replacement tank on order.
  8. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    11,000 miles on my 2012 trophy and no cracks... as others have mentioned, the issue is overwhelmingly specific to US models where ~10% ethanol is the usual in the fuel, but also where the charcoal canister is fitted.

As the EU has approved up to 10% ethanol in fuel recently it will be interesting to see if the problem migrates this way. Fortunately the fuel stations are obligated to clearly mark fuels with ethanol and the majority will either have no ethanol, or have ~5% ethanol on super plus grade (≥98 RON) so it will be easy enough to avoid this.

What's interesting is that BMW have confirmed that all of their bikes are approved to run on up to 10% ethanol.
    With this in mind, and on the assumption that the ethanol content isn't causing the problem (go with me for a minute)... are there any special/unique requirements for the packing/shipping of the bikes in transit to the US which may be causing damage to the tanks on a good number of units - something different from bikes shipped to other countries/continents in the world?

BMW Motorrad official technical FAQ translation:

Technology FAQs
    Fuels
    Please refer to the notes in the operating manual of your vehicle or ask your BMW Motorrad dealer.
    BMW Motorrad riders can soak E10
    For BMW motorcyclists results from the introduction of E10 fuel no change. In all model years of the BMW motorcycle models all use is harmless.

Since January 2011, there are at gas stations, a new type of petrol with the code E10. Under E10 refers to gasoline with up to ten percent bioethanol. With the introduction of the new fuel Germany is implementing a regulation of the European Union, which wants to reduce CO2 emissions and to protecting the climate.

All vehicles of the current BMW Motorrad program, all older models can easily be operated with gasoline, which have up to a ten percent ethanol content (E10). Please note that the recommended or prescribed in the relevant operating manual fuel (eg premium gasoline with 95 RON or Super Plus 98 ROZ) are complied with.

Fuels can painted surfaces and plastic parts affect and damage. We therefore recommend that when refueling proceed very carefully and to prevent splashing of fuel possible. Remove spilled fuel residues immediately and thoroughly as possible. This is especially true for windshields, the cockpit, the motorcycle luggage system, but also for the rider equipment.

In classic motorcycles with carburetors, we have the experience that can corrode after long periods of, for example, over the winter, the float chambers, floats and float needles. This is due to the hygroscopic properties of the proportions of alcohol in the fuel, which bind during long periods of water. Reduced extent this also applies to the currently available fuel with five percent ethanol content (E5). Age, water retention with contaminated fuel in the float chambers can also cause the bike poorly or not start after a longer service life. We therefore recommend especially for the storage of classic cars motorcycles to remove the fuel from the carburetors.
  9. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Funny thing: when I changed my 650GS single for the 8GS I asked my dealer if I could run it with E10 since I had a weird theory that the stalling from my 650GS came from that "bad fuel". He told me I should avoid that E10 "as much as possible". I don't want to find out if that cracked tank thing can happen in europe :eek:)
  10. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    Neither do I and I'm always on the lookout to avoid it. I once drove a Canadian spec Honda Civic from Vancouver to San Diego and back and it went from 600km/tank to 500/km/tank as soon as I started using ethanol 'enhanced' american fuel. I understand these days most fuel in Canada has ethanol in it but back then I think only Husky included it. Ethanol is a false economy and forces people (at least in the EU) who don't want to use it to buy higher grade (more tax and expense) fuel to avoid it.
  11. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have over 20k miles on my f800, almost all of it was 89 octane with 10% ethanol..... guess what? No cracked fuel tank and the engine is still kicking! I do run BMW FI cleaner every erl change or 2500 miles. I am lacking in petro engineering but shy of some issues with some FI components early on and the fact that ethanol fuel per quantity lacks the efficiency and it likes to absorb water it isn't going to bog down a machine that was designed to tolerate it. Or perhaps I have a mystery machine that runs fine with proper servicing? Well I am going to go back to my fermented grain (currently being consumed in heavy quantities by my mouth).... There has to be a petro engineer among us? :puke1
  12. Heifer

Heifer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mine is cracked. I noticed it this morning when I was cleaning the bike. I fill up half the time with 93 octane, so I am not sure if its has to with the fuel or the ethanol. I am not too worried about it, and will have it replaced before the warranty runs out, and if it cracks again, I will caulk it and call it good.
  13. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    Mine has already been replaced (2013 F700), and when I examined the replacement on the parts counter prior to installation, I came to understand why this is an "appearance" problem rather than a performance problem. The black exterior truly is just the carrier of the inner white tank. If the new one cracks, I probably won't do a thing except shake my head and smile at humanity's pervasive stupidity.
  14. kpie

kpie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happened to my 2011 800GS. Didn't do anything about it because I traded it in on something else. Don't know what the dealer/new owner did about it.

Just bought the 2013 model and it turned 400 miles on it today and it is starting the 'crack' in the same place as the 2011 model did. F__%#* this shit! This damn bike hasn't even been broken in yet.

This shit is unacceptable no matter what you pay for a bike but especially when you pay $13k for a motorcycle. My dealer and BMW corporate will be hearing about this as well as my attorney.
  15. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Go for it Ally McBeal!!
  16. Zeke Markham

Zeke Markham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How have they not sorted this out? I just don't understand how this can still be an issue, I know they can do it, my 2010 is on it's 3rd tank, the other 2 had a different part number, this one has lasted over a year and a half versus about 3 months for the others. Did they forget how to make fuel tanks between model years?
  17. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Is it time for a decent survey on what part of the globe is prone to tank cracking? Is it a US thing or is it global. Lets have a tally.

My 11 doesn't have a crack. I never use fuel with ethanol. It is total crap and not to be used in outboards or aero engines ( at least in Oz ) for a reason; unreliable dangerous shit.
  18. Geoffster

Oddometer:
    Ethanol is a poor fuel but has powerful friends in corn producing nations. Lucky for you, your nation ranks 65th in corn production. (Belarus grows nearly three times as many tons as Australia! http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?commodity=corn)

But worry if your sugar cane growers ever get organized--you'll follow Brazil's lead with 25% alcohol.
  19. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see how Ethanol can cause a crack in what essentially is a cover. The contents of the bladder do not come in contact with the black part that is cracking.
  20. Geoffster

Oddometer:
    Some believe that the dribbles that spill out of the tank when trying to fill it 100% lead to the cracks.

I simply don't know. Disturbingly, neither do the engineers at BMW!