CENTEX ADV: Quest for the HOLY SMOKE!

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by ghostrider1964, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    I saw an 03 FJR1300 listed somewhere with 40K +farkles for $4400! That'd get ya there...

.....................I also kno of a (Wee) Strom which might sell in the $2K range.........?
  2. JohnDavid

JohnDavid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah, I'm not really looking right now (just wishing). I love my bike! But an FJR might be in my future.

84 and 116 sounds good to me.
  3. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    No worries. Glad to change my schedule to ride with you again. I vote paved too.

Schizz, let me know if you want to join us and behold the wonder that is the KLR. :lol3
  4. hollywood59tx

hollywood59tx Austintacious

Oddometer:
    Coupla things...

Mueller's BBQ in Taylor, TX...very good brisket if you get the very fatty burnt ends that they give away for free while you're waiting in line. These guys take some liberties with black pepper...jeebus. I wasn't impressed at all with the overall quality. Long ass wait...Black pepper overloaded meat. The only saving grace was the beef rib...very meaty...very good.

Ruby's BBQ in Austin (not RUDY...RUBY) featured in the Austin Chronicle...and on NO RESERVATIONS. I ordered about 15 bucks worth of brisket, ribs, and sides. I couldn't eat any of it. I'll eat some shit...but I literally have had better 'que at Applebees. Dry...over-salty meat accompainied by sides that tasted like spoiled milk. Fuck me I was pissed.

Salt Lick (Driftwood location) is where it's at...followed by Smitty's Market in Lockhart. Still looking for #3...
  5. JohnDavid

Oddometer:
    Good meat meet. Thanks for the route suggestions coming home Mr2!!! I followed them exactly -- very good roads. I took 970 over at the end. Crazy hot out there.
  6. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Yup, good riding with everyone. Home at 4:15.
  7. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    Glad ya enjoyed the ride back home....even in the heat. We'll try to ride more of the stuff I've got listed on the Google map down in the area around Burnet/Lampassas or even further south....Gillespie/Blanco Co when the heat isn't so bad.

Schoepf's BBQ in Belton... I like the pork chops & the chicken most (& the sauce!).My rib was pretty good this time too.The sirloin could have been a bit better(but I have had some very choice cuts before too) The jalepeno sausage was good but I think I prefer the medium overall.

so... Ghost?? Dahveed??? survey says.......
  8. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    I thought the rib by itself was fair to good - maybe a 6, but the sauce really did compliment it well.

The chicken was good, maybe a 7. Once again I thought the sauce was good with the chicken.

The pork chop was very good. An 8. The mild sausage I had of Ghosts was also an 8 - some really nice flavor there.

The venison sausage was a 7. Schoepf's downfall was the beef. Both the brisket and steak I had a sample of were ok. Maybe a 5-6. Ok, now I'm hungry, so I gotta go to lunch. :dg
  9. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    nothing to add.....cept...yes...time ta eat!
  10. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to eat at Smokey J's right there at FM620 and FM2222. I always thought it was pretty good. It's kind of fast food BBQ. Havent eaten there in a while.
  11. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    At the behest of Mr2mch , Johndavid, Dahveed, and myself ventured to Belton in Quest for Holy Smoke....I used to live in Belton so I had eaten there, just not recently ...
    The Entry...[​IMG]
    Dahveed and Johndavid at the meet counter....
    I got my usual sampling of meats plus smoked sirloin...
    [​IMG]
    That with water was $17:eek1 I think Dahveed broke $20 on his lunch...

The ratings::::

RIBS: Ribs were OK but kinda dry and tuff...not the worse...fair flavor..6
    BRISKET: Brisket again was ok, better than what I had at Salt Lick 2 weeks ago.....6
    SAUSAGE: Gonna have 3 ratings cause we had 3 types as Dahveed mentioned: Venison Sausage: pretty good 7
    Medium Sausage: Damn Good 8.5
    Hot Sausage: Was not hot, not seasoned well 5

The sirloin was ok, not something I would get again... I would definetly eat the medium sausage again:evil OK place to stop passing through....
  12. ssdan

ssdan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW owners pricing only..:lol3

y'all need to spend less on food and more on a camera.:huh
  13. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Yeah...All I had was my Blackberry and it has not been working too great since I went swimming with it on CR4185:deal I am surprised it works at all...Did not want to do insurance cause my plan is out in October and I am planning on getting a Droid phone:evil

Hey Dan...No fake fries just Tater Salad and it was good:1drink
  14. ssdan

ssdan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like Shoefs, but I get the Awesome Chicken and a Pork Chop, maybe a piece of Steak, the wifey digs the Cheesy Taterz and JalapeƱo Cornbread. Good slaw too.

We went to the Bunkhouse in Clifton Sat. and it was damned good, More Brisket than I could eat, thick sliced, good Smokey flavor and just fell apart, really didn't need sauce but it was a good compliment. The wifey had Ham and Brisket and we got out for $19 for both, the beans sucked though.
  15. JohnDavid

Oddometer:

:rofl

I really really enjoyed Schoepf's... this thread makes me hungry.
  16. JohnDavid

Oddometer:
    Gentleman, we have lots of riding to do. Here is a few of the good BBQ joints in Texas.

Let's start marking em off one by one.
  17. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    I'm in, but not this weekend.

Its mostly about the ride and the company. In reality the food is kinda secondary...
  18. pancake

pancake Better with bacon!

Oddometer:
    How did they miss Texas Pit BBQ in Saginaw? Then again, maybe I have much to learn about the art of BBQ.
  19. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    These Man Up guys are based in Austin and they freely admit that their site is biased to the Austin area.

Here is the D Magazine Article that ranks the DFW area places. Texas Pit is there.
  20. pancake

pancake Better with bacon!

Oddometer:
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! Thanks for the link!