NC-Tag-A-Rama camp out

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by lostmarbles, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    Well I'm going to have to relegate myself to a "maybe" at this point pending being in the state. Looks like I'm going back to work -> in western Kentucky. It's a pretty good chance I'm going so don't count on my participation from here on out for this one.
  2. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Unacceptable! Work is no excuse!

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
  3. JoeWannaB

JoeWannaB Usually a nice guy

Oddometer:
    For me, being able to drink a beer or two around the campfire after a long days ride would be nice ... But, It's not a deal breaker for me. I think being able to hang out together and swap lies is more important. Just my .02
  4. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    If the sign says alcohol allowed, then it is allowed.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
  5. Chad_NC

Chad_NC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alcohol or not makes no difference to me. Hanging out and shooting the breeze is what it's all about. Now seeing some drunks make fools of themselves, that's just a bonus:deal
  6. lostmarbles

lostmarbles Long timer

Oddometer:
    would any one on here like to go riding tomorrow maybe some where north west :ear
  7. truck6driver

truck6driver Proud Navy dad!

Oddometer:

Like to.....Yes. Can I ....NO I am working as usual.

Have a good ride.

Ray
  8. luni

luni Non-artic explorer

Oddometer:
    Not for sure where I'll be when in September but if I'm around I'll show up.
  9. lostmarbles

lostmarbles Long timer

Oddometer:
    i was hoping you ride that new bike down:evil
  10. Flashback

Oddometer:
    Uwharrie Alcohol Policy Clarification - finally an answer that explains it all.

West Morris is Alcohol Friendly!

Most all of our campgrounds are closed to alcohol. The general forest area is not. So if you disperse camp you can have alcohol as long as you are not riding the trails or camping right on the trails. OHV trails are closed to alcohol and it is illegal to drink and drive even in the Forest. We do have one campground that is not closed to alcohol, and that is West Morris. It is a basic campground with pit toilet, no water. Each Forest in NC has their own policies but for the most part the general forest area is open to alcohol. As for policy, what I can send you is the Forest Closure Order for the campgrounds.

Deborah Walker, District Ranger
    Uwharrie National Forest
    789 Highway 24/27 East
    Troy, NC 27371
    910-576-6391 ext 100
    910-576-4171 fax
  11. luni

luni Non-artic explorer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for any excuse to take the new bike out. One day my commute got 40 miles longer on the way home. It was partly cloudy, traffic broke up, and I just seemed to miss my turn and keep going. One the way home from Garner last weekend I missed a turn (on accident this time) and spent an hour wandering around back roads until I got found again, wasn't to upset.

I need to get on some more dirt roads. I'm being nice to the new bike but I'm pretty sure there's something illegal or immoral about keeping a super tenere off the dirt. On the way to work I took the short cut down a gravel road, standing up on the pegs in 3rd gear just comfy cruising, leaning through corners and dodging around particularly big pot holes, a quick speedo check had me leisurely rolling along in the 60s. I love this bike. Everyone should have one.
  12. Flashback

Oddometer:
    Just remember the weight...it's SUPER heavy (weighing in at 40lbs more than the 1200GS stock), not to mention adding even more weight with bags and other accessories on it. And while it may ride like a lighter bike, it'll crash like a bike that weighs as much as it does if you are ever unlucky enough to crash it....

...the problem with those big bikes that ride like little bikes is that you can very quickly find that you've taken the bike beyond its limits without meaning to. A flick of the wrist and you are out of control with no way to reel the bike back in.

As much as it looks like a Dakar winning bike, you still have to keep in mind that it isn't one. The production version has a measly tiny wee bit of suspension travel that IS known for bottoming out at the smallest truly airborne moment. Bottom out too much on a heavy bike and you end up with very expensive damage to the frame that is not covered by a warranty.The Super T is set up to tour with, not to tear up the dirt.

But 'm pretty sure that I'd really like riding the super tenere too. Looks like a seriously fun bike. Your enthusiasm for it takes me back to memories of the first few weeks of owning my F800

:D
  13. JoeWannaB

JoeWannaB Usually a nice guy

Oddometer:
    Thanks FB for the diligence to decipher our cryptic FS alcohol policy. So it looks like West Morris will get the nod and we'll be able to have some lubrication for our lies. :lol3
  14. luni

luni Non-artic explorer

Oddometer:
    A lot of great advice in that post. Guys have been riding the crap out of the S-10s and they've been taking it pretty well. But it's parked in the garage right next to a DRZ with tuned suspension, dirt wheels, and knobby tires. Both bikes have their lane. The S-10 is the comfortable adventure touring bike and just cause I can lug it in first gear down single track doesn't mean I'm going to. I've seen lots of guys off roading their Tenere like an enduro bike and I just don't get it. For the price of engine guards and side cases you can get a beater 250 and ride it til it explodes.
  15. Chad_NC

Chad_NC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of those forest roads at Uhwarrie are itching to see a Super Tenure. I think I might even be able to ride my Vee on some or all the forest roads. NONE of the OHVtrails will see the tires of my Vee:rofl
  16. lostmarbles

lostmarbles Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks like West Morris it is then

i will be doing trail riding myself and would be happy to be the tour guid for the OHV trails would any one like to step fowerd and be the tour guid for are local road :deal
  17. Chad_NC

Chad_NC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't you volunteer Fish for that job LM? I think he's the guy for that job or we can just wing it to see if we can find our way back from wherever to the camp:deal
  18. FishHunt

FishHunt slow poking...

Oddometer:
    Unless my work schedule changes (I may be switching shifts @ work) I can lead a pavement ride on Saturday. There are a lot of good back roads in the area and up and down the local lakes.

<>< Fish
  19. lostmarbles

lostmarbles Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks fishunt :D

ok if you thank your going to make this event post up and i'll make
    a in list
  20. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Now what weekend did we pick?