Short on Time and Wondering Should I buy a 2004 KTM Adventure S GO!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Crop Duster, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Crop Duster

Crop Duster That's what she said

Oddometer:
    Winter-Rocky Mountains, Summer-Spraying the Crops
    The original owner road the bike down Baja to Cabo. I think that's when the 19 was put on. As far as which one is better, that's out of my realm. The person who owns it now hasn't ridden it very much and it's not really the bike he's looking for. He has an XR650 that he rides in the dirt and a street bike. It doesn't sound like he knows much about it since it was his friends and that's the person who put the majority of the miles on it.
  2. John_L

John_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my experience with the bike in those photos.

It has been for sale for a long time. I spent like a month of emailing and such never lead to any returns messages. Then one day out of the blue I got the photos you posted of the bike with no description. I emailed back and got a return email back from someone else at a title company who I called and she knew nothing about it. She talked to the original name of the person who emailed me. About two hours later I got a phone call from someone (not the one that emailed me the photos) claiming to be the owner. Talked to him for awhile but I couldn't ever seem to get any info out of the owner and the two times I talked to him on the phone I got several "Um...I think...". Last time I talked to the person claiming to be the owner was about 3 and a half weeks ago.

Good luck on it whatever you decide but make sure it is legit. I didn't risk it.
  3. KBach

KBach Adventurer

Oddometer:

Interesting.
    I've looked at this bike online a few times and thought about contacting the seller for more info but never did. I guess now, knowing some of this background here, I'm glad I didn't. Just doesn't sound right...
  4. Crop Duster

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think I'll hold off. If I were at the bike with the seller it may be different but I would have to give a deposit on the bike sight unseen and then pick it up from a third party (not the seller). He said he was going to list it here so maybe someone else can jump on it that's closer to the bike.

On a side note he said his friend is the original owner but my KTM dealer has a different name than his friends as being the original owner.
  5. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Yikes. Hard to believe you guys are talking about the same bike. Sounds sketch to me.
  6. John_L

John_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I would have been local to him it might have been a different outcome, but something just didn't seem right about it so being long distance I passed.

A local buyer might get a hell of a deal.
  7. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I have same year bike and love it. I'm always a big advocate of buying preowned with the right conditions. And unfortunately... this bike is NOT! It could very well have eaten a clutch basket bolt and has been pawned off a couple times. Of course in the right originally well kept owner's hands this is a great analog version of the LC8 Adventure: Carbs without in tank fuel filters, no ABS.

Take your time and don't rush on a bad choice...

Better yet, look in the flea market for inmate Narcisco Lopez's bike. That's a rare choice one!
  8. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it me or does it look to good to be true?
  9. beergut

beergut Thumper

Oddometer:
    I wonder if hes flying to Nigeria
  10. GrenDesb

GrenDesb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is this bike listed?
  11. crazybrit

Oddometer:
  12. Crop Duster

Oddometer:
    The bike is listed in L.A. craigslist.

If anyone wants to look at it for me and ride it to Colorado let me know.
  13. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just sent a PM regarding Lopez's bike and where it is for sale........:D
  14. CoFloW

CoFloW Pray For Snow.

Oddometer:
    Smells Like my X's underwear!!!! FiShY!!!:puke1
  15. Mambat

Mambat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

I have been trolling here for years all the way from Cape Town South Africa.
    Sad to have to post to warn somebody of a potential scam!

The same scam is happening all the time here on AutoTrader/ Gumtree.
    Seller is far away, 3rd party is involved and an upfront deposit is required to secure.
    The deal also looks to good to be true..........usually always is!
    Google and you will find many hits with the same scam warnings on Craiglist etc.

Cheers

Mambat
  16. KBach

KBach Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd add a little more to this.
    Curiosity got a hold of me Friday so I emailed for more info since I was still interested in the bike.

I got a pretty quick reply that the guy had traded a buddy for a Raptor 700 ATV about a month ago and that's why he had it. Not sure how true the timeline is since somebody else mentioned it being for sale for quite a while. The guy had a clean title but the reg wasn't current. He sent the VIN so I called DMV to see what kind of $$ was owed on it and see if the title came back clean or with a lien holder. Turns out it hadn't been registered since 2008 and had over $800 in fees/penalties. I was still considering going to look at it and offering even less than Tyluk had worked out with the guy but ended up sucking it up and buying a 2008 990 from another inmate on here since I really wantd the FI and figured I'd just end up selling the 950 for a 990 down the road.

Anyway, just a heads up in case somebody is still thinking about the bike. Seems like it could be a good deal if you can use the back fees as some more bargaining power and then get around paying them by either registering it out of state or something.
  17. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    CA charges fees even if you stop registering? That sucks. In OR they just charge you starting in the renewal month but no back year.

The sellers story sounds real fishy to me plus there seems to be several different stories.