Summer of BC and Yukon

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 0zenon0, Jun 15, 2013.

1. 0zenon0

0zenon0 n00b

Oddometer:
    For the first time in about twenty years I find myself with no job, no responsibilities, and a small dual sport bike. I knew I wanted to go on a trip somewhere this summer but wasn't sure where at first. Originally I thought a trip across NA would be great. But then I realised I have actually seen very little of BC off of the major highways and even less of the Yukon. So I am doing a long slow tour of BC and Yukon and hope to see as much of them as I can. The bike I have is a 250 Kawasaki Sherpa which I inherited from my dad. I have ridden this bike lots before and although its definitely less than ideal on the highways, its great on dirt roads and offroad.

I am currently on my way up from Prince George to Dawson City where I will attend D2D. After that I hope to spend about 4-6 weeks in the Yukon/Northern BC doing all the must ride routes (Dempster, Top of the World highway, etc). But I also hope to do a lot of wilderness hiking, fishing, etc in the great parks up there. If I am lucky I might even get some canoeing in. I want to ride the bike only once every two or three days if I can.

After that I plan to spend August doing a loop through south eastern BC (Kootenays, Okanagan, and then another one through southwestern BC (Chilctoen, Vancouver Island, etc) for September. I know there are lots of music festivals in BC in the summer and I will be hitting up some of them hopefully.Depending on my commitments at the time I might continue down into the US toward California in the fall.

About Me. I grew up here in Prince George where I rode lots of dirt bikes as a kid. But I didn't get my license till I moved to London, UK and got myself a V-strom 650 which I used for commuting a little, but mostly for touring Europe on 2-3 week trips. That's where I get the touring bug. Europe has such a great highway network that motorbiking is a great way to see it without the congestion of their airports, train stations, etc

About my Bike. Its a 2005 Kawasaki Sherpa with about 40K miles on it. The guy We bought it from had just returned from a trip to Argentina on it. I still have the custom rack he made. I am a pretty big guy and struggle to cruise at anything over 100 Km/h on the highway but I am not a sped demon so its fine for me. Its great on the forestry roads which are everywhere here in northern BC. Its range is only about 240K so needless to say I will be carrying some extra fuel with me. Here is a picture of it taken last weekend on my trial run to Monkman park (IMHO BC's most under rated park)

[​IMG]
    I have been lurking on this site for years and have drawn inspiration from a lot of it. Crooked Creek's RRs about his trips through northern BC on his 250 have been great. And some of the Super Sherpa threads like this one have really pushed the limits of what I thought I could do on a small bike.

I know there are lots of inmates spread out around BC. I would love to meet up with you guys where ever I can to show me the local riding areas. I am also making the most of the tent space thread. As the summer goes my schedule will be more pinned down. I will be updating this as regularly as I can from my smartphone. Hope you guys enjoy it and definitely hope to meet some of you along the way.

Nick
  2. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
    This looks like a very unique idea and I hope you have a blast doing other things besides just riding everyday. That country is totally beautiful and you might as well take you time and enjoy it. Good luck and safe travels....

Gary "Oldone" :gerg

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
    Grampa’s National Monument Ride
  3. Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pic at Monkman :clap. Where are you at now?
  4. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have a great little bike, have an awesome journey! :ricky

Cheers,
  5. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
    Subscribed.

I used to live in good old smokey PG. My dad still lives there and is a schoolteacher. I lived in the yukon for 16 years as well - ask me anything lol. And I'm intrigued because I just got rid of my 2009 sherpa and replaced it with a KLR. The sherpa is a good bike, I just started to focus on the limitations to the point where I overlooked it's abilities...in a way I am regretful, but I do love my new bike.
  6. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  8. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We may have an adult beverage with your name on it. Definitely a bed, laundry facilities and Wifi.
    Cheers, have a safe ride,
    S.
  9. Tropic-Of-Canada

Tropic-Of-Canada Guru of Shoe Goo

Oddometer:
    Another Islander here, I ride a DRZ400, so anywhere I can get, you can get, that being said, you've got a guide for at least the bottom half of Vancouver Island! :D There is a lot to see out there, I know lots of good backwoods camping/fishing spots, if that's your thing.

I lived in PG for 6 years, I'd love to hear about some spots up there: didn't have a bike back then!
  10. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
    I know a way to get from College heights to north nechako off road...at least that was 20 years ago, probably a home depot/walmart/chapters development in the way now.
  11. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    I'm really looking forward to your updates. I hope you get the opportunity for some canoeing/kayaking in the Peel River watershed; I'd especially love to hear about that.
  12. chris73

chris73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also from prince George now living in Victoria. I've been loving the sooke hills on the 800gs... Would love to ride around the gang ranch, pop out and take the blackwater to Fraser lake, then cruise around the lakes district and 37 up to the Yukon. Keep us posted. Tropic, if you're ever in need a ride along, I would be interested. I have to keep the B trails to a minimum, but lots a C mixed with some B is always a blast. I work 6 on 6 off, so I have a lot of riding time there.
  13. RevyRider

RevyRider FXD Traveler

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an interesting way to spend the summer, ..I will definitely be checking in on your progress. Have a great trip and adventure.
  14. Tropic-Of-Canada

Tropic-Of-Canada Guru of Shoe Goo

Oddometer:
    So? How'd summer go? Made it up to Inuvik and back myself, I want to hear someone elses take on the far north!
  15. hoebster

hoebster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Geez, one page then nadda! Hope a bear didn't eat him for snack-time.