Ever weighed your packed gear??

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by bigphish, Jun 8, 2013.

1. bigphish

bigphish Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer:
    Wandering WNC and sometimes in Costa Rica
    Anyone weigh their packed gear before departing on a trip?? I am leaving for a month and just weighed Nelsen Riggg CL 850's 17lb left side 18 lb right side. Moto Fizz medium 21lb and Bags Connection speedpack ( no sides ) 24lb
  2. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lawyers and guns are worthless. All you need is money.
  3. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I did mostly to equal out my panniers weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    NO!! ignorance is bliss!
  5. bigphish

bigphish Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer:
    Wandering WNC and sometimes in Costa Rica
    Yeah kind of scared me too!! LOL
    But considering about 15lbs are the weight of the bags and Kermit chair and laptop make up another 10 I think I am doing well with 55 lbs of gear for a month long excursion in full camping mode
  6. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Yer not going far enough... :rofl

The truly annal weigh each thing before packing and select the lightest for the job ..

e.g. for one pair of jeans you can have two zip off pants made out of capiline and a thermal... and they dry quicker after washing.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    panniers and gear= 80 pounds........70 days...13,000 miles
  8. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    What you wash:eek1
  9. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just under 80 lbs. I'll do better next time.
  10. The Chief (tm)

The Chief (tm) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No -- would be terrified to know how badly I'm overloading the poor thing... :eek1
  11. revitup

revitup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2011, GSA, 23-25Lbs in each side pannier, 23 Lbs in dry bag way forward and compressed with two ratchet straps.
  12. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    50 pounds including the bags; tent camping Alaska/North America trip 25000 miles 5 months, DR650.

When my tent zipper failed and I had to replace the tent, my weight gained about 3 pounds. I had 15 pounds in each wolfman bag and 20 in my top bag (namely due to my laptop which I wont bring next time) when I left. I plan to cut 10-15 pounds off for South America if/when that happens.
  13. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weight adds up fast, especially if you camp. I didn't really notice until I ran into Air Asia luggage limits.
  14. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I admit I always carry too much stuff with me on a bike...

And sorry if this doesn´t stay fully on topic... but I´ve got a friend, an old Finnish guy, who has done an incredible amount of mc-travel, all around the world (made a RTW-tour in the Seventies) but especially in Asia and Australia in the last 40 years. I did a few rides with him in Asia, as he was our tour guide in 2005-2007, and I saw how he´s really made an art of “packing light”. A big thumper, like a DR650, is his choice of bike, and a very very small backpack, not much bigger than a laptop bag, strapped to the back seat is really everything, that he has with him (plus the stuff that he is wearing). He wears clogs, for example, as his riding shoes AND his leisure shoes, so one pair of clogs is all that he´s got while travelling... (a warm climate does help here, if he went riding in Europe, I think he would have to get something more suitable for that!)

He told a funny story, how in the end of 80´s, or early 90´s, he once met a German biker in southern Thailand. At that time, it was so rare to see any big bikes there, that when they came across each other on the road, they stopped for a chat. The German had freighted his bike to Bangkok just a couple of days ago, and was now riding around Thailand, and he had every imaginable bit of luggage and riding gear, he was even carrying extra cans of fuel “because he was not sure, if it´s always available in Thailand”... and the guy was clearly in discomfort wearing too thick gear for the hot and humid climate.

So after a while, the German had asked my friend, where is he coming from, and seeing that my friend wore a t-shirt, shorts, clogs and motocross helmet, he clearly assumed, that my friend is probably on his way to a local foodstore or something. But he was actually returning from a 15000-kilometer trip to Malaysia, Indonesia and Australia, that had taken several months. He said the German guy was really having an extremely tough time to believe it...

(of course this is an extreme example, clogs are not perfect for riding unless you are this guy, and he´s paid the price of not wearing ATGATT a few times as well, as he´s had some pretty bad crashes sometimes.. but my point is: think very hard, what you REALLY need to have with you, and leave the rest home – also do not pack on the last minute before you set off, because then you will have unnecessary stuff with you!)
  15. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weighing my gear would be like weighing myself........ I don't want to know
  16. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    21 days 7600mi, camped, 85lbs + 1gl of gas, took a bit too much crap, but used most of the stuff, I'll trim it down next time.
  17. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I could say 75-80 lbs but it is not the true number. You need to add the weight of the luggage (and rack), the tank bag, the handlebar ditty bag, the tool tube, the extra duffel, etc.

Mine comes to about 125 lbs for extended trips. Full camping and cooking gear plus cold weather gear.

My luggage was 26 lbs each, 24 on top box.
  18. CTDan

CTDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were done with the camping portion of our trip, so I Fed-Ex'd my tent and other camping stuff home...
    Just under 25lbs for that stuff alone.
  19. Motopapillon

Motopapillon Eppur si muove

Oddometer:
    I weighed my gear before a two-month trip some years back: I had about 70 lbs in a big Moto Fizz and two panniers, and didn't bother adding in the couple of pounds of clutter in the tank bag. It was more than I thought it would be, but less than I was afraid it could be, and in the event virtually disapppeared at speed. When picking my way through rough stuff, or manoevring in parking lots, I was more deliberately mindful than I sometimes am.

I haven't weighed my gear since. I don't want to know, and I don't think I need to know, and the number depends on so many variables. The number swells when I have to pack three days' food and water, and shrinks when I reach summertime and can send the cold weather gear home. ( But never send back the last pair of thermal underwear!) So shooting for a specific weight is arbitrary.

I think also that volume counts for at least as much as pounds: too much sail can make the bike hard to control. And where the pounds go matters: the heavy stuff should get stowed low and between the axles

The last few trips I just throw on what I think I'll need, rope it on securely, and roll down the driveway. Seems to work as well as overthinking it.
  20. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely an extreme example... and one that isn't possible for many of us, just given weather constraints. Plus, given that his pack was the size of a small laptop case, I can only assume that he's hoteling it. You simply can't compare packing a bike for hoteling with camping. Over half of what I pack is camping gear. If I were hoteling it each night, my pack would be very small. Granted, I realize this thread isn't just about packing for a camping trip, just figured I'd comment on that.

There was a douchebag that posted a picture in the motorcycle camping picture thread a few months back. He said that most of us packed way too heavy and then showed a picture of his bike with only a tiny tail bag on the back. As it turns out, he was on a short trip where he was only hoteling it. :lol3