Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sjoerd's Route

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Compelling stuff...
  3. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    More interesting than Rosetta Stone, unless you're into "the car is red" over and over
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    ..... and for Nueva Alemania location draw a line verticaly through the stem and the dot of the lettir " i " in the red" Mexico" then intersect it with a horizontal line drawn west out of the red dot for Volcan Tacana . Neat pavement route all the way to Nva A. ... and beyond to Motozintla it is ??? but a bazillion curves on the map. Having done the DGO to MAZ rally this should be easy for you Trice.:lol3
    ( the dot for Cacahoatan is actually in the wrong spot, it should be almost touching the Mex200 marker , very close to the Talisman border crossing, picky picky , picky ... and Union Juarez is only meters from the GT border., but,hey, close enough =) )
  5. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    As you can see, the dots are all in front of the applicable town names

They are not there to point out the precise location of the town

The addition of both maps to your post helps visualize where things are in the grand scheme of things
  6. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Jajajaaa...I'm using this in my Spanish classes. We'll do a contrastive analysis of the female vs male interior dialogue...ought to kill a good hour.
  7. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
  8. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm borrowing the diaro photo for facebook. LMAO! :D
  9. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Just renewed my

[​IMG]

I also wrote some of their latest advertising slogans:

"Don't be flown home without it"™

"You breaka da bone, we fly your ass home"™

"Our flight nurses are hotter that Chiapas in July"™
  10. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know, Chiapas is also wet in July.
    The "mad men" will have a field day.
    Don't sell the steak, sell the sizzle...and drizzle.
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I see what you did there!
  12. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Here it is folks, the brand new, full-on video from the June 2013 ATV Ruta Durango - Mazatlán, just finished and published :freaky

If you watch this, you'll get a perfect sense of what it'll be like when you come down in June 2014 and do it yourself.

I look pretty blown out at the El Cid finish line hotel at the end of the video. At that point, I was about as exhausted as I've ever been, but feeling the high from having done it.

Really, come and do this. It can be brutal, but it's quite the party too at the beginning and the end :1drink

If you love Mexico and like dirt, this event is for you :deal

"Go Full Screen" and turn the volume up

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fEAJcknk5DU?list=UUAAhJetGHnQNO2lAToHtf_Q" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  14. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Got lucky today when my FD seal let loose a few miles from LSBMW while getting the street shoes put on at TJ's. Was able to limp real slow to the shop where the work is still covered under warranty. Would've been a different story had I been farther from the shop. Like, say, Mexico next week. :eek1 Hoo Boy, dodged one there. :knary

Probably lucky to get 31k outta the seal running at the speeds we do. Will be packing a replacement seal kit when the new bike gets here. Robert K still says January. Can't wait. First black one's mine.
  15. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Schizz,
    Glad you didn't have it crap on you somewhere in the sticks !
    I still see no logical reason for these FD seal failures.
  16. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Especially with as few washings as my bike has seen. :D
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  18. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Hey Schizz, thats a bummer, did it let go in one big dump, or just start weeping?
    glad it was warranty work...:deal

I know what you mean about the washing, I thought the crud helped to keep the seal in place, my bike has never seen a
    presser washer..:lol3
  19. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see reasons for those final drive seal failures. Single sided swing arm and bevel gear drive was just "one bridge too far" to assure longevity or simple fixes.
    Too many functions compounded into a single design puts excess stress on those things and the resulting layer cake means it will take lots of skill, time and money to
    repair. It is only a mechanical failure , not the end of the world , but I expected better of BMW . Would car owners put up with such things failing commonly?
    Here is how I fared with a similar failure. Might have been related to a hard landing when a dip in the road to a small town in Nicaragua suddenly appeared !
    In 2010 while on my Gs 1100 the thing gave out shortly after crossing from Florido Copan into Guatemala. It'll was lucky in that I quickly found a parking spot for it at a restaurant and it was only a 30km bus ride to Chiquimula for the night. Next morning , Sunday , it was easily arranged with a fletero to get the bike to the hotel and Monday another fletero was paid $80 to haul bike and me to Guatemala City and the main BMW service point . They immediately put the bike into the hands of techs and it was done next day .
    Cost was really low compared to Anglo American rates, around $200 for labour AND parts. It was a great emergency fix , but later that year , unrelated, the tranny oil
    showed chewed up pieces of a shim washer so I parked it and got the V Strom. I have a replacement tranny I still have to put in and now the back wheel shows too much slop so I will look for a good FD unit.
  20. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sjoerd,
    That was actually my point about FD failures. Of course, BMW engineers know how to do a better design. The question is; why don't they. Why do they insist on taking a relatively simple function and then putting theit own spin on it, so that it is overly complex and thus prone to either failure or problems. For what its worth, I have never experienced a FD failure in any of the thirty or so cars I have owned. Motorcycle riders should expect the same reliability.