Question for the KLR owners

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by bdcorrigan, Feb 10, 2013.

1. bdcorrigan

bdcorrigan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I'd offer $2750. Good price for an A KLR, which in my opinion is THE KLR. If yo can verify the farkles, it's a nice deal.

Not many miles at all, if it's been taken care of.
  3. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last year for Japanese built KLR's was 2000,,after that, they moved the operations.
    The mileage is nothing on this bike,and generally, don't worry about mileage on any well maintained KLR,, price seems just a bit high to me, but knock 500 off the asking,,and it looks sweet.
    If the mileage thing concerns you,, be aware that the Schnitz racing 685 piston kit and upgrade can be done very cheaply,,so you can buy an older high mileage KLR, drop a few hunnert for the kit and machine work, and have a better working platform to begin the next 60,000 miles of use and abuse.
  4. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude,,why don't you just take mine for a ride,, or the one that TBlume has, and decide if that's what you really want/need. ave you spent any time on a KLR?

how tall, and how hefty are you?
    got long legs?

if not,, a better bike than the KLR is the DR650 for normal sized people.
    reliability is on par,, performance is a step or two better, you will reduce your carrying capacity. but has better suspension, braking, and shifting.
    When I was in the gooey mud on my 12GS,,I've wished I was on the KLR in some instances,, but,, I wished I had the KLX 250 instead of the KLR in other (like snow) episodes.
    what you want from the bike is paramount,,if you can fit on one,,ride the Suziku on the same day youe test the klllr,,just my two scents,
  5. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
    If you'd like to ride a KLR and a DR back to back I have both- just sayin...:evil

That sounds like a good deal though- if you've ridden the KLR you know the weak points, but the basic platform is well supported in the aftermarket (procycle for starters) as is the later DR

Search is your friend- the "what's better: KLR/DR/XRL?" threads are multiple.
  6. linkweewee

linkweewee momento mori

Oddometer:
  7. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
  8. linkweewee

linkweewee momento mori

Oddometer:
  9. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I like the gen. one KLR's, really I do.

But for $3000+, you are so close to being able to score a gen. two.

Friend of mine traded his 2009 in last fall, I think they gave him $3,300- I would check around or make a lower offer.

Take those guys up on some test drives as well. They have wisdom!

If you hold out for a 2nd gen KLR, get a 2009 or newer.
  10. bdcorrigan

Oddometer:
    I have spent a few hours riding one and really enjoyed it. I am 5'10" 260lbs so the Xl600 I have now is a little small for me especially on the longer rides. I spend most of my time on the pavement but hit up a gravel/logging road now and then.
  11. Sliverpicker

Sliverpicker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are headed for the KLR. They will run for ever and take a beating. Personally I like the Gen 1 models due to the parts availability and they look more like a motorcycle and not like one of those new scooters. ----- 99% of the time the local Napa store will get you back on the road if you are broke down somewhere out in the middle of a corn field.

The deal on the red one looks good to me if the price was about 700 less. Add some goodies and ride it--ride it--ride it ! The KLR is like a Mule----Get to know it and they will pack what ever you can put on them and not complain !
  12. bdcorrigan

Oddometer:
    So what is wrong with the 2008 models
  13. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    08+ are more street oriented vs the 2007 and older. They have more plusses though. Better forks, better lights, better stator, bigger fairing for wind protection (also a negative when offroad), arguable better performance when stock, updated doo-hicky and a few more things.

If you want it for a more road/gravel oriented adventures they are just fine. You don't want to make a habit of dropping them with all that extra plastic up there.

If your adventures will have more jeep tracks, and off-road adventuring then the 07 or older are better suited. If for no other reason then they are more crashable. Personally I'd get as close to 07 you can get if you want the more dirty version KLR, otherwise the 09's and on are just fine.

Some of the 08's are oil burners due to some crappy rings. Can be fixed, can also take it to a 705cc and really up the game.

Disclaimer...my 2009
    [​IMG]
  14. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMHO, $3500 is a little steep for that year, but only 13,000 miles and it's a nice one... Hmmm. I'd buy it, but I'd probably see if I could get the price to $3000 (or $2750). Looks like it's in great shape and largely pre-farkled.

1911fan
  15. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did that exact same transition, and I even lived about where you live at the time.
    I recommend that you skip the KLR and go straight to the V-Strom or something like it, and keep the XL600 for the dirty roads. I was disappointed with the KLR from minute one, and it's taken me four years to get around to dealing with it.

You know what, I take all that back. KLRs are awesome, you should buy mine :deal
  16. Squishy

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Hi Dan.
  17. Squishy

Oddometer:
  18. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    Bought my faded red '06 with 11K miles, new tires, for $2K in Nov 2011. It none of the other farkles on that '07 above

It looks about like this today:

[​IMG]

Last summer

[​IMG]
  19. bdcorrigan

Oddometer:
    What is it with everyone wanting $3300 to $3500 for these bikes. From the sounds of it here and on klr650.net $2700 is about the highest everyone said they would pay for one.
  20. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Seems like I see a lot more deals in other parts of the country. Seems like we aren't in the cheapest bike market when you look at the entire US. But, at least we don't have salt...yet. It's also easy to tell the neglected bikes over here...they're the ones with moss growing on the forks.

Keep track of the ones that sold and condition that they were in and miles. Get your finances and truck ready for an instant reaction to a good deal, and the right one will come along. Miles and condition are the main things I look for in a used bike. Used is fine...it's good in fact, abused is bad...and never a good deal.