RTW on a thumper... Round the World ADVenturization

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Jul 18, 2012.

1. IRIDE56

IRIDE56 Mike

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply.
    AS some one that has been in the medical field for a long time what you say sinks in...
    And you are the second person that has given Klim high marks..
    Almost all the pants I have reviewed on Klim have had bad remarks in high heat and humidity
    which one do to wear???
    and any thing past Mexico the paper maps are a bitch to track down,,,
    Thanks
    Mike

2. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could try these people in London: http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Countries/

You'll see a search by destination button on their website - don't use it, all the links on that page are incorrectly written - just use the link above to keep things simple.
  3. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try these guys: http://www.itmb.ca/ Their stuff is available on Amazon, or at Barnes & Noble.
  4. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Gore-tex gear works better in COLD than in heat. And don't forget doing S. America means just as much COLD as heat. Once you're up in the Andes of Ecuador, Peru', Bolivia and Patagonia ... it's cold, rainy windy.

So you need gear to cover both situations.
    In heat I wear dirt riding gear with my own elbow, knee, and back protector.
    My jacket has armor removed, I just wear it OVER my armor ... and in heat strap it back of bike. Simply, cheap rain gear adds extra warmth over any decent riding jacket.
    I wear leathers in cold. I carry both. The dirt pants pack down to nothing and leathers are good up to about 85F.

Honestly guys ... you really don't need a $1250 made in China Klim jacket.
    Sure, they are well made and designed. But there's much more to it ... it's really a simple issue.
  5. Dracula

Dracula Fat Griso & The Ape Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Goretex REV'IT! Everest GTX Jacket stayed at home for my Alaska trip. Too hot when when is hot and not enough warmth due to it's breath-ability when really cold. And I had plenty of both extremes with 40F in Alaska and 125F coming back in July last year.

Totally agree, all in one suit compromises don't work for me in extremes of heat or cold.
    Just used the REV'IT! Sand which works well in hot weather, supplementing with layers and a Motoport rain suit on really cold and or rainy days.
    For all in one, my 10 year old Roadcrafter still rocks, but has it's limitations. At least they custom make them to your size and you can get it repaired for many years since the company stands behind their product.
  6. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:

must be that sign of dementia,:deal Thanks enjoying the the places you showing and taking the good with the bad.
  7. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on this for paper maps, they are usually the most up to date out there, but buy them in the states, difficult to find once you are south of the border... and if you use GPS get your maps from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ they are free and updated a lot
  8. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    true but if you are on the road for very long periods you just have to deal with it, or end up looking like a pack mule

this is so true, in the 80's and 90's i did long trips 15,000 miles plus wearing jeans and a leather jacket, and carrying fishermans waterproofs...don't let the budget of riding gear stop the overall objective 'THE TRIP' get what you can afford and go, it'll all work in the end
  9. Dracula

Oddometer:
    You are absolutely right and it's a PITA to deal with :deal

Proof of my own lack of packing skills. I hope next trip I'll be wiser.:rofl

[​IMG]
  10. sturmgewehr

sturmgewehr Adventurer

Oddometer:

Had I been following along, you could have crashed at my place, I live 1/2 mile from Garmin! Enjoying the report.
  11. daveburton

daveburton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul,

Hope all going well with yourself.

Thanks for the maps advice, I'm about to try and download some to see how they work.

Do you have a thread that covers the bike. With that kind of mileage it would be great to see what you did and why and what you thought was nice to have together with what you considered essential. A lot of people are using the Rotax based bikes for difficult terrain whilst others are choosing the KLR. The 660 seems to be the other option as it has injection and more power than the KLR and a bit more than the Rotax I think.

Would you use the same again.

cheers dave
  12. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    thats for the belated offer, if i am close to you again i'll contact you so we can have a drink :freaky
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    slowly getting things done here...

do smaller selections of the maps and save them as unique files (for example don't do the whole of south america, break into countries or regions) they are very detailed, more so than garmin of the similar areas

i have a report about all the upgrades and changes i did to the XT HERE

would i pick it again...yes for the type of riding i did want it for, a KLR isn't and will never be a bike i own for lots of reasons but i am changing my bike to something very different, its actually sitting in my garage right now...i'll fill in more details of what i'm doing/ riding in the coming weeks. :huh too much other crap to deal with than that right now :lol3
  14. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
  15. daveburton

daveburton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now you have me guessing.

Uly trike .... ??

dave
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    here's a photo of the garage i just moved into and when i get a few minutes i'll get some shots of it...its under one of those covers :wink:

just a few pounds heavier than your sherpa John, more than double the horse power, and when i'm done with it i'll have 31 liters of fuel, and Dave its not a trike or a BMW

[​IMG]
  17. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    right back at ya...circa 1998 with TOO much luggage on a 19,000 mile road trip on a V Max of all things :lol3:lol3:rofl:rofl:lol3:lol3

note the high end riding gear we were talking about :deal:wings:rayof:p3rry...we don't need no stinkin' Goretex

[​IMG]
    dave6253 likes this.
  18. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Ha! Am sure that thing went very fast on very straight roads :D

So what's the prize for guessing ??
    My bet is on a Husky, but of course I can be totally off and can't wait to see what it is .. :rofl
  19. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    How do you get 31L of fuel on a WRR??

Lessee, I'm gonna guess a 4.7 gallon IMS tank plus a coupla Rotopax containers.
  20. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Could be that 350 KTM with the big Safari tank? (bring parts and $$$$$$)
    Australia OutBack will EAT that bike up! :lol3