690 Rally Replica questions...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by F650Dakar_Norway, Jan 17, 2010.

1. italrally

italrally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds very cheap !

How many kilometers ?

How many rallies ?

What did the ownwer before with this wonderfull bike ?
  2. Cummo

Cummo Cummomoto

Oddometer:
    Fix the suspension or it will kill you.
  3. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season? Supporter

Oddometer:
    No rallies. Only done some training on a local motocross track nearby and some additional rides in the neighbourhood. He had planned to do some rallies, but family responsibilities came first so the bike is not much used.

My plan is to use it on Norwegian and Swedish gravel roads and do much long-distance gravel-touring here in Scandinavia. It sure beats the 800GS in action range and robustness for that purpose.

Since I ride all-year this will be my preferred ride for multi-day regional adventure-rides without requiring luggage capacity. I'll simply live in huts and other facilities along the ride and enjoy the extra range and robustness it provides.

I'll use the 650 Dakar for winter rides, the F8GS for luggage-requiring summer commuting/touring and the RR for those extended gravel sport rides.

Will do. I expect some suspension tuning is in order when I get it. Thanks for the headsup.
  4. italrally

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  5. italrally

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
  7. Cummo

Cummo Cummomoto

Oddometer:
    I dunno much about your riding style or intended use.....but if you intend to ride this thing at any speed off road..... the suspension will need more than tuning, the bike is a pig, you need to uprate the front springs to 5.0nm, change the valving and gas pressure. The rear will swap like nothing you have ever ridden, it will throw you on the second switch, get the 2009 rebound stack and revalve more, reduce the slow speed compression, dont play so much with rebound, its just the stack, get rid of it as soon as you can. Be wary of this bike, its a nasty thing at speed and you can never relax on it, or as charlie says, three switches and your out! Fun, fun, fun.

Ooppps, sorry I just read youre post above, should be a great bike for what you intend to do with it, enjoy it, its a dream on garvel roads and long hauls.
    F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  8. john_aero

john_aero Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. komatias

komatias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So much for ready to race eh? I mean, if you have to put it through an extensive re-suspending regime just to make it ridable?

Anyway, if you got the money...we can only envy you. Enjoy it
  10. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice, Cummo. Due to strict Norwegian laws it won't see much true offroad, but a lot of gravel roads, tractor roads and long mountain stretches with different qualities. I won't race it - just flog it occasionally on good deserted mountain gravel roads and generally have a good grin. :clap
  11. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    You are the luckiest, we all hate you, now get lost........ :wink:
  12. italrally

Oddometer:

Cummo, could you explain me exactly please the differences between the 2007/8 and the 2009/10 KTM 690 Rally Replica shock ?

Thanks Mic
  13. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new purchase! Now with the 450s taking over the rallye raid world we'll be seeing more of these beasts for sale :wink:
  14. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mic, did you get a standard 690RR and do the Despres paintjob, or do you actually own an ex-Despres bike? How do you get your hands on an ex factory bike?!? :ear
  15. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    Yup. That's what I reckoned too. And obviously the seller too. I'm riding over to his garage now to sign the contract and sort out the business part.
    I'm damn lucky and can hardly believe it myself. Have to pinch my arm to be sure I'm not dreaming.
    Testriding it in a couple of hours from now.
  16. italrally

Oddometer:

Hallo Tony,

it is a standard 690 Rally Bike, but with a lot of factory special parts.

First i did the paint job with a local painter, but after 6 month all the paint on the tanks made bubbles. So i was lucky and i could buy !!! special painted tanks from the factory KTM Rally devision.

This bike is the best offroad (rally ) bike i ever owned.

Hopefully the KTM rally department will continue to sell this bikes.

I think, the rules for the 450 bikes are valid only for the Dakar, not shure if also for the 2011 FIM rally world cup.

So Tony, do you want to change from 450 homemade Rally Yamaha to a professional KTM 690 Rally Replica ? :clap

Mic.
  17. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    The 450 rule will initially apply only to the top "A"-class Dakar riders in that specific rally. But most top riders will ride 450's - so it's anyone's guess
    when FIM rallies etc. will follow suit. It may take some years - I hope.

But money speaks - and the organizers will decide what makes the best PR and make executive decisions thereafter. Time will show.
  18. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    That one really is mint, nice find and congrats! :thumb
  19. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Lukas. I actually got it through Pal Anders Ullevalseter, who put me in contact with the seller. It was a Once-In-a-Lifetime Opportunity - and I jumped for it.

The seller bought it new in spring 2008 to do rallies on Ullevalseter's team, but he got a daughter and chose to put his family first. His now 2 year old daughter has already got a mini crossbike and the father is raising her to be a motorsport enthusiast as himself. He's still racing RR, but decided to ditch his plans for rally riding. A real nice guy to deal with.

I'll take an enduro license this summer and need to pay some tax to get it on street-registered plates legally. That way I can use it as transport to/from the barren gravel-roads up in the mountains.
  20. italrally

Oddometer:
    So you got your new toy finally ? Show us some more nice pictures from your baby !