Voltage regulator problems?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ffr2370, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Crashed Bad

Crashed Bad Big man, little bike

Oddometer:
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun
    That's the plan. Just limited on time. Was hoping for plug an play, hit the road!
  2. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    where you headed? the desert cooling off yet?
  3. Crashed Bad

Oddometer:
    Either Baja or Heber!

Starting to poke back into the hundreds again this week. been nice riding at night though.
  4. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Fried mine this week. Destroyed a Braille battery, then a piece of shit I got from the local autoparts store. I was left stranded on the Kokopelli.

I was about the trouble-shoot the whole electrical system today, but this thread happened to resurface today - my preacher was right, the internet ain't just for looking at boobies.

Thanks guys!
  5. DLH

DLH Lurch the Lurker

Oddometer:
    This winter I plan on replumbing the VR to another location far away from the exhaust--not sure where yet, but it won't be sitting above the exhaust collector.
    I even had my pipes Ceramic Coated while I was away on travel this summer to cut down on radiated heat but it is still really hot--I have the 2>1 setup.
    Not sure what the reasoning was by KTM engineering, but anytime I see a heat-sink sitting next to a major source of heat causes me some concern.
    I've got a few days ride planned for this weekend and will wrap the collector area with header wrap before I go.

I guess, to make a long story short, it is piss-pore positioning of a critical device.

BTW--This is probably the funnest MC I have ever ridden or owned. It has its quirks, but damn, it sure is a blast.
  6. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine has been located here for awhile. I don't know if it's a better location but it shouldn't be any worse. Yeah, what were they thinking!

[​IMG]
  7. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think ur problems start with the battery.

2007 SE, original battery
    Started the bike at home....15min of riding time to get to work(i noticed a strange smell when I stoped but thought it was the rain on the pipes:deal)
    My battery was dead after work...jumped started the bike and the battery got smok'n hot and bubbling after only about 60 seconds of running.
    Installed a new battery and all worked purrrrrfectly.:clap...1000km ago.
    What I think is happening is the batterys are shorting out and full fielding the charging system...this puts a max load on the VR and burns it out after an extended time of running like this.
    I was luckey enough to only have the bike running less that 30 min during the battery short.

Install a new battery every 3 years..it;s cheap.

EDIT: When I went to my dealer I wanted to order a new VR also..they said they have NEVER SOLD A VR FOR AN LC8, and there re quite a few of them arround here.
  8. Crashed Bad

Oddometer:
    Mounted up a used regulator from an Adventure an inmate sent me yesterday. It fit along the frame with zip ties (liek Misery Goat did) for now with no cutting/extending of the harness. It will not make it to the stock postion. The old 950 ADV regulator forward lead is 8" shorter than the SE. All the newer regulators appear to have the same part number for 950/990 ADV and SE.
  9. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    These VR make alot of heat by themselves. I mounted mine in the tool kit area of my adventure. It runs 245 usually even on a short ride. The underside does have heat shielding on it. Going to make a vent to flow air at it.
    [​IMG]
  10. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    Relocation on SE?

To you fellows that relocated your VR's on SE's. Is the stock wiring long enough to move the VR between the frame on the left side like Misery Goat did or does it need extended?

Just checking before I pull it apart. Hoping I can just swing it over and reattach it. :deal
  11. MP5

MP5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm..... waiting on this aswell .
  12. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I think you are endangering your battery, if this is a OEM R/R.
    Cheers.
  13. Kenbike

Kenbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Shoria battery failed and it was so hot and the case was expanding from internal pressure that I I expected it to explode. Installed a new Balistic battery and found I was getting about 13 v when running so Ken Wheelers @ Wheeler Cycle close to the Tail of the Dragon said to use a Ric'c VR. I made it home with out further issues and should have a VR in the next few days.
    He has had very good luck with Ric's parts.
  14. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are limited how far forward you can move it. One connector is behind the battery.

This is where I relocated my new VR (12K miles on stock VR before is started erratic behavior) it was charging below 12V at idle . . . . new VR charges 13.5V at idle,

[​IMG]
  15. nattyMo

nattyMo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread all,

I've been having the same issue with my 07' 950 SMR. My second VR just failed killing my TurnTech battery.

Rather then install a third stock VR I've decided to try one of these:
    http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=10-014H&pmc=MDdLVE05NTBTTVI=

The Ricks part has a good rep from what I've seen and isn't much more than the stock part.

Should run cooler then stock, I also intend to install on the LH side of the airbox using water resistant connectors. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Anyone have a good source for a clean looking dash mounted volt meter? I'd rather not get caught out on ride again.

Thanks
    NM
  16. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check shops with boat equipment, they carry such stuff and they usually are analog looking and waterproof.

edit
    The sort of stuff I am talking about:
    http://www.angleseymarinesupplies.com/electrics-gauges-compasses.php
  17. bhorocks

bhorocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:

mounted mine in same place but recessed it so it doesnt stick out (little to left and lower inside triangle)... have to get a picture to show later..
  18. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nattyMo [​IMG]
    Anyone have a good source for a clean looking dash mounted volt meter? I'd rather not get caught out on ride again.

Thanks
    NM

I used a Faria Marine 2" gauge . . . . but will switch over to a smaller digital gauge soon. It did identify my VR going bad before I was stranded: http://www.martelmeters.com/products.php?cat=1
    http://www.powersportjunkie.com/KOSO-NORTH-AMERICA-BA024BOO-p/PU-2212-0311.htm

[​IMG]
  19. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Why are there so many people replacing the failing stock R/R with another stock one?

Uller mentioned the solution last year (I gave him the idea :D), the Shindengen MOSFET R/Rs are a very popular upgrade on many bikes that have problems with R/Rs...

Costs less than stock and is a better design, in OEM quality.

20. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most likely since it is Plug and Play. ...and many are not comfortable with messing with the electrics and having all the proper materials/tools to do the job.

Secondly, when VR's go bad (without an appt.), quickest way and most sure to get back on the road is to replace with an OEM.

Your idea(s) are great... perhaps if someone could put a "How To" or a Kit together it would be easier to entertain.