Southeast Arizona - late February

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by gregdee, Jan 21, 2014.

1. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    Got a week off at the end of February. Thinking of ADVing around southeastern AZ coming in from central NM. Route is ill-defined at this point. Will likely come in via Springerville and down 191 or over from Silver City on 78 down to Three Way. Been on both routes a couple of times but from there west and south will be unchartered territory. Would like to take the Black Hills Back Country Byway as I've been by it a couple of times but have not had the chance to ride it. Wife and I will be on a couple of Tigers and are fine with dirt roads and 4WD tracks. Silt sand, extended boulder fields, or steps are adjectives that probably wouldn't make for a good day of riding on her part but we do like an adventure.
    We like primitive camping but water is always an issue so tips on areas where we might find streams to camp by would be appreciated as well. We will probably stay in a motel/hotel/B&B for a night or two along the way. Any cool ones worth checking out?
    Advice on cool must see stuff or fun routes would also be appreciated.
    Judging by maps there appears to be plenty of dirt roads around Douglas, Bisbee, Nogales, or maybe further west.

Thanks.:ear
  2. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have patience. Somebody with knowledge of that area will chime in sooner or later. I've got family in Douglas and Willcox and based on the stories they tell me, the only bit of advice I can offer is to watch out for the drug traffic and the illegals. Crazy stuff happens down there.
  3. mntdawg

mntdawg NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer:
    Araviapa canyon, Chirichaua national monument, Bisbee Copper Queen hotel, Middlemarch road, San Pedro river road, Coronado national memorial (Montezuma pass),Sonoita and the Santa Rita mountains, Happy valley (Rincon mountains)
  4. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    Sounds like some good places to look up. I will get those into the GPS.
    I like your location. Love Salida and the surrounding trails. Ridden pretty much all of them by mtb with my favorite being the north Monarch Crest CDT route way up high then dropping down to the lakes above Garfield. Absolute epic!
  5. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    You need to PM Xskydiver....He runs a guide service and knows SE AZ like the back of his hand. Tombstone, Willcox or Douglas all have motels at reasonable prices.
  6. Crashed Bad

Crashed Bad Big man, little bike

Oddometer:
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun
    191 from Springerville can be very cold, even snow in Feb. Check the weather closely if you come down this way.
  7. mr.slowpokey

mr.slowpokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How safe is Sonoita? Heard its a bit risky to camp there due to the human and drug trafficking. I've wanted to check out Gardner Canyon, but heard its not a good idea.
  8. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    Yes, we rode south to north last year during the same week in February on our way back from Big Bend. Stayed the night at Hannagan Meadows and there was only one other group of guests there. Snow pack was decent at 9,000 ft but roads were clear and the sun was shinning. Super fun road. Things could have been way different. I recall seeing a picture in the lobby taken on Memorial Day weekend several years back - total white out conditions in the middle of a blizzard.
  9. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    Looking at our Benchmark maps there appears to be a good number of FS roads around Patagonia. What's that area like?
  10. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    Ask some of these guys: Cochise County Area Thread. Bunch of good guys.

Patagonia area FS roads are great. Pretty safe area to ride through. Camping at Patagonia Lake or Parker Canyon Lake is good. A group of us camped out at Rucker Lake in the Chiricahua Mtns 2 weekends ago.

I agree with the Chiricahua Nat'l Monument and Portal Cafe recommendations. Add Montezuma Pass (south of Sierra Vista) up over to Parker Canyon Lake to your "fun to ride" list. Middlemarch Pass through the Dragoon Mtns is also fun, and allows you a chance to see Tombstone if you haven't before.

Bisbee seems to be where all the hippies landed when Woodstock blew up in '69. :deal
  12. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    That area is pretty well traveled by bikes, quads, RZRs and BP. Madera Canyon area is nice riding. Sonoita itself has a large BP station. I've never had a problem riding in and around that area.
  13. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Find the Rattlesnake Ranch very cloe to Gleeson, easy adventure, but one of the coolest things you will find in SE AZ. Also at the end of Middle March Road, some really coo, rock formations. Bisbee has a resturant with a well in it, pretty unusual. I use to love the burgers at Volgans Alley, across fro, m the Crystal Palace, in Tombstone. Bignose Kate's bar, interesting secluded patio to hang out, secluded for you and a friend. Good camping at the end of Allen Street RV park, miggf let you pitch a tent. I love SE AZ!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
  14. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    Lots of good stuff here. I think I'll just print it and bring it along.... Two more nights and I'm sleeping in the tent. Can't wait.