KTM - LC4 Round the World ADVenturization

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rtwpaul, Feb 21, 2013.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    i did Ushuaia northwards in 2011 all the way to prudhoe bay, click in my profile for the other ride report, loads of dirt in every country and state, but it would have been more fun on this KTM

who is the best suspension guy for these models?

thanks for the offer of Russia info, between you and Walter (Colebatch) i should be covered but that is literally years away, as i'll head west thru India/ Pakistan/ Middle East and Europe before i loop back to do Russia and Mongolia, west to east and then back east to west

good to have along for the ride
  2. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    how is her welding fixes that i suggested holding up? she needs all the structural support possible on that little bike at the pace she can move down a road, your ride sounded like fun.
  3. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    Her bike is receiving some TLC from a mechanic in Santiago right now, where she and bubbletron are currently. I don't know what welding fixes you suggested, so I can't speak to those, but she's almost done with the trip. I think she's planning to be in Buenos Aires by mid-March.
  4. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    it was a problem with her rear subframe and luggage mounts, she got a fix done when we were in Cartagena...that bike needs some lovin for sure, sounds like most of the guys that were on the stahlratte are about done, as for me back home and working on heading out again...this adventure life sucks :lol3
  5. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    She'll likely be shipping the bike here to Seattle at some point this year, maybe as early as late March. Hopefully I'll have a chance to tear the bike down and do a bit of work on her. Part of the reason for my lurking here -- see what generic bike issues might come in handy. And it'll give me ideas for finishing up my TE610 :deal
  6. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    get that thing cleaned up and sold and get her a drop seat dr650 she's dreaming about, hopefully you know about that?
  7. huzar

huzar Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer:
    She's dreaming about a lowered seat dr650? First I've heard of it. Damn it, why I am I the last to know :baldy

:lol3

I'm guessing there will be another 650GS in her future, maybe one with a factory lowering kit? I'd talk her into the F800GS, but that bike is taller, and besides, with that much power, there's no way I'd ever catch her :lol3

I'll be keeping an eye out for an XT225 or XT250 for her for here, so we can go do some dirt riding together. That yellow piggie of hers doesn't do so well in dirt.
  8. biensur22

biensur22 litigious poster

Oddometer:
    I was just reading about the new f700gs in this months motorcyclist magazine. Worth a look - restricted f800 power plant, optional 30" seat height, etc
  9. Lc8grrr

Lc8grrr Vtwin madness

Oddometer:
    Unless I missed it and your bike has one already (but being an earlier SXC probably not) is a cush drive rear hub as on an ADV or 640E. Probably save gearbox issues down the road..
  10. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what the SXC comes with for stock fork and shock springs but, if your installing a larger fuel tank and adding luggage you'll need to re-spring the bike.

Also, Cjracer offers a hardened water pump shaft for the LC8 motors, maybe if there's enough interest we could talk him into doing a special run of LC4 hardened shafts?
  11. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put a grease nipple on the suspension linkage bearings that are in the frame.

Have a good trip!!
  12. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in too. :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    this is one of my things to do for sure, i have been looking at RAD manufacturing to make up a set of rims for me, little spendy but way cheaper than transmission replacement:huh
  14. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    respringing (is that a word:lol3) is a must, original spec shows the bike is set up for rider of around 160 lbs, well he won't be riding it i will and i top the scales at about 240 with gear

i was toild about this company for suspension needs http://www.stillwellperformance.com/main/

I met CJ at Dust to Dawson a few years back when i was riding back from Prudhoe Bay, he said if i ever need anything made for any bike let him know....
  15. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    do you have a photo of where you put yours? good to have you along
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    :clap
  17. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re-spring/ re-sprung :lol3 Slavens racing is another option for springs http://www.slavensracing.com/shop/fork-springs-wp48mm-43mm-x-485mm-for-ktm-husaberg-wp
  18. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
  19. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Or maybe take a look at DID Dirt Star rims. Very highly regarded over Excel and others.

Good group of KTM experts here. Have fun with the build!

Does your BST Mikuni have an extended Fuel/Air screw? Very handy, easy adjust at altitude for better starting, idle and low speed running. Helps with MPG too.
    (The DR650 has the same carb ... so I've messed around with them a bit)
    You can try different needle tapers too. Put some sort of decent (but NOT restrictive) fuel filter as BST pilots clog easily. (carry a spare pilot jet)
    If tuned properly you should get decent performance ... and good MPG. (open air box top helps on the DR)
  20. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite

He may actually have a frame with oil... In the US they only imported 03-04 SXC's which I have and they lack the quart in the frame reservoir some European and Australian bikes do. He mentioned the word Carnet so Im assuming he is not from North America

I have used both the 18 ltr and 28 ltr (actually I use the 2001 adv tank which has a 30 ltr) and for what you plan I would go with (if you can find it) the 28 liter hardpart acerbis tank. Skip the faring but if you have to then you will have to get the carrier parts and weld a bracket on the head tube then use a oem 28 tank and adventure faring.

as far as wheels
    Just buy the 02 LC4 OEM cush wheel complete (and carrier)with the wider DID Dirtstar 2.50 rim . Keep your front .. respring both front and rear.