Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Parcero, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Dual sport riders from the Chicago area typically have a hard time finding good places to ride. I have found some nice unpaved country roads and trails through the woods in Allegan County, Michigan, about a two hour ride from Chicago. From Chicago, this trip can easily be a day trip, out and back, or an overnight trip using any of the nice hotels or B & Bs in the area, or even camping if one desires.

The roads and trails pictured here are in and around the Allegan State Game Area in Allegan, Michigan. The area is a 40,000 acre game preserve that is used for hunting depending on the season, so I would not recommend riding the trails during any hunting season, generally which start late fall.

Getting there from Chicago can be done on any number of roads, but you will want to get yourself to Glenn, Michigan to be close to the trails. Glenn is located about two hours from Chicago on Blue Star Highway at 114th Street, on Michigan's west coast. Glenn is a charming little town in itself. Good food can be had at The Glenn, the local restaurant, which is a biker's favorite on summer weekends. Or hit the Full Belly Deli located in The Glenn Store across the street

Ride east out of Glenn on 114th Street until 66th Street. Turn left and ride north to 116th. street. A right on 116th will point you east toward the dirt roads and trails.

About mile down the road, you will be inspired by this road sign:
    [​IMG]

With very little exception, the roads will be gravel, like this:
    [​IMG]

The roads might be straight and flat, but at least they're not paved!

Follow 116th east until the road narrows and becomes a one-lane road. Around 46th Street you can take any of the trails to the left or right of the road. Avoid anything marked no motorized vehicles. Most of the trails are wide enough for a car, although some narrow down to single track. They are dirt or packed sand in most areas, although softer, deeper sand can be encountered along with some muddy areas. I have ridden a large portion of the trails on both my R1200GS and KLR650, both of which easily handled the conditions.

Here is one of the sandier trails:
    [​IMG]

If you plan to camp, the Ely Lake Campground offers primitive, but nice, camp sites.
    [​IMG]

Ely Lake
    [​IMG]

The area has many well-marked snowmobile trails.
    [​IMG]

This nice trail through the woods started wide and got down to single track.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding the trails can be a multi-hour affair if you so desire. At the end of the day, a stop along the beach in Glenn offers superb views.
    [​IMG]
    IWaxMyAdventureBike likes this.
  2. Backmarker61

Backmarker61 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot, you're right, the riding is pretty slim pickins' around here (NW Indiana / Chicago) even for asphalt riders. We usually head into Michigan for our rides as well. And we came up with a pretty good 1-day loop. The farther north you head, the better it gets, but that is definitely longer than a day trip.

Anyways, thanks for sharing (even if I don't ride off the road), it's nice to see this area featured a bit. :thumbup
  3. Parcero

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words Backmarker61. Yes, we live in a part of the country that's not the best for motorcycling, but there are some bright spots. If you know of more, post 'em up.
  4. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting on this area. I've ridden the area a little on my DR and alot on my PC. This area has good road riding too and great restaurants are easy to find.....I would be careful in the Allegan forest for the next few days because there is a manhunt on for two escapees. The police can't find them but seem to think they are hiding in the Allegan forest somewhere?:defend
  5. Parcero

Oddometer:
    Whoa! Yeah, I was planning on heading out there sometime in the next week or so with a friend but maybe I'll hold off until I hear something further. If you hear they found the escapees, let us know.
  6. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    No one knows for sure but I heard this afternoon that they might be in Indiana now.
  7. Ack535

Ack535 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. I have a buddy at work who told me about the Allegan area, I have yet to make it down there, maybe I will now!

Pete
  8. JTB488

JTB488 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They found them tonight in Canon City, Colorado. So all clear.
  9. scotty69

scotty69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good place, there are a couple prisons there!
  10. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    great post, love that part of the country
  11. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    You also might try SE near Rockville, IN..... Great twisty gravel roads. Most covered bridges of any county in the nation. No real trail system but very picturesque. Winds all over by the Wabash River. This is Parke Co. IN on your map.

Also check out the West Michigan Thread. We often talk about this area and others similar to it. Spend lot's of $$$$ in MI. We need them:D.
  12. Parcero

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on Indiana. Might give it a try tomorrow. :thumb