Grill Guards and Mud Flaps for Girlie

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by birddogone, Nov 27, 2012.

1. birddogone

birddogone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still in the process of making my new to me 06 Tiger mine. I have always been a mud flap fan on all my vehicles however, on the Tiger it seems to take away from its' fine silhouette. My machine will spend most time on the road with some fire trails and gravel roads in the National Forrest. The front mud flap I've ruled out, but after much searching I like the Touratech grill guards the best excluding the price naturally. My question is, does a rear mud flap make that much difference and has there been enough damage history to radiators and oil coolers to warrant spending $200.00 on grill guards.
    Thanks,
    Rod
  2. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a look at JC Whitney - (really!) Front / Rear mud guards, $7 - got 2 sets - about $20 with shipping. I used em on my XC - havent installed on Girlie yet. Work Great! Can send pic if you provide email. May get away without Radiator guard on primarily sand / dirt roads - tho all of those here also have rocks. Gravel roads - its a real good idea - I dinged up my KLR radiator pretty good on one 200 mi gravel road trip. For what its worth... a buddy of mine 'fabbed' one out of steel mesh & attatched with zip ties - $10. It didnt look as 'cobby' as it sounds.
  3. birddogone

birddogone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the reply! PM sent.
  4. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Birddog' - replied to your PM. Sorry for tardy response - out of town. Cheers, j