2012 KTM 350 freeride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bikeaddict, Oct 18, 2011.

1. MexMex

MexMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow...this is HARSH!
  2. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    It's also largely inaccurate, the poster is confusing import regulations, which are federal, with licensing regulations, which are state laws, among other things. There can be, and probably are, 50 different sets of applicable licensing laws in this country, depending on which state you're in.
    Suffice it to say that importing your own Freeride would be expensive and time consuming.
  3. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I would bet (no experience going TO America) you could get the plates, tabs in the country you bought it in and then just keep it that way.

"Give" it to a British friend and if stopped for driving a out of country vehicle with a local liscence just say it belongs to said British friend and you were taking it out for a ride for him.

I got pulled over in California on my KTM 690 about 6 months back. I had a Colorado divers liscence, Texas plates and insurance from Washington state. It's happens alot... me getting pulled over when I come back to the US from a riding in a country with virtually no traffic laws! That combo of paperwork mess usually gets cops real excited, they reach for their guns and act like the just found Osama and are gonna call Obama. But it usually ends with them being friendly, giving their number in case I need anything or get hasseled in the future.

You could easily come here to Malaysia, buy a freeride, ship it from our massive shipping centers and in a few hours get yourself a Malaysian Drivers licence from the JPJ. Then when you got pulled over you could give them the Malaysian licsence along with an IDP.

I am curious though, from a business standpoint, what would be the reason(s) for NOT bringing a bike like the freeride that they've already designed and built to a country they are so popular in and have a massive dealer network set up already?
    The only thing I can think of is they have a limited number of them and they make more money selling them in other countries?
  4. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Acutally, I'm not. I'm trying to condense many pages into a concise summary. If it is misleading as a result, I apologize.
  5. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, there is the cost of EPA certification. If it is similar enought to the 350EXC/XC, it may not cost that much.

Second, KTM is already selling every one that they can make in other markets. They are a small company, and at capacity (except in India). They know that most Americans (not those of us on this thread) think that bigger is better. Just look at the first few pages of this thread where folks want to go back to 350XC horsepower on the Freeride. And the 350EXC/XC are being outsold 3 to 1 by the 500EXC/XC. As a business proposition, KTM is deciding to make more 500s for the US market.
  6. Dozer720

Dozer720 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You hit the nail on the head! :clap Here is the question that sums it up...why is the KTM 300 2 stroke the best seller? Answer...because they don't make a 400 2 stroke! It seems every year, at least in our market in AZ, we order less and less of the small stuff and more and more of the big stuff, 500 EXC's way outsell 350 EXC, everything outsells the 200's and 250's in all of the segments...300's XC and XC-W....450 SX-F, 500 XC-W / EXC....everything else is filler. We get asked the question about the Freeride often but realistically the price would have to be such on that unit to make it attractive to buyers and still attractive to KTM and their dealers that it would be prohibitive in the US market.
  7. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I edited my post for clarity, not to be argumentative.

It's also largely inaccurate, the poster is confusing import regulations, which are federal, with licensing regulations, which are state laws, among other things. There can be, and probably are, 50 different sets of applicable licensing laws in this country, depending on which state you're in.
    Suffice it to say that importing your own Freeride would be expensive and time consuming.
  8. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been done; see post #585 and following......
  9. One67

One67 Tell 'em the captain sent ya.

Oddometer:
    It is sad that the "bigger is better" mentality is prevalent enough to prevent a great bike being imported to your country, but there's not much you can do about it.

I've been riding dirt and road for over 30 years, I had "big" bikes when I was young and confused accelleration with speed.

Now in my mid 40's ,the Freeride has been the best dirt bike decision I've ever made, the fact that I'm leading my equally skilled mates on their 450's through single trail proves it to me.
  10. MexMex

MexMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The confusion is more of power with acceleration.
    I did wheel to wheel drag race vs ktm 300, 250, 200 and CRF450
    I might have 27 HP on my FR but 100% of them translate into acceleration while the 50 HP bike just move earth backwards.
  11. windquest

windquest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does anyone know if they are for sale in canada now cause I could have sworn that one drove down my street tonight.... it was in Calgary, AB
  12. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    In Malaysia and many other coutries around here there is almost a direct proportion between cost and cc. I.e. a 500 costs 2X as much as a 250. At US prices it would be hard for me to chose a 350 EXC over the 500... but of course the Freeride is a totally different animal than the EXC's.
  13. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:

The most accurate statement about this subject!
    KTM didn’t bring this bike to this country because of this!
  14. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    Fat dudes who don't race always need the most horsepower possible.
  15. MexMex

MexMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a friend (250 lbs) that dont race and LOVES his FR...
  16. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode the new Freeride at a H&H yesterday,going great in the tight woods until I heard a knocking noise,lifted the seat to notice the plastic subframe mount had snapped,very poor design.Will be talking to KTM in the UK regarding this soon.

[​IMG]
  17. One67

One67 Tell 'em the captain sent ya.

Oddometer:
    Oow, that's no good.
  18. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    eek, that does look like a horrible design.
  19. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the price of a 228 lb. wet weight - a plastic seat support. There is no rear sub-frame. Which is one reason the FR isn't a good candidate as a DS. See the first 5 pages of this thread.
  20. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    I don't think it is unreasonable to make a 228# wet weight bike that's tough....

Here's a Honda hybrid idea... get a XR200, and replace:
    suspension with CR85 custom to your specs
    BBR Frame
    CRM250 engine

And you've got a capable 200 lb wet weight bike of similar proportions, more reliable and power! :lol3 And all with 20-30 year old technology!