The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with KRONO, go with your gut feeling. In your situation, money is tight, I know, been there, done that. I've never been without a bike since I got my licence, so I can't imagine how it would be to not be able to ride. Some of the folks on this thread frown on "non owners" posting, but that's how I got information, and ultimately, went with the CRF. Thinking that you could hand down the bike to your son/daughter, so that makes it more cost effective. Good luck!
  2. eyeopenher

eyeopenher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah, i felt like i was 17 again going to buy my first bike... lol i was gonna write how i should put on my big boy pants... glad you pointed it out... and i would like to say sorry to everyone. this is not a comparison question or anything like that... i asked this question here cause, well, who else to ask, but the owners of what i am looking to buy... no disrespect intended...

thank you SAPB... thats why i was just writing this... i just read lost's post (NOT POINTING FINGERS) after i posted it and felt like a heal...
    and thank you Krono... thank you for pointing out that i already knew the right answer and to grow up... lol

and yes, if it wasn't for this specific thread, i think i would have bought the k**250s yesterday when i first found it... so i thank each and eveyone of you guys and gals...
  3. yyz

yyz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For someone who doesn't own a CRF, your input to others is meaningless

4. AZDavis

AZDavis n00b

Oddometer:
    My circumstances are very similar to yours, an important consideration for me was "how will this vehicle do in storage"? I don't mean properly put away, i mean when i can't get to it for 6 weeks because life is going on. The fuel injection Honda seems to be more tolerant and forgiving of the ethanol blended gasoline commonly available (or so i am told) than the carborated Kawi. I have been quite happy with my Honda after spending $20 to replace the front sprocket and seat bolts. Other mods are in the works but in three manageable chunks, tires, controls, and armor probably in that order at about $300 apiece. I'm at a month of ownership and 300 miles and couldn't be happier.
  5. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    My apologies, I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad or not welcome at all, just pointing out things about ADVrider that will help folks get on throughout the forum. Staying relatively on-topic is a good skill to have around here, along with developing a good BS radar.
    I do a whole lot both online and off to promote our sport to folks and enjoy helping out when I can. I turned to ADvrider many years ago with the same questions as a new member, and folks with more experience helped me out but also pointed me in the right direction as to where is best to ask certain questions, though they weren't as civilized in the good ole' days on ADV before all the fucking PC. :wink:

I think I will just start a thread like I was talking about, I'm not the police and don't want to be one, there's only so many hours in the day and this thread could be a full time job if I cared that much.
    I do believe this thread has gotten too big for its own good in some respects when it comes to just discussing bolt-on parts, troubleshooting, tires, DIY, upgrades, packing, and the like. Lots of pages here to find that kind of stuff. LRP Adventurer stuff.
    For LRP owners a new CRF250L Adventure Traveler thread that's very specifically laid out could be a good resource, especially with updates to the first post to index it, while this owners thread stays as more like what it is - the go to place for everyone to talk about the LRP or to ask actual owners direct questions since it's the place that many folks are coming no matter what the first post says.

Stay tuned. :evil
  6. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost Rider, I agree with you that a new topic should be started for the Newbie, or just for those who want questions answered about the new CRF250L. Just to see how the WR250R thread handled their post and they have 32,824 plus post, they pretty much are as out of control as we are. I read several post and they to get asked the same question day in and day out, with pretty much the same answers over the last five years, so I'm pretty sure it will happen here to. Here is the last page that was post today, see what I talking about, a Review, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337&page=2189
    and as many of you know the results by now. Good luck maybe were can get something going. Now does that mean that we have to go over to the new forum and answer their questions to keep them off of this one.
    John
  7. gaw777

gaw777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This Thread has gotten too funny. It's kind of like a good movie, with commercials, some good :clap
    Some not so good :huh
    Just have to get past the commercials to gleam all the good stuff, cause there is plenty of it on here. The sad thing is sometimes one has to go thru way too many commercials to find answers to asked questions.

Have owned the lrp since November, done some mods, looking to do a few more. Been 15 years since I have been on the dirt, mostly riding sports bikes on the tracks and a lot of things are different getting back on the dirt, so the lrp is a perfect fit at this point. Looking to get the few extra ponies and I think it will make the perfect bike for the time being. My biggest issue coming back to off-road was that I needed a short seat height, 30' inseam. Being able to put 2 feet down is very comforting :D. Tried taller bikes, got tired of falling off.
    So far though, stock, I have found nothing it will not climb, at least for my ability at this point.

When I get to be a big boy rider, I will maybe move up to a stronger bike.... if I can find one with the right seat height.
  8. Avi8tor

Avi8tor ADV Poser

Oddometer:
    I would offer $3,500 for the klx and go from there.
  9. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    Hi Marc. I agree with Krono. Go with your gut. You seem like the kind of guy who hangs on to a bike so you can logically amortize the cost difference over the years of ownership. The cost difference will then be less noticeable. So, if you own the Honda for 5 years, the cost difference only amounts to an extra $27/month over the Kawi. Only you can answer your question if it is worth it to you. Good luck and let us know what you decide..... Green Hornet or Spiderman Red?
  10. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just want to chime in on which bike to buy.

First off...get whichever you like more. People get far to caught up on bike capabilities....there less important than most think. The only things that really matter are safety and fun.

Second. Never. Ever. Pay all the dealer fees. I tell them wipe the fees or im out. Never failed me yet. Usually gets knocked from 700+ dollars to less than 100
  11. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, here's some semi technical stuff for other CRF owners. I was thinking about an LED taillight bulb. Ended up taking off the silly bracket and reflectors that hold the lisence plate more vertically...ended up taking the rear mud flap off to get at the screws....Grrrr...Oh crap...nasty "Japanese Phillips" screws....and the sumbitches were tight as hell...took vice grips to get them loose. Replaced 2 of them with M8 hex head washer head bolts...the 3rd one was a big head shoulder screw....nuts....dug thru my scrap bins...found one of those funny "top hat" washer sleeve things that keep you from crushing the rubber vibration thingie...filed it to the appropriate height...DONE!

BUT, that leaves the lisence plate light that has the silly plastic spacer under it...took all that apart..CRAP..nope...gotta keep the stupid spacer.

Soooo...why am I telling owners all of this. Those screws were stupid tight...without the right tools onboard...can't repair a blown taillight bulb...and I've had nice policemen tell me..."fixit or get it towed". So, do it now, in the relative comfort of your garage, with a fine adult beverage at hand.

AND...NO...I don't want to spend $100+ to save a pound or so replacing that light assembly.
  12. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    I paid $200+ UNDER the MSRP, no "prep", shipping or other fees that the Honda website says the dealers MAY charge. Plus a $95 "office fee" that the MI and OH secretary of state REQUIRES for processing all the paperwork...plus 6% MI sales tax
  13. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    Precisely
  14. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buried back in this thread several days ago, someone asked about a Seat Concepts low version for our CRF250L. I just got mine stapled up so here are some pics.

It is the low version carbon gripper red.

[​IMG]

He has two reds I chose this version.

[​IMG]

Honda's website says the seat height is 34.4 inches. Seat Concepts low version appears to be an inch or a tad lower.

[​IMG]

I have zero ass time on this seat-we got 9 inches snow here today so I am not going anywhere soon
  15. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    that red is sweet
  16. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, in case anyone is wondering I did take the bike out of the wheel chock before I shot the seat height pic so it is an accurate measurement.
  17. toddol1971

toddol1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you never posted an off topic post in a specific thread. Everybody does it, newb or not. I've read alot of off topic posts in this thread made by people that own a 250l. Does that mean they shouldnt post in here too. Of course not. What it means is that stuff pops up in your head and you say it to all your new thread buddys. Whats wrong with that.

In all my years on this interweb I dont remember someone so worried about someone posting in a thread about things not directly related to the op's post.

I understand that it would be nice to have it that way, but there are some legitimate posts on here that arent necessarily about the op's post

There are alot of guys out there that are waiting to buy, or hoping to buy this bike and looking into the owners thread can get them alot of info. Occasionally that means they may compare it to the bike they have or have had at one time. to me this is totally exceptable. I feel bad for that guy you ran off. My grandpa always said, "if you live in a glass house, you shouldnt throw stones."

Oh yeah, I'm sorry this is off topic.
  18. toddol1971

toddol1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally legitimate post imo. The guy just wants to know what youn's think about your bikes.
  19. toddol1971

toddol1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didnt know that either. Thanks
  20. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice...I believe it may of been the wife that posted about the low seat. I just ordered one in black. I was kinda skeptical on how the red would look, but seeing it now, it woulda been a great choice also. Does it actually feel lower to sit on, even though it may be a bit wider than the stock? Thanks for posting up the pic's