KTM 690 luggage & rack thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trallewatsch58, Jul 22, 2008.

1. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey! You don't have to rub it in!:lol3
  2. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894203 is my current steed that leaves with a new owner tomorrow. (Sorry for the link but work has Photobucket blocked) My 2013 690 R is waiting for me in Pelham, AL. but I cant get it until after I return from taking the wife to Disney World next week. 20 yrs of marriage this year and she never complains about my hobbies.
  3. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    grats on finding one! These bikes will put a smile on your face.
  4. RWC

RWC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Received my wolf man side and tail racks last night. side rack mounting holes are not lining up on the top of the fender, anyone else had this problem and how did you fix the problem? had the same problem on my f800 but could get more leverage on the bars as they were longer and could pull them into place
  5. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the same thing. The Wolfman racks are usually spot on. You may have gotten a bad set. I would return them for another set.
  6. KC-10ENG

KC-10ENG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone was wondering...The Rally Raid side racks and the SW-Mototech top rack will not mate up with one and other.:cry I believe my fab guy is going to get the chance to cut up and mod the SW rack so that I can use them together.
  7. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    For whatever reason, my left side fit perfect, but my right side rack did not fit up correctly. I used a big soft mallet, and some towels in my vise to re shape it to fit. I had to make it work as I was leaving on a trip.

My other racks from them have been spot on.
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Quick question about the Wolfman racks, can the top rack be mounted without the side racks? There's no mention of it on Wolfmans site.
  9. everetto

everetto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the top rack comes with two sets of bolts with different lengths, one set to be used with the side racks, the other set if you don't use the side racks.
  10. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a note to any Rally-Raid products customers with our Soft Luggage Racks who have had problems fitting them to 2013 model KTM 690 Enduro,we have checked the latrest models against 2 earlier ones,and the new ones seem to be 3-6mm longer between the pillion footrest mounting holes & the top M8 threaded holes in the rear tank.We dont know why this is as all part no's are the same,they are just coming iut of the factory different to the pre-2013 bikes. If any customers have a problem lining the holes up on their new bikes,get in touch,and we will send new design Soft Luggage Racks with longer slots,to cope with the different models.
  11. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of changing my luggage setup. Right now I have the Wolfman E12 enduro softbags.
    I'd like something where I can carry a rotopax, a 20L dry bag (about medium size) and have enough room to move my butt back while standing up (a problem with the E12s).

Here are some of my options:
    Giantloop bags may allow this setup, but does anyone know if it'll work on a 690? I'm not sure what prevents the bags from moving forward.
    [​IMG]

No offense to the owner, but I wouldn't want a setup like this as it would be too cramped:
    [​IMG]

2. The full wolfman racks, bags and rotopax mounts. Very expensive and I'd like to get away with the lightest setup I can.
    [​IMG]

3. Keep the E12s and get a Wolfman top plate. I can carry my duffel bag and rotopax on the top plate (I think). It sucks to have all that weight up high, but for most of my weekend camping rides, I won't have to rotopax with me at all.

Anymore options? I know that there are different top plates and luggage systems...I'm just looking for feedback overall. I'm leaning towards just the top plate for now. This will allow me to move my duffel bag waaaaaay back so I can move my butt around.
  12. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    I've posted this somewhere before but here is my Giant Loop Coyote set up: I like it :thumb

On the bike is everything I need for extended trip and some stuff I don't. :lol3 I also have GL Mojave for day rides - perfect.

There are straps on the back of the GLC that I fix to my SW mototech rear rack. It's held in place very well.

Dry bag is from Watershed and held to GLC by cam straps - going nowhere but with me.

Assuming you've chunked oem center of the sun pipe - wouldn't recommend soft stuff next to incendiary device but GL does sell a heat shield too.

Not sure on mounting up your rotopax though. If it'd fit could be nice to have these mounted on sides of bike with GL over it. May have to explore that option myself. Fuel is usually close by in my region but have a trip in planning that will require aux juice.

[​IMG]

On the bike:

[​IMG]
  13. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I'm with you Thorin,the whole point is to enjoy the ride. Why buy a lightweight powerful bike like the 690 only to cover it with 100 lbs of crap?

On my last trip which was 8 days moteling it, no camping. I went with my Wolfman E-10's, Wolfman duffle (wouldn't have even taken it except I have to have a CPAP), KTM tail bag and Wolfman Enduro tank bag. And I could still get to the gas cap just by popping off the tailbag.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of ditching the KTM tailbag for something like the Wolfman rear rack and then I can either throw on a tailbag or a Rotopax when I need the extra gas.
  14. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Wolfman Expedition system for both my Yam WR250R and my 690. I am usually gone about 2 weeks at a time and camp at least a few nights. My whole kit weighs in under 35lbs. That includes a Kermit chair. I know because I keep one bike in Arizona and one in Boston so I have to fly with my kit. They weigh it at the airport.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    I use a Coyote bag and 1 gal Rotopax and sometimes a Wolfman dry bag on top of the Rotopax. I have full use of the seat. The Coyote hooks to my rack so it does not slide forward. One drawback is that you have to unhook (easy, just tug on strap to release hook, then reverse after fueling) on the top of the Coyote to add fuel.

Rear view (middle bike)

[​IMG]

Carry just minimum (this small bag actually takes some of the seat space which the Coyote does not) needed for occasion.

[​IMG]
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    That's the big conundrum for me, that whole set up I used for my NWAT trip weighed in at less then 15 lbs INCLUDING the bags. If I want to go camping along the way though, then I have to at least double the weight. So I end up riding my DR when I camp because, it's already a heavy ass pig so the added gear doesn't make much difference. :lol3
  17. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pantah, what is that seat cover you're using, sheepskin?
    I love my seat concepts over the stocker on my 690, but it needs a >< more padding or something..
  18. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Option number 2 is the ticket. The Wolfman racks do not way much at all. And it gives the option for the Rotopax mount. The large loop luggage is not that much less in cost than the Wolfman set up.
  19. KenbNZ

KenbNZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

The Wolfman racks (I use a RR rack also) keep everything very stable.

I use the racks for a range of different bags, including Wolfman panniers and saddlebags.