Wee & Wingabago Wanderings

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by steveb126, Jun 3, 2012.

1. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Down to Looking Glass Falls
    [​IMG]
    Through Rosman,NC and over the Border
    [​IMG]
    Down the straight but not really narrow path that is SC11
    Table Rock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View from Ceasers Head
    [​IMG]
    This was the night that I decided to stay a couple more days so back to camp and did some laundry at the camp store at Mt Pisgah. Dude named Billy was working had a couple laughs with him, a converstion with a BMW couple from ATL that were staying at the Inn, then a delightful retired snowbird couple from Brooklyn/Miami Beach that stop and tour the BRP each summer on their way back north and then off to bed.
  2. steveb126

Oddometer:
    151 Mt Pisgah road up to the parkway then ends there. I wonder if maybe this would have been the route the Vanderbilts would have taken to their Lodge near where the Inn stands today ?
    [​IMG]
    After a look see at Looking Glass I headed down 276 to explore some FS roads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stopped for a break at these cascading falls when a XL650 rider swung in to say hi and check if I was ok, probably the awestruck giddy smile you could see a mile away on my face from sensory overload and my decision to stay another couple days. The woods were so alive with fresh mountain air, smells so thick you could see them. Stinkweed is dudes inmate name and he explained to me the meaning, (wasn't what I thought since I came up in the 70's). Shared some good route tips, Thanks Stinkweed ! Before he was out of sight I thought to myself Dang It why didn't I snap a pic ? So I head on down the road and a guy approachs from the opposite direction, we both slow up and stop. Clockwatcher has a really nice Transalp that I've seen pics of on here before, he was generous enough to go over the route tips suggested by Stinkweed and gave me a few more for west of 276. This time I snapped a pic, Thanks Clockwatcher !
    [​IMG]
    So down the road I go with a plan, under the parkway and down through Bent Creek
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anonymous rider, looked orange to me
    [​IMG]
    Got back on the parkway at 191 and stopped back at camp to eat lunch and double check my atlas for an afternoon of more FS roads.
  3. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Headed down 276 again and went W on FS roads. The Looking Glass Rock is one big ol hunka rock. The perspective you get off the parkway isn't the same and I was still quite a ways off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eventually came out on 215 above where I've stayed in the past at Lazy J, check Jimmy out they're good people. Headed down to Rosman with threatening skies, should have headed N back to the parkway. Torrential isolated summer storm complete with thunder, lightning and hail came up so quick didn't have a chance to booty & frog togg up, Found a shelter near the pool in town and waited it out for a good hour or so.
    [​IMG]
    When I made it back to camp it was time for some gourmet tuna casserole
    [​IMG]
    Slept like baby that night except for the occasional coyote call or bear looking for a pic a nic basket
    [​IMG]
  4. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Determined to make this day count for another 400+ mile day I was out of the campground by 7:30
    [​IMG]
    couple artsy playing with camera shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is across from a boiled peanut stand where the guy will yell "Come see me again" and throw peanuts at ya if you turnaround in his no turnaround posted parking lot
    [​IMG]
    Down 19 to 28 and back across the Dragon. 72, 411 and 360 back to Tellico Plains and another ride from the opposite direction on the Cherohala. My tires were definitely getting warmed up and felt a little squirrely so I checked them and they were aired up just fine, but I impressed myself with how I evened out the wear pattern using the whole tread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Probably one of the finest overlooks anywhere !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Back to camp via 74 Smokie Mountain Xway, stopped in Sylva, 276 out of Waynesville to 215 back up
    [​IMG]
    waterfall on 215, chatted a lady on a bicycle, not even in my younger days could i pedal up mountains like these.
    [​IMG]
    My goodness ran into some rain again approaching the peak. Made the best of it arrived back at camp pretty dry this time. Another soaker but you'll have that. There were more than a couple times I got somewhere and folks asked me if I got wet and the answer was no so I think I dodged more than I rode through. Nighttime stars shining so bright up on the mountain and temps in mid 50's at night. A little hot in the lowlands near 90 during the day but much cooler up in the mountains of course. Superb weather !
  6. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Started out my morning at sunrise with about 30 grateful friends at the overlook just NE of the Pisgah Inn where the Vanderbilts Hunting Lodge once stood.
    [​IMG]
    Packed up and headed for home. Back tracked some of the same route. Rode the parkway to NC80>226>TN107, jumped on I-26>I-81 got off just before Marion onto 11 looking for gas was about to run out, good thing I exited there was a major back up for a good couple miles due to construction that you could easily see from 11 since it runs parallel to the interstate. Headed N across 16 again seen many more bikes out on the "Back of the Dragon" since it was Sunday.
    These orange fellas got behind me somewhere along the way and we stopped for a chat at Thompson Valley Store. Yes I did pick up the "Back of the Dragon" T shirts. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    Spent a lot of summers with my grandparents in these hills and went to Graham High School for year down there when I was a child and the only thing they knew about the mountain roads was travel with caution. So even though I'm considered a tourist when I bring that up people are really gifted at the gab and want to know if you know their family or vice versa.
    War veteran memorial and French tribute train car
    [​IMG]
    Coal Company structure built by Italian stonemasons. Itmann,WV was a booming coal town to have such a majestic structure.
    [​IMG]
    Even in our modern age coal mining is a dangerous occupation.
    [​IMG]
  7. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Coming home was a 600 mile trip left at 9am got home after 11pm. Took the same section of slab home up I-77 from Charleston,WV to Strasburg,OH as it was getting dark and I'd had enough of the 2 lane. Was feeling pretty fatigued so the pace was slow and steady as the day slipped away. 2,937 miles, 9 days, 8 nights. Around 500 miles of slab, around 150 of gravel/dirt, the rest miles of smiles on the 2 lanes. I realize a lot of you may have been to these places your self and many of these places are well known on this sight, but I figured I'd try to give some back of what I enjoy so much about ADV rider. Heck one of these days I may even make a monetary donation.:D
    [​IMG]
  8. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Great pic. I kept an eye for you. I seen your ride report when browsing with my phone. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.
  10. Scootard

Scootard Scraggle McSquarely

Oddometer:
    You got some awesome pics. Thanks for letting us come along.
  11. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words Scootard !
    Did you check out klaviator 's RR, he was coming N on many of the same roads on an Aprilia Sportcity 250. I'm now hankering for a scooter, but promised myself a dualsport as next bike. Blessed to have way more than I need already, and so it goes, if and when He sees fit..
  12. Scootard

Scootard Scraggle McSquarely

Oddometer:
    Yeah I follow his RR. I have him in my favourites along with yours and others, so it's easy to catch up. I am enjoying his ride but your pics are more eye-catching. What kind of camera are you using?
    Whatever it is ....you're workin' it. Our RR pics are either Sony or Canon point and shoot, and we tend to snap multiples then sort them out prior to posting for the day. Works for ScooterChck and I.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799933&highlight=squampton
  13. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Actually I'm using my phone ! HTC EVO 8mp
  14. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Took off for my favorite area western NC again on July 24th
    Set up camp at:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I rode I77 into Charleston,WV then 119>23. When I got down around Norton,VA I've noticed that 23 swings west around the Mountains. I decided to investigate. In Norton I took Alley Valley/High Knob S and it turned into gravel Forest Road 213 down into Fort Blackmore VA72. Nice little break from the 4 lane 23. Back onto 23 in Gate City,VA.
  15. steveb126

Oddometer:
    My Birthday ! Carolina Hemlocks Campground is on NC80 below the BRP. I headed N on the parkway and took off down 226A in Little Switzerland to visit some friends in Marion,NC. Right near Bear Wallow Rd I happened across a Mama Bear and 2 cubs. Even though I have my phone/camera right on the handlebars I've not gotten a pic any of the 5 times I've seen bear in the wild. However I did get a wild life pic down in Marion of a flip flop wearing, ape hangers higher than the helmet sub species of our ilk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hung out in Marion for the afternoon looking at foreclosed properties for sale in the area. One I had checked out on line I was really interested in already had a contract wrote 2 days after listing. Another that was listed at $6,900 turned out to have an additional $25k lien on it. Checked out another north of Spruce Pine (off NC80 up Rose Branch) and enjoy a twisty ride on NC80 Between 226 and 19.
  16. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Rode the BRP from Buck Creek Gap (NC80) S to 19 around Maggie Valley into Waynseville.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Back to BRP via 276>215
    Waterfalls right on 215, some kids were swimming at the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. steveb126

Oddometer:
    NC197
    [​IMG]
    Switchbacks at Hawks Nest
    [​IMG]
    I Love U 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Visited with some friends at noon in Weaverville
    [​IMG]
    Checked out the Vance Birthplace. 'Ol Zeb was Governor during the "War of Northern Aggression" or some such little skirmish as they call it down here in NC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then came the localized summer thunderstorm. I got lucky, donned the froggy toggs and skirted it. Somehow missed my turn to head back up to the parkway and found a cool road Reem's Creek that meandered back around to Barnardsville.
    Friday night the campground filled up fast. Swimming hole on the Toe River is a big summertime draw.
  18. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Lunch @ Bearpen Gap, Craggy Gardens,
    uh-oh Yogi the Rangers not gonna like this
    [​IMG]
    There is a turn off for Stony Fork on the drive up to the picnic area nice gravel road and it beats hanging with the Sarurday afternoon crowd on the BRP. This little private owned mill is near the bottom outside of Dillingham,NC.
    [​IMG]
    I found Forest Road 74 that heads up Walker Mountain and deadends at the trail to the waterfalls. Several nice waterfalls on the switchbacks on the way up.
    [​IMG]
    Huge butterflies
    [​IMG]
    The hike to the falls is 20-30 minutes, moderately strenuous and it had just rained so it was slick in spots.
    I guess the falls to be around 90 foot or so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Came back down the mountain headed N on Dillingfham Rd back across 197 and the skies were again threatening.
    [​IMG]
    Hung out at the Burnsville library and downloaded some FB. Neat little square where the library sits with a playhouse and the Yancy County Music Museum. Shoulda taken some pics. The Lovely Rea and I will check it out next time we go down. My solo trips are justified as scouting trips for things we like to do together.
  19. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Sunday Morning Coming Down, trying to decide whether to head home, stay put or move camp closer to home. Decided to pack up and head N on the Parkway. I was on the road and out the gate by 7:30am. I love the quiet solitude of early morn. Headed N on the BRP still a little undecided on setting up camp again or mosey home. It was a very clear day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Decided to spend the day on the Parkway and set up camp at Peaks of Otter
    [​IMG]
    I met 2 couples camped out separately and was bragging to the first that I'd been out since Tuesday. They had been gone from home 3 weeks ! Touring a VTX1800 with a cargo trailer they were returning from Nova Scotia. The other couple on a 2001 GL1800 and a bunkhouse were from Brevard,NC. I kinda got us all talking to each other and here the couples winter at the same spot in FLA. Pretty sure they exchanged info and I may have a had a small part to play in that. Pretty cool.
  20. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Packed up and ready to roll from Bear Wallow down 43 to Buchanan,VA and WV roads.
    Couple early morn shots before exiting the parkway
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Near Eagle Rock I detoured to some 3 digit state routes (615 & 621 up through Roaring Run & Rich Patch 616) that sorta run parallel to 220 and came in the back way to Clifton Forge,VA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sulphur Springs/606 North out of Clifton Forge I came across Airport Rd/703 which my Atlas and Google maps showed went through to Warm Springs. Closed at the Ingalls Field airstrip. Conservancy people had closed it. Yes there was a sign at the of 606 & 703. Nice ridge top views.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Backtracked 703, N on 606 picked up 220>39>92>28>250
    Green Bank
    [​IMG]
    you can still see the thing 3 or 4 miles up the road
    [​IMG]
    Stopped at the picnic spot on 28
    [​IMG]
    Stopped again at the city park in Elkins,WV where I picked up US33 to WV47 to I77 in Parkersburg and back home well before dark.
    Got away before they noticed me
    [​IMG]
    The road is narrow.
    [​IMG]
    Ducked under some shade in Smithville to rehydrate
    [​IMG]
    7 days 6 nights
    [​IMG]