Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. The Dogger

The Dogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Royal Club

Royal Club Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having a bit trouble understanding the highlighted part.. Maybe you could take a picture of what you mean?

I have two fuel tanks, one ugly one, one 'o.k.' one.. (well actually they both are fugly.) but BOTH had the Oring dried out that sits between the tank and faucet (whats the proper word for the on/off/reserve thingy?)

I've been soaking the orings in gasoline since yesterday.
  3. Royal Club

Oddometer:
    Oh, I think I understand what you mean, like a locator that meets with a locator on the intake manifold, to align the carburettor in the right position? Yeah I think it has that, but the manifold side has been cut away since the fcr/XR dont align.

this thingy?
    [​IMG]
  4. The Dogger

Oddometer:
    That's it , yes. I tried mating mine together , and think I may grind that locator tab off with a dremel. Other than that , it appears to want to fit OK.................are you saying your inlet manifold is shorter than standard ?

Are you leaving the hot start on ? What have you done with the TPS ? I'm guessing just leave it alone ? I saw a blanking plate on ebay a couple of weeks ago , and now I can't find it:rolleyes

The "on/off/reserve thingy " is a fuel tap ( faucet is Merkinese for tap :D so same thing )

Cheers , Stu
  5. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Fuel petcock.
  6. Royal Club

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the manifold is stock, could see the parts that were cut off.
    Leaving the hotstart on it yeah, done a itty bit of reading on it and it says it helps starting big cc engines...
    The TPS is just dangling. didnt do anything with it.

If you have not done it yet, I'd advice you to just buy an CRF450 (2005ish) throttle tube and cables assembly, XR cables can be made to fit, but requires a bit of effing around with one of the cables and the stroke on the throttle tube will be pretty long. I bought a crf throttletube/housing/cables as a set for just 25euros...

Oh, and while you are ebaying around, find a roll of heat wrap, the acceleratorpump housing sits pretty close to the header in the case of an 2in1 header, if you have the 2/2 header which mates IN the silencer you're gonna have a problem, you either have to rotate the carb and have it hold a strange angle (not even sure if the fueltank will fit in that situation) or you need to cut the upper header pipe and reweld it so it runs around the carb instead of hitting it.
  7. The Dogger

Oddometer:
    Well the good news is , the carb came attached to the throttle cables and tube . Result ! £30 posted to the door:clap
    The bad news is that the grip on the tube is very badly worn , I may have to splash out on a new one [ sits down in darkened room hyper ventilating at the thought of such a rash move ]

Cheers , Stu
  8. Royal Club

Oddometer:
    nuoh my gawd.. You got a fcr for 30quid posted?
  9. The Dogger

Oddometer:
  10. Royal Club

Oddometer:
  11. Royal Club

Oddometer:
    yeaaaah
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kKogu1_yzKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P1NzGZ1cGXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    2:19 pm monday choke blues

Hey!
    I need some help...
    Steve? anybody.
    1992 600r carb...
    So it was like no choke after the XR's only plate conversion...
    Finaly decided that wont do. Took of the carb and I could see the spring wasn't bringing the choke into action. Disengauged spring or binding plate...
    Anyway, now I need the trick on how to re-engauge the little spring.
    See pic...
    After getting the screws and plate off you can turn the shaft around when the choke lever is clear, but I wasn't gripping anything. So in working that back and forth I pulled the shaft back too to look in there. I guess there's a flat spot, but I can't get it to engauge.
    I'm off to the store to look for replacement screws cause I had to do surgery to get one of them out. I'll be checking the site soon as I get back...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry John. My XR still has the OE choke on it.
  14. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    Yes I know that, but thought you mught have fiddled with one of these...
    Christian does a lot of fiddling...
    How 'bout it Christian? Are you out there? Got the trick?

Back from the hardware and got 3mmx6mm stainless allen screws. They look just like the ones XR's only supplies.

Upon removal I had one allen strip and had to hacksaw a slot in the bugger. Man am I glad I got it out cause the slot was even giving way!
    Loctite was doing it's job.
    The original phillips screws are mulled over to prevent accidental falling out. They had to be ground up on their threaded ends prior to unscrewing, so I wasn't gonna try to use them over.

But hey, Is this the spring people have talked about that they wish they hadn't undone it when they were doing carb work? If so...I need the trick!
    There's that plugged off area on the outside of the carb. If ya gotta get in there how do you do that?

I await your answer!

2many
  15. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    XR's only says to pop the cap off from inside where the shaft was, reset the spring giving it one turn of preload, and reinstall the cap...

I'm heading for the garage to give it a try...
  16. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    hey bud, my oe carb has a homemade plate on there...it looks like they did a good job except for the fact that they did not drill any backfire holes in it...

BUT like your post above thats what I read too...just like the return spring on the pulley arm you got to wind it, keep it in place while inserting the shaft...

I THINK? ajjajaja

good luck!

christian:D
  17. 2manyrides

Oddometer:
    OK, seems to choke good now. I was getting no choke and that was a BIG pain!

The spring has a tang bent over to ride the flat on the shaft, but it leaves too much room to jump the flat at 1 full turn. I think the normal must be a 1/2 turn in the spring.

I had some other issues going on too. While the thing was on the bench with choke off the lever could bypass the stopper on the arm and unwind. That was a combo of worn plastic lever, loose holdown screw for the indent and I tweaked the indent a bit to keep things in place better. Hadn't ridden it in a month or so. After reinstall I got it started on the 4th kick. But I could tell it was gonna be good to go on the 2nd.

I entered today's arena prepaired to put the original plate back on, but once I saw it wasn't actuating I looked into the problem. Should be good to go on the next ride. Did a jaunt including freeway and yep she's wanting to do some dualsport again!
  18. mrfixit54016

mrfixit54016 Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer:
    Royal Club,

Nice bike. I used to have an 87 here in the states. Still wish I had it.

[​IMG]
  19. Royal Club

Oddometer:
    Thanks mrfixit! When I got mine it was a piece of trash..

Did a little fine-tuuuuuuuuning on the mixture/CO screw on the FCR. The XR takes quite a while to heat up properly, but now when its warmed up it picks up pretty good allready and drops back to idle pretty fine. Now we wait for the dyno run and see some figures:deal
  20. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:
    Thats what I want for my next XR... :evil [​IMG]

:freaky