'78 r100/5

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Donkey, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    changed the headlight brackets this winter, march 1st is friday :p3rry

[​IMG]
  2. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words :D the bike had a heel/toe shifter on it and I changed it out for the single unit which I prefer. Yes, the bar controls are stock bmw /5 controls. still available from bmw, As for the gen light, yes, there is a light and the motogadget speedo unit has warning lights you can use...

here's a shot of when it was first installed. this is the 'classic dark' edition. it allows you to turn the lcd display almost off to retain the vintage look if you don't want to see all the data. It has a tach and odometer in the second and third display lines. Most of the typical instrument lights are in place, high beam, neutral, turn signal flashers, oil pressure and a lot of info you can setup / choose from in the two display lines. In this pic, the lcd was all the way up out of the box until I managed to sit down with the instructions for a while and set the settings :huh

[​IMG]
  3. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a terrific looking bike. Really liking the black wheels and hub trend around here lately. Cleans up a visual soft spot on the originals, imho.
    (which might be why I've always liked the look of Lesters :dunno)
    :thumb
  4. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    :clap

That is one gorgeous look... clean... neat.... well executed. I like the fact that you have the "practicality"of the /6 electrics and the big headlight, but the feel and actually the look of the Slash 5 with that single speedo. Nice!

[​IMG]

Curious: where did you put the ignition/key (not on the left side of the headlight, I see!)...

:D
  5. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, yeah the simplicity and elegance of the /5 components was always appealing to me. The black/white paint, hella bar end signals and chrome side covers were parts I felt were 'quintessential BMW'. Initially, once the bike was together it was pretty clear that the stock /7 gauge cluster was not gonna work visually and I had a speedo problem anyway. I was going to use a /5 headlight & speedo setup but the motogadget unit is very tidy and well made...

oh the ignition key is located just at the bottom of the tank on the left side.

[​IMG]
  6. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you bud :thumb I appreciate it. Yes, when I first saw the black wheels on prewar racers, it occurred to me that it was a big part of the look of that particular bike. I decided to go with blackened hubs, rims and hub caps but leave the brake carrier and rear drive bare, bead blasted aluminum like the rest of the engine and transmission.
  7. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a few build pics I found for those interested...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

motogadget speedo install & bracket. the first one was a "test"!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was one of my favorites, since I remember the feeling of realizing that was all that was left...

[​IMG]

out on a day ride in autumn in new england...yes, that's my heated gear jacket liner cord :D thanks for looking and sorry for being such a pic whore :beer

[​IMG]
  8. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    There can never be too many pictures.

:thumb
  9. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well done.
  10. Mal S7

Mal S7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wins my vote for best of show!
    Thanks for posting

cheers
    Mal
  11. kaput13

kaput13 gasoholic

Oddometer:
    Retro engineering at its finest!!
  12. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. I'm a fan of the black wheel look too. :clap

Only thing I'd now do is a cnc top triple.
  13. Mal S7

Mal S7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that seat from a /6?

Or short wheel base /5?
  14. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a LWB /5 replica from S. Meyer GmbH - Germany.

http://www.meyer-bikes.com/ersatz3.php?cat=32

their site is a bit wonky but it's part # 52 53 1 233 960a

this is a pic I took of it when it arrived, very comfortable, good quality and I have approx 2,800 miles on it now.

[​IMG]
  15. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Very Nice! Ya, the speedo was a must have over the /7 pod. (and that pod is quite valuable BTW, you could sell it and pay for a lot of stuff)/ Why no 13 pleat gaiters on the front? I'm used to the fork tubes on a /5 having a heavier look. Also, gloss black paint on the steel disk on the carb tops can be a small detail that looks really good. Like the black on the wheels it ties a mechanical part into the color scheme of the bodywork.

I gather you keep this thing away from traffic and darkness
  16. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you :D yes, the gators are something I thought about doing but decided not to use them because I liked the way it looked. The stock instrument cluster was sold to a bike in need :evil

The badges are actually part of that particular air box cover which was originally made for the last year R65 I believe and happens to fit. I can probably get the part # for you if you'd like. I remember it wasn't in stock in the US and came from Germany. I ordered the air box cover that had those badges, really wanted to just have BMW on the engine. :eek1
  17. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    I think that's right... from a later R65... I found one on eBay that I put on my OleRed cafe. A lot of covers say BMW, but they are the square-at-the-back style to go with the flat airfilter box. This one has a little swoop up so that it meets the old round air filter boxes. It also has a cast scoop on top (not the rubber thingamajig)....Makes for a nice look, I think, and glad to see it on MILESTONE's bike as well!

[​IMG]

Hmmm... I think the supply/demand thing is going to make these a lot more costly than they used to be.....:lol3

:D
  18. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    Yes....

[​IMG]

As implied by Milestones, it is evidently still available from BMW, the above is the parts fiche from MAX BMW.
  19. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never thought I'd be tinkering at this level on this motorcycle... but, I got some stainless steel hardware and finally, with a very full flavored coffee, enjoyed some late winter garage therapy :*sip*

the hardware consists of all the drain and fill plugs plus the lever bolts and control screws...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. kaput13

kaput13 gasoholic

Oddometer:
    Fabulous little details, beautiful bike. Question: I know those chrome sidecovers were not appreciated at the time but they look superb on yours and it ahem... gives me an idea.:D Did you source them new somewhere?