Dakar 2013 - Official Event Coverage - thank you ALL TeamF5, lurkers and posters!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He has a never give up attitude which I like. Knowing him he will still try and win every stage going forward.

The problem is we still have 2 more days of dunes from hell to come.
  2. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    The GPS is normally "off", only displaying speed over ground. When you get close to a waypoint via roadbook navigation, the GPS "unlocks" and displays an arrow guiding you the last meters to the WP. The WP is then logged and you can continue navigation.
  3. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    :D nope.

But "Us vs Them", "Kiss my ass", "Minis are for girls" and "Nasser designed that buggy so it's crap" are...:deal
  4. ric678

ric678 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2) Between 2 WPM or WPS, the GPS will only show the compass heading and the speed. Once the
    Competitor has entered a 800 m radius around a WPM or a 3 km radius around a WPS, the GPS will
    display all the usual functions of a GPS: COG (Cap over Ground), SOG (Speed over Ground), CTW
    (Cap to Way Point), DTW (Distance to Way Point), etc.
    All this information will also be displayed on the screen of the GPS towards a WPE, once the
    preceeding Way Point has been passed. In the case where the Competitor has not validated the
    preceeding Way Point, the information will be displayed on the screen, once the radius of 3km
    around the WPE has been penetrated.
    3) Competitors must respect the chronological order of the Way Points of the Stage concerned. If

from pg 23 official rule book
  5. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Also, as I understand it, if you determine you are completely lost you have a code you can enter and it will point you toward the next waypoint. Doing this means you incur a time penalty and you can only do it a certain # of times through the rally.
  6. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure, and might as well make it for all whose ponies are not yet in the corral.
    :clap
    :clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap
    :clap
  7. JR_FX

JR_FX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed that Mario Patrao, the rider with the only Suzuki in the event, has a 15 min penalty. Anybody knows why?
  8. roadracer

roadracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the difference between a WPM and a WPS?

Nasser was complaining that he was within 3km of a WPS but the gps didn't turn on and give him a heading to head towards?
  9. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We shall see. He has certainly mastered hovering.
  10. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IF you do that, it opens all the WP's and you are disqualified when you get back.
  11. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Try it yourself:
    http://www.ertf.com/uk/quizz3_gps.asp?Num=1&Rep=Q

You try to figure mentally what you've done, and wait for the next landmark that you can relate with the roadbook to recalibrate your distance on the odometer. That's how I do it with variable results anyway :D
  12. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:

roadracer, Doyle has an excellent Dakar nav and scoring tutorial over here. :thumb
  13. ric678

ric678 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For safety reasons, the Competitors have the possibility of unblocking the GPS by inputting a specific code:
    ‘WPM’ Code
    This code, given by the PCO at the request of the Rider via the Iritrack, activates the usual functions of a GPS and makes all the next Way Points visible.
    All use of this code will result in the following penalties:
     from the 1st to the 3rd utilisation: 6 hours penalties per utilisation for the first 10 in the general classification or A.S.O. Elite Riders, 3 hours for other Competitors.
     the 4th utilisation will result in Disqualification for all Competitors.
    21P SPEED CONTROL ZONES - DEFINITIONS
  14. Laffi

Laffi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's what PAU says after todays special; (free translation by myself)

"Yet another fine day on my part - all in all a good start on the Dakar 2013.
    But Barreda Bort (stage winner) drove past me in an amazing speed, and I thought there were little I could do about that today.
    I drove alone all day, wich i normally do not enjoy. It is often best to ride with a few, to ensure you're on pace and on track regarding navigation, but I think it went well today choosing my own pace and route.
    And the terrain is suiting me right now. The best thing I know is to drive in the sand, and there's plenty of it right now!" :evil

May we see some climbing up the order tomorrow?

Here's the links for PAU's sites;

Facebook

Ullevalseter Homepage

Laffi
  15. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    It seems like almost everyone in this race has that "never give up attittude." Well, except one particular person from last year......:D

Didn't everyone, Peterhansel included, have some issues with those dunes last year. Something to the effect of; it's not if you get stuck but, how long you spend being stuck?
  16. Enduro10

Enduro10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Messy and heavy dashboard
    Pipe in front of the oil filter ? Need to remove to change the filter ?
    Front tire is still new - sand ?
  17. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, was thinking it was something like this. Fairly heafty penalty but for a privateer who is in it to finish it I can imagine could be worthwhile when things go bad and you are lost.
  18. ric678

ric678 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the regulations, and it explains how the GPS opens up within 800m of a WP with an arrow to bring you into to it. If you get within (I think) 90m of the WP, it blanks out again, and only shows you your heading and gps speed.

So when you get to a huge dune for example, where you have to deviate you need to get back to a point that you think is close enough on the other side, and reset your ICO to the approximate mileage you should be on. Preferrably you want to set it to the exact mileage given at some known point, but in a dune field there are no refernces, so you have to estimate the additional mileage you have ridden and subtract that form your total ICo when you get to where you want to be.

As soon as you go past a known WP like a junction marked in the roadbook, you can re calibrate your ICO correctly again to the exact RB distance and go on from there. Until then you will likely be following tracks and taking big risks because a hazard maybe nearer or further off than you think.

Make any sense?
  20. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: